Beltane 2022 🫄 Coven Celebrations

Image Source

It’s almost Beltane!

As we all know, the Wheel of the Year never stops turning. It seems like only yesterday we were celebrating Imbolg together as a coven! But here we are approaching May, the fifth month of the year. Summer is coming, days are getting hotter, and the sun seems to shine brighter every day. For those in the Southern Hemisphere, you will be celebrating Samhain! Don’t worry, I have links below for you, too!

What is Beltane?

Beltane (BELL-tane) is right around the corner! Also called May Day, this sabbat takes place on May 1st every year. In modern practices, this celebration heralds in the start of Summer, warmer days, and mating season. It is heavily associated with fertility (of all kinds, mind you), abundance, protection, and fire.

Just like the other three fire festivals, Beltane is heavily steeped in Celtic lore and myth. Originally, this day is called Bealtaine (roughly pronounced bee-EL-tuh-nuh depending on the dialect) a word still in use today and meaning ‘the month of May’ in Gailge (Irish). Beltane is the anglicized version of Bealtaine.

There are many different traditions and practices that come straight from Ireland. Here are just a few of them!

:droplet: Washing your face in the morning dew will keep you looking young.
:yellow_heart: Place yellow flowers on all the doorways into your home for protection.
:fire: Light a bonfire and jump over it (or walk around it) for cleansing and protection.

There are even entries on Duchas, a collection of Irish folklore, about Bealtaine and it’s folk practices and beliefs.

Bealtaine – May Eve is a sidheógai [of the fairies] evening in the country. Green branches are placed over the doors of homes and stables, supposed to keep out the fairies from doing harm to the stock. The cabins and dairies are all locked this night to prevent fairies from taking away the milk and butter. (County Clare)

The Schools Collection – Lahinch | The Schools’ Collection | dúchas.ie

Many old beliefs and customs were attached to May Eve and the month of May itself. For instance may-flowers were scattered around the house to keep away the fairies. Another old belief was that if a person washed his face in the May Eve dew he would not get sunburned during the Summer or he would not get wrinkles. Persons leaving presents of fresh milk and honey for the fairies would have a plentiful supply of butter and milk through-out the whole year. If a person was hit on the head with a bow-tree stick on May Eve he would not grow any more. Long ago the cow’s udder was washed with May-flower (?) on May Eve so that she would give plenty milk during the year. A person going through briars three times on May-Eve and saying “all the butter come to me” would have the power to steal butter. If a person went out on May morning and skimmed the water off the well he would be boss of the village for that year. Another old custom was to tie cowslips to the cow’s udder in order that the butter would not be stolen.

There is a rhyme about the month of May as follows:-
“A wet and windy May
Chills the haggard with corn and hay”

On May Eve people gathered different varieties of flowers and herbs which they mashed up. This mashed substance was called “Bealtanach”. It was rubbed on the cow’s udder and tits on May day. It was then believed that the cow would give a much better supply of milk and butter. (County Mayo)

The Schools Collection – Páirc Íseal (B.) | The Schools’ Collection | dúchas.ie

Common Neo-Pagan Correspondences

Colors: Red, Yellow, Orange, and Green
Food and Drink: Dairy, Oatmeal, Wine, Spicy Food, Sweet Breads, Apples, Honey, and Ice Cream
Crystals: Rose quartz, Emerald, Pink Tourmaline, Clear Quartz, Jade, and Pearl
Herbs and Flowers: Willow, Roses, Jasmine, Mint, Vanilla, Chrysanthemum, Grains, Daisies, and Sandalwood

Need celebration ideas?

→ We have a Beltane Celebration CastAlong video ritual if you need a bit of help!

→ Check out @francisco 's Beltane altar from 2020 complete with Spells8 printables.

→ Celebrating alone? We have you covered with some information, practices, and activities.

→ Check out the Beltane Fire Society! Every year, they put together a glorious performance open to the public.

→ Create a magical cocktail thanks to @SilverBearThe Beltane Bee’s Knees!

Southern Hemisphere Friends!

And for our friends in the Southern Hemisphere, you might be celebrating Samhain (roughly pronounced SOW-in)! Check out some of these links here if you need ideas to celebrate.

→ Get some ideas from a past challenge! Samhain Weekly Witchy Challenge!

→ Find some Samhain ritual ideas on Spells8!

→ Celebrating alone? We’ve got you covered with a Solitary Samhain Cast Along video ritual!

Set some goals on the Witch’s New Year this Samhain!

→ Check out this Samhain music playlist if you need some audio inspiration!

More links and sources!

Of course, these are all from Lora O’Brien’s website. They’re one of my most trusted sources on authentic Irish folklore, mythology, and cultural information.

Beltane - Bealtaine Traditions in Irish Folklore - Lora O'Brien - Irish Author & Guide
Irish Bealtaine Traditions - Lora O'Brien - Irish Author & Guide
Bealtaine (Beltane) Resources for Irish Celtic Pagans - Lora O'Brien - Irish Author & Guide
Bealtaine - May Eve Magic in Ireland - Lora O'Brien - Irish Author & Guide

:sunflower: :sun: :sunflower:

However you plan to celebrate, I hope you have an amazing holiday season! Keep in mind that traditionally, these celebrations may have gone on longer than just a day. Give yourself grace and time to prepare. In my practice, many of these holidays, especially as an Irish-focused Celtic Pagan, revolve around community service, family protection, and food. So bake the breads and cakes, feed your neighbors, and have a good time!

Note: Please use this post to share your Beltane/Samhain plans, questions, etc.

16 Likes

I really love these celebration suggestions- and we’ve got daffodils out in the yard now, so that’s perfect for decorating! :blossom::blush:

Thanks so much for putting this great holiday guide together, Megan- it’s really helpful! :heart:

Wishing everyone a very blessed Sabbat! I hope everyone here in the northern part of the world has a lovely Beltane :fire:, while those down south have a wonderful Samahin :jack_o_lantern:

Blessed celebrations! :sparkles:

15 Likes

Yes, Beltane is approaching. Sometimes these events sneak up on me. So as a reminder to anyone who needs it, get ready!

Are you planning a bonfire? Last year it rained it’s behind off and I didn’t get to do it. Is your firepit ready? Do you have the candles or whatever you need? It is not too early to prepare.

Especially for me, as it will be officially my first full year of practice. :grin:

20 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! I’ll be putting together that usual coven celebration post probably tomorrow :laughing: I’m not sure what I’m planning this year!

17 Likes

I’ve got all I need I think, to do the celebration from the website. I don’t have access to a bonfire, sad to say. And if I tried to jump a candle, I’d end up breaking something, probably my neck! LOL!

17 Likes

Yes to all of the above @Undomeher. I have my fire pit, wood, my white tealights for my Pentalcle candle chandelier. I’m not sure what else

@MeganB I feel like Beltane is sneaking upon us. I’m still adjusting to it being April. & that we are about halfway through the month! :hugs:

16 Likes

I need to get myself sorted for this so I appreciate the reminder @Undomeher :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

16 Likes

Thanks for the reminder, @Undomeher! :blush: There’s something about Beltane and Litha this year that I feel that I really need. It’s a bit strange, as usually I only feel this excited and ready for Yule. It kind of feels like it’s time to “burn away” some things that have built up over the last few years. So mote it be haha :pray::fire:

But as for what to do… still haven’t planned it out :joy: Just over two weeks to go- lots of time to plan! I’m excited to hear about what everyone else is cooking up for the upcoming Sabbats :grinning:

Woohooo!!! Congrats on your first full year of practice, Ron! :partying_face:

15 Likes

Congratulations @Undomeher on your first year!! :tada: May Day is also the birthday of Spells8 :smiley: :infinite_roots: :infinite_roots:

I’m excited for this Beltane since it will be my first 1st of May in Argentina since I’ve moved to the US (I’m leaving next week!). It’s a big holiday down there (intl workers’ day) so I will likely spend it with family and lots of food!

17 Likes

Congratulations on 1 year @Undomeher, I’m not sure how I missed that the first time or why it took so long :thinking:

@Francisco I hope you have a great time with the celebration & time with family & friends in Argentina! Enjoy all the food too! Have a great trip & safe travels.

14 Likes

@Francisco thank you and safe travels my brother!

@Siofra_Strega thanks! It’s been a year of massive change and learning for me, and I’m not turning back.

13 Likes

Perfect, may you continue to learn & grow through another year! :sparkles:

13 Likes

So Beltane is coming in two weeks. This will coincide with the New Moon and the end of April - making this a great opportunity to connect with Hekate for those that work with her.

I will definitely celebrate, with a bonfire if weather allows. I have much to be thankful for.

What plans do others have for this holiday?

11 Likes

I hope you don’t mind that I rehomed your post into the Beltane masterthread, Ron! :pray:

Thanks for the note about Hekate- that’s a really good point that the circumstances align so well for working with Her :old_key:

And YES- that’s a great point about the New Moon! Especially since it is a Black Moon :black_circle: , as it is it the second new moon in a month :new_moon_with_face: :new_moon_with_face:

The days are counting down and I’m still not sure what I’ll be doing- something small and fire related, but I don’t have an intention for spellwork in mind just yet. Looking forward to hearing what plans everyone has in store! :fire::blush:

9 Likes

Of course I don’t mind. I’m sorry that I didn’t remember that there was a thread! I got so excited about the Moon and Beltane together that I kind of forgot I had already posted. :confused:

9 Likes

Oh goodness! Well, I will be having a fire that’s for sure! I’m just not sure of anything else because there is also the Dark/Black Moon :new_moon: which is also aligned with the Morrigan :triquetra:, but as far as how I was working with her regularly, now that I have made it back to the light side, she has taken a step back. But! What better way to show gratitude & to do something during a Dark/Black Moon to say thank you & I look forward to working with Her :triskele: again should the time arise. :hugs:

I have been doing a lot of work with my plantings :herb: & yard to get ready for the season change here. It is starting to warm up :sun_behind_small_cloud: but we still go back every now & again to the 20s or 30s overnight. The 40s in the morning & then almost 70 until 3 or 4 PM & a drop back down to the 30s or 40s. New England weather is fun this time of year. :laughing:

11 Likes

This is going to be my first time celebrating a wheel of the year holiday. I am excited and looking forward to it, as well as learning what I can about. I am so grateful to everyone here and all of the info and help everyone is willing to give.

12 Likes

Thans to a Google search for the date and such I believe I might have found my local witches LOL so happy bit of fortune there

12 Likes

No worries at all, @Undomeher! Goodness knows there are a lot of discussions in the forum- it is tough to keep track of them all haha. And who could blame you for getting excited about a black moon Beltane combo? Thrilling celestial happenings and pagan holidays are a witch’s dream come true :grin: :+1: :heart:

Hope your plantings are going well, @Siofra_Strega! :seedling: :star_struck: I know the weather there can be… difficult for spring gardening haha :sweat_smile:

Congrats on your first Sabbat celebration, @JollyStar! :partying_face: Wishing you a very blessed and happy holiday!

That’s amazing, @jim! :clap: Congrats on finding local witches- are they planning something big for the Sabbat? :sparkles:

12 Likes

@JollyStar, that is awesome! I remember it was so much fun for me even though it poured down rain and I had to celebrate indoors. I hope yours is memorable!

10 Likes