A New Sorceress from the Philippines

Hello, I am from the Philippines, a country from South East Asia that’s dominantly in practice of Christianity or Catechism. My current relatives are all under the Catholic religion and I was one until I began to practice controlling the energy I have unconsciously been using for the past few years lately this past several months and currently an uninitiated sorceress. I heard that October 31st is the New Year for witches. How can I be able to celebrate the Samhain without my relatives knowing? Could someone please tell me how? I am not initiated either nor part of any coven nor do I know any from my country who uses or practices the use of sorcery.

Thank you,
-Margaret

5 Likes

Hi @anne2 Margaret!
It’s so lovely to have you here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I was also raised Catholic so understand your concerns - fortunately this part of our calendars ties nicely together and with similar intent. For Catholics October 31st is All Hallows Eve leading to All Saints Day on the 1st November - a time of remembrance and connecting with our dearly departed loved ones and ancestors. In Poland (where my family is from) the cemeteries look like this every year (which is pretty magical)!

If you were looking to keep your celebration subtle and closer to Wicca it could be as simple as creating a subtly elemental altar (no symbols which might offend the family - just flowers or salt for earth, shells/water, and burning a candle for fire and incense for air) for your ancestors - if your relatives see, you can confidently say you are saying a prayer to your ancestors for All Hallows Eve/All Saints.
I hope this helps! :heart:
Also as far as initiation goes, check this out:

I look forward to hearing more from you soon! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
4 Likes

Thank you for the prompt response Limeberry. I was worried I would get caught especially if a Pentagram could be seen in plain sight. Now I can use a different material that won’t attract unwanted attention.

Merry part,
-Margaret

3 Likes

Oh absolutely, I’m unfortunately living with my beloved mother at the moment - I love her but it means I have very limited personal space and if my mum saw a pentagram she’d flip :joy:
This is/was (am currently in transition for Samhain) my subtle Mabon Altar Flowers in the North for Earth, Incense in the East for Air, Candle in the South for Fire, Shell in the West for Water. Left and right two candles in Autumny holders for the Goddess and God.

2 Likes

Merry Meet @anne2! I’m Kasie, from West Virginia in the States.

HearthWitch on YouTube has a wonderful video on celebrating Samhain both for people in the broom closet or not. From anywhere to wearing orange socks to remembering about the past year.

Hope that link to the video helps! I look forward to chatting with you!

2 Likes

Thank you, kasie.

I’ll check the link out a bit later today while my parents are out of the house. Also for the welcome I’m grateful as well.

Merry meet, merry greet and merry part,
-Margaret

3 Likes

Merry greet Limeberry,

I live not only with Catholic parents, I used to be a member of a ministry in their faith. Anything associated with sorcery is assumed satanic in the blink of an eye and I’m sorry to say I was one of those people until this occurred to me for all I know they might attempt to have me exorcised or whatever spiritual ceremony is done there. That is why I am thankful that there are subtle methods to not be caught when participating in a celebration. I pray that Nature protect me from those with ill intention towards me.

-Margaret

3 Likes

Welcome @anne2, I’m kinda in the same boat, but in the US, I can probably slide under the radar a bit, but finding a place to celebrate where I live might be a bit trickier.

4 Likes

Thank you, brenda10.

I intend to use meditation at night on Oct. 31st to talk to them. I do not know why but there are times when the spirits of the deceased elders of my mother’s side and an ex fiance tend to visit me in dreams especially if said dream includes memories of being abused or hurt.

-Margaret

3 Likes

A very warm welcome to you, @anne2! :heart:

I am so happy you found your way here, Anne! :blush: As a collection of solitary witches from around the world, the forums are a great place to have our online coven and share knowledge and support with one another- you are very welcome here! :two_hearts:

Yes, Samhain is coming up and while the holidays are very exciting, it can indeed be a tricky challenge for those still in the broom closet. To help you celebrate this wonderful time of rebirth and new beginnings, you might consider making a very small altar that can be packed up and stored somewhere safe- like a Travel Altar.

There is also a great video and guide on Witchery Discretion by SilverBear that talks about how to safely practice your magic in the open :+1:

Since you are new to your practice and may not have any tools, you can always create everything you need in your Inner Temple :hindu_temple: .

Feel free to make a post in the forums anytime you have thoughts, spellwork, or questions you’d like to share- there are many here happy to help! :grinning:

It is a pleasure to meet you and I look forward to talking with you more soon, Anne- Blessed be! :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

To TravelWitch,

Thank you for the sent out links. I have chosen to use the Japanese language which I have studied for years informally as a means to write down my own Book of Shadows in one of my notebooks. This way even if people see it they’re unable to read it unless the person also has knowledge of the same language which I doubt it can be understood grammatically there since it folllows the English grammar system.

I’ve always been fascinated with cooking so the link you gave is useful should I ever make a potion under the disguise of tea. Thank you and Merry meet,
-Margaret

3 Likes

Hi Margaret!

You can still celebrate Samhain in secret. Set up an altar with apples, nuts and berries. If you have candles, light some white and black candles.

Have some candy! :candy: If anyone asks, you’re celebrating Halloween at home.

Meditate in front of your altar and write on your journal. :notebook:

This is the Witches’ New Year so think of how much you’ve grown this year, and set intentions for the coming cycle.

Read here too: How to Celebrate Samhain: Rituals & Ideas! 💀

4 Likes

Hello Francisco,

Thank you for the advice you’ve given. My only problem is I really don’t have much personal space however I’m thinking of fixing the last layer of my closet to set it up there. I’ll see what I can find in exchange for berries and apples.

Merry meet, merey greet and merry part,
-Margaret

4 Likes

You are very welcome, Margaret! :blush: Ohhh that’s amazing that you studied Japanese- it is a beautiful language! I lived in Japan for a time and picked up a bit, but I always struggled with writing the characters :sweat_smile: I think this is a lovely choice to write your Book of Shadows in Japanese- it will be kept nice and safe! :open_book:

Hooray for another tea lover! If you haven’t seen this week’s post yet, I would like to warmly invite you to join the Group Ritual: Tea and Talk :coffee:

Blessed be!

2 Likes

I do have ancestors who were Japanese in blood, some Chinese, Spanish and Filipino bloodline. Maybe having the blood made it easier for me to pick it up while Spanish though is a language I have difficulty learning probably because I would rather not learn nor remember how it is used due to the negative associations inflicted at me in the Spanish language. Chinese though I haven’t tried it out since it also uses Kanji yet pronounced differently in Japanese and may have different meanings.

I was fortunate the Japanese language provided the safe haven to somehow still keep me sane even at the time I was in the darkest corner of life with no one to turn to. The way I used to learn it was know how to write and read Hiragana and Katakana first then learn their words which is written in Kanji, you can deal with the grammar later.

There’s an app in google playstore called Obenkyo, most of the Kanji I have written in the notebook I studied and learned how to write from the app. It is for all levels and may give tests according to one’s customization and test. Thank you for the invitation I will see if I can set up time for tomorrow since I have online school to attend to during this quarantine.

-Margaret

3 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Hello from Ohio!

You have a very rich heritage, @anne2- that is amazing! :blush: It sounds like you put a lot of love and hard work into learning the language, especially those tricky kanji characters!

I always used the app Duolingo for language learning and I hadn’t heard of Obenkyo- it sounds like something I need to check out! It’s been a few years since I studied Japanese as I’m currently learning Polish. The writing system is much easier (thank goodness!) but ohhh boy the pronunciation is quite the challenge for me! :sweat_smile: I often miss the simple but beautiful and flowing sounds of Japanese.

Wonderful, feel free to join if you have the time! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Wishing you the best of luck with your studies- may I ask what you are learning? :books:

Blessed be! :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you, @TheTravelWitch. My college course is Hotel and Restaurant Services, a 2 years course which has subjects like; Principles of Management, Study and Thinking Skills, Personality Development & Customer Relations, Information Technology Computer Applications, Physical Education 1 and a Filipino subject called Sining ng Pakikipagtalastan (Purposive Communication in English)

I’ve heard of Duolingo, the other language I intend on learning is Hebrew I want to see and read the actual Bible in its original form to confirm if the English translations are even correct. I’ve been born with a Mediator personality who are known to have a knack in learning foreign languages and really even in the worst of circumstances still attempt to see the good in people even if the person has done a horrible wrongdoing towards others or myself.

It is only unfortunate writing in Hebrew is something my left hand will never be able to do because of the physical trauma towards my lower left back dealt years ago which has never received medical treatment and has developed into Scoliosis in the present.

Goodluck in learning the Japanese numerical system though. I only know thr basic one in both Osakan and Tokyo dialect but the advanced version I have yet to learn since its proving to be challenging to read their numbers in Kanji when in a high value.

-Margaret

2 Likes

Your passion for learning is amazing, @anne2! :clap: Wow, you have so many diverse interests and talents, especially when it comes to languages! So sorry to hear about your left hand. Even if you can’t write, I think studying and learning to read and speak the language will still have many benefits and bring you joy.

Are you hoping to someday have a career in Hotel and Restaurant service? I took some classes in the tourism sector and found them really interesting- it can be a tough sector to work in (especially now, unfortunately) but certainly has wonderful aspects and benefits as well :blush:

Wishing you the best of luck with all of your classwork and language studying! :books: Blessed be!

2 Likes

Good morning / afternoon / evening to you @TheTravelWitch,

Nope, it’s not really Hotel and Restaurant services I am truly after in a career the actual one I would pick is that of a CareGiver. I want to ensure that at the very least no other child will ever have to go through the same amount of abuse I went through in my adolescent years. I actually nearly attempted suicide once because of it but a close friend from one of my old schools managed to stop my attempt in time so I owe that person a huge debt for it if he hadn’t acted in time my life in the mortal would have ended there.

Because there is a role in CareGiving that includes the handling of food and taking care of either the elderly or those severely mistreated I took up Hotel and Restaurant Services with the intent to use what I know firsthand in the treatment of different forms of trauma inflicted on a person. Other than that learning different sort of languages was something I’ve been drawn to even after the pain I’ve gone through for years. I guess he had death coming for him anyway as some sort of karmic retribution. I don’t recall how many times I asked or pleaded that very person to stop beating my own back all I knew was that it was very painful at that time and later on in the next several years I would find out just how much internal skeletal damage was inflicted at my own back.

I now know why I chose to come back to a house wherein several people would choose to harm me for their entertainment, for the sake of my youngest sibling at that time when he was just 7 - 9 years old it was all to safeguard him even if the cost is the physical and mental scars those people would leave at me for life. I understand that I was terrified about my own mortality because chances were I wouldn’t have even survive before I even reached my pre teens years, I couldn’t even tell my parents the entire situation due to threats thrown my way and words that keep stating they’ll never believe me just from the eyes of those very abusers. It may have been the power of a divine intervention that saved my life at that time or it could have just been my ex fiance’s righteous anger for witnessing everything they’ve done to me because once the first abuser died the other two ended up leaving me alone but not before they ensured I was in shatterred pieces that even now takes loads of time to mend.

I don’t know if it will ever be fixed at all. The only thing I’m sure of is that I would love to spend my future with my current lover at Africa itself and I was probably born to be a spiritual healer due to my past experiences while also learning different languages or potential medical treatments like Acupressure and Reiki at the same time. Its a path my mother doesn’t want me to take but it seems that appears to be my own calling in life regardless of whether she’ll like it or not.

I was placed under Bachelor of Science in Tourism Management but I couldn’t handle it for the next three years to come since the problem in my back is already noticeable and attracts peoples attention which is the last thing I’d ever want in the present. Half of my former classmates there meant well and attempted to end my fears in the Tourism sector but so far it hasn’t worked yet so it’ll probably take more time for me to heal the pain and scar out of my system. One of the Major subject professors probably thought I was arrogant or too confident since he saw I was actually studying the Japanese language on my own without any instructor teaching me at all which was a subject for 3rd years and above only in written form that involves Kanji in it.

Merry meet, merry greet & merry part,
-Margaret

2 Likes