Best method for a Book of Shadows

That was my problem. The new ones I’m using a 3 hole punch instead of the sleeves.

10 Likes

I find it quite helpful when you need to shuffle things around, or taking out things that you don’t practice anymore.

8 Likes

I like the sheets in the event I need to shuffle things I’m not having to reprint things out multiple times.

8 Likes

Yes they are very handy to have.

8 Likes

I just saw that book about a w eek ago! I loved it but was there with my daughter to get her books so I’m going back next payday and getting it. It’s a beautiful book

10 Likes

I started with a composition booklets, you know, the black and white ones. They were cheap and I was poor.
I started out my 1st BOS with a theme. It was Egypt. I thought I had to do an Egyptian history and who’s who of the Egyptian Pantheon. Lots of work and as I go over it 20 years + later[about 1998] it was impressive. I found spells on the net that I liked and transcribed them into my book. tried to give credit to the original author. Found Page separators with various Egyptian themes. Oh, my. I had recipes for illness and beauty, perfumes, essential oils. Rich got pissed as devout Baptists can. So, I put it away.

About 2000, I put together the 2nd of several BOS the theme? Dragons, that proved to be again, a lot of research and another book filled. Probably a lot of repeats, but I enjoyed it. I also did a book on elements, wolves, etc.
Hey, I’m old and retired, I had the time.
Until I joined Spells8 I stayed on the periphery of magick. Then I found a huge book series “Enhancing your Mind, Body & Spirit”
https://www.deagostini.com/uk/collections/mind-body-spirit/
For some reason they were unable to generate a preview for this web page, But it is an active site.
It isn’t cheap, but it is educational and someday I’ll finish it.
That’s how I started Bryce and it still seems to be on goin.
baby dragon
Garne
PS. some pages have been uploaded onto Pinterest by some buyers.

10 Likes

@bryce I am a type a personality and perfectionist as well. Currently I have 4 three ringed binders (B.o.S/grimoire which holds all research, notes, useful tips and wisdom I’ve gained from other respected witches and general spells and recipes, a green witch B.o.S containing page after page of herbs and ingredients and cooresponding information along with any tips and wisdom shared with me, a dossier on deities of all backgrounds and a kitchen/cottage witch B.o.S for all of my kitchen and house related spells, recipes and information) and all my pages are in plastic page protectors. The paper I use is all of different types depending on what was available. My main B.o.S has dividers in it separating spells, recipes, notes/info, rituals, Sabbats/Esbats and also a table of contents along with some pictures that I colored that were relevant to the contents inside my books. At some point I intend to add pressed specimens of ingredients to my green book and eventually transfer the contents into a fancy book but I’m learning that our books will continuously grow as we learn So oftentimes a witch will have multiple books and this is why I chose to use binders because I can easily rearrange and add pages to it. The most important thing to keep in mind is that just like your altar, practice and tools each of us has our own unique method and system and just like your practice your book(s)/ tools should be a reflection of your own personal taste/system/beliefs. Make your book your own. I’m going to attach some pictures of some of the stuff I have done with mine without giving too much away so you can get kinda an idea of possibilities for inspiration and you could also find tips to use On this website

This is a rough draft of one of the pages for my green book

The cover of my main book

Cover page in my main book

Images representing the maiden, mother, crone and horned god (coincidentally I had ordered a coloring book WAY before I started practicing and it actually had the artists take on the maiden mother and crone as pages to color and I had already colored them and since I keep every page I color I decided to include them)

The front cover of my green book

18 Likes

I’d also like to add that when I first started I carried a small sketch book and used it as my B.o.S until it was stolen by my mother in law who also practices and loathes me. I also have several mini composition books for things such as sigils, tarot spreads, a tarot journal for my readings one for my personal readings and one for the readings I do for clients, astrology info and a journal for my pendulum readings, a journal book for my meditation and also one for experiences with spells I cast so I can look back on the notes I took and change things the next time if needed

12 Likes

I actually have 6 binders broken down into 1 - 3 parts of my practice & what I’m learning or have done. I have one for Tarot & my readings/interpretations, tarot journal. Then I have 1 with herbs & plants & things like incense & essential oils. I have 1 for Potions & Rituals/Spells, 1 for crystals, 1for Astrology, Planets, the Moon, Sabbats. Esbats, daily things or meditations, book lists, altar things like setups, anointing candles, tools, consecration. Each binder has a different cover & dividers. I use parchment paper to print most things & I print on both sides. I have found other information on Etsy & Pinterest that I have been able add. I regularly go through them & whatever I have never used or needs to be updated or put away I take out. I rearrange their setups too.

Then I use a leather bound journal for my Book of Mirrors

11 Likes

@bryce I keep track of shadow work in my journal, and things like plant information, incense information, crystal info, all go in my BOS. You never know when you might need that information. Write everything you do down so you don’t forget what you were doing, I’m bad at not doing that. I need to get better with that. LOL.

As for a Book of Mirrors, I haven’t felt called to do one of those yet, but I know @Susurrus has, maybe she can tell you more about what goes in that. Plus there’s a course on-site for it if you feel called to make one.

Hope that helps you out!

8 Likes

I have a tendency to be scatter-brained so I have several little notebooks/journals. I’ve started using my pink 6 ring binder for my BoS, the book with the Bible verse (that was my Catholic turned Southern Baptist mom’s) I began this last week as an emotion journal, the spiral book is random things I’ve learned and the two little books I was using when I first started and have transcribed what I wrote in them to my pink book. Eventually I will get my thoughts all in one place but my ADD/Fibro brain hasn’t accepted that concept yet :sweat_smile:
:revolving_hearts:

9 Likes

@Peaches i get you there lol. But I will say being organized goes a long way in making your day smoother and taking some of the stress off your brain. Makes it one less thing to worry about lol. It also helps the fibro funk that makes everything foggy.

8 Likes

So yeah, that fibro brain thing, totally forgot to upload the picture in my post :woman_facepalming:

15 Likes

Lol I love it all

10 Likes

Well since all the cool kids are posting pics…

Volume 1

16 Likes

Updated BoS :heart_eyes:

14 Likes

You were cool to begin with :grin:

10 Likes

You just made me smile! Thank you!

9 Likes

You’re welcome! :blush:

9 Likes

@anon87969570 love your book. Looks great

10 Likes