Are you a blower or a snuffer?

Hi all, just wondering do you guys blow out your candles or snuff them with a candle snuffer? Also what do you think is better and why (is it more preferred, respectable etc…)
Also just to clear i am a snuffer… I was a blower but its something about it i feel bad about so i brought a snuffer…

10 Likes

I’m a snuffer. I read Scott Cunningham’s books early on and it was there I think I read it was disrespectful of fire to put it out with air. It may or may not be true but I got into snuffing thereafter.

11 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s disrespectful to blow out your candles, but I prefer to snuff them because it doesn’t leave a bunch of smoke.

10 Likes

Snuffer if my candle ritual is for days and blower if it’s I want it to happen quickly and my candle is no longer burned.

9 Likes

I’ve always blown out my candles and never felt anything bad by it.

9 Likes

I guess blower, I have pinched them with wet finger tips too. Usually, the candles :candle: I use burn out on their own.

9 Likes

Ohhh great question, @TheMuslimWitch- it’s really interesting to hear what everyone does and their thoughts behind their methods! :blush:

When I want to (or have to) put a candle out before it’s finished, I usually blow it out. I’ve heard the theory behind snuffing it out instead, but to me both methods feel the same- the purpose is putting out the candle.

I guess if I look a bit deeper, maybe it feels a bit more personal to me to use my own air, the same air I used to speak the spellwork, to extinguish the flame :fire:

But that being said, I can see both schools of thought and if I had a snuffer on hand, I very well might use it (but there’s certainly no extra room in the luggage for a snuffer! :laughing:)

Sorry, I don’t have a big preference one way or the other on this one :woman_shrugging: But it’s very helpful to see everyone else’s stances here- thanks for a great discussion, Khadija! :clap:

9 Likes

All good :blush: I too heard the snuffing side and also felt personally although i feel off blowing the candle out, as you said it can feel personal as to ‘lock’ or ‘affirm’ the intention you put out has been complete (i don’t know if you feel the same way). All in all, i love seeing the mini smoke ball which comes out when i life the snuffer… :blush:

8 Likes

I am a snuffer. I started because I read you had to snuff so a spell was still active, and blowing out a candle ended the spell. I know this isn’t true now. However, I still snuff out candles because I like to.

8 Likes

I have always been a blower, but then read Scott Cunningham say that they should be snuffed so I bought a snuffer. However when I snuffed the candles I felt odd about it like I was trapping something there so I have gone back to blowing out the candles, I dont know if its just the habit of it feeling better or what but its funny how we can all feel differently about this.

8 Likes

Usually for spell work, I let the candle burn entirely, so I have not had to put out candles too often to really say. For one spell, it required the candle to be relit every so often, that I blow out. I’ve heard to not do that, but snuff instead. I don’t mind blowing them, the extra smoke from it, find it to be a nice finish. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I blow candles out in 3 circumstances:
1- a spell says to
2- i have to extinguish it quick (my husband is still not fully accepting my witch path)
3- I forget and blow it out lol…
However, i did something dumb out of curiosity which was dip my snuffer into a big candle with heaps of wax just to see how satisfying it would be… Was cool but now i have wax all over the snuffer lol :blush: :laughing: :woman_facepalming:

6 Likes

I love the smell when its blown out as the snuffer tend to reduce that, in saying that however, i like the mini smoke ball when i lift the snuffer too. Oh yes in the event a spell says to leave the candle to burn out of course i let it :blush:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.