Adders Tongue (Erythronium Americanum)

Here are my finding’s today, Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs!
Today I wanted to talk about Adders Tounge (Erythronium Americanum)

Folk Name Americans Adders Tounge,
Serpent tongue, Adders Mouth
**Gender-**Feminine
Element- Moon
Element Water
Powers Healing
Soak some adders tongue in cold water and apply it to a wound or bruise
Wrap it in a piece of cloth) Until the herb grows warm. Next, bury the wet herb in a muddy place. The wound will be cured .
Adders Tongue (Lilly family)
Adders Tounge utube video (Explains everything)
Girl Eat’s Erythronium Americanum
I would love to use Adders Tongue in a spell especially because it is famine and if your working on healing yourself this is the Lilly for you!
I hope this was useful for your magical working’s
Blessed Be!
Jeannie

8 Likes

A beautiful flower with a very intimidating name! :snake: :laughing: It looks like, due to the close spelling, it can be confused with the Addler’s Tongue fern (article comparing the two here).

The article had a bit more info about the lily, so I’ll share it here for everyone else learning:

Medicinal Uses of Adder’s Tongue

• Native American women ate raw leaves to prevent conception
  • Root tea to reduce fever
  • Poultice from the crom is used to draw splinters and reduce swelling
  • Leave poultice is used on hard to heal ulcers and skin conditions
  • Fresh or dried leaves soften skin – always test for allergic reaction on a small area of your skin
  • From the early to mid Nineteenth century the plant was used to treat gout

Edible Uses

• The flower, leaves, and bulb are edible.
  • Mass quantities will cause you to throw up – take it easy on them, unless you need to vomit.
  • Crom/bulb can be roasted – raw they have a cucumber taste.
  • Flowers are slightly sweet due to their nectar.
  • Leaf tea
  • Ground croms can be used as a thickening agent for cooking.

[From Garden Grimoire]

It looks like the Adder’s Tongue lily can be eaten under some circumstances- but it is an emetic, so if you eat too much it’ll come right back up :nauseated_face:- best to use with caution!

Thanks so much for sharing about this plant, @Jeannie1! It was fun to learn about :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

There’s so many great uses for this beautiful flower!!! I’m gonna have to grow some :sweat_smile: thanks so much @Jeannie1

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Jeannie1 I really appreciate this information.

4 Likes

Your very welcome
Travel Witch & Christina and Nick Wick!!!
Blessed be!:sparkles:

4 Likes

Thank you! I am going to have to check the lilies that I have in my front yard. I know we have Tiger Lily’s on the side of my house. The yellow & orange & maroonish ones, I don’t know what they are called. So it’s time to figure it out. The yellow ones kind of look like this plant! I can’t wait to figure out what they are. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Siofra,
That’s awesome Siofra!
Ur welcome, I have the plant identifier you can use seek by nationalist on play store.
Jeannie

3 Likes