Blue Cheese for a Blue Moon

I do not know if you noticed it yet. (Shh, I will not tell where), but, I decided to make an ancestor altar with my immediate family who has passed. It recommended using blue themed food for the wine and cakes portion of the Samhain ritual. I bought some Blue Cheese and Crackers to share with my ancestors. They all would have loved this. Ancestor Pictures: Ancestor Pictures: My mom’s and adopted dad’s marker, my maternal grandmother and grandfather, my uncle, and my husband.

8 Likes

That’s interesting! :blue_heart: I haven’t heard or read anywhere the recommendation of using blue themed food for a Samhain ritual :candle:

As long as your ancestors would enjoy it, then that’s what matters! Sounds like you did just right.

7 Likes

Heh. I’m having Garlic Bread Pizza for dinner on Samhain, my Dad always enjoyed that. And pumpkin pie! Mom loved that. I this it just depends on what your family would have liked. But blue themed foods sounds like fun! You could have blueberry oatmeal for breakfast!

7 Likes

Sabbats Almanac. 2020-2021 Edition.

5 Likes

Oh cool, thanks for sharing! I don’t have that one, but I’ll give it a look :heart:

5 Likes

This is such a heartwarming idea, @wendy4- and the element of blue themed food goes perfectly with the upcoming blue moon too! :large_blue_circle: I have to admit I’m not a big fan of blue cheese (:face_with_hand_over_mouth::cheese:) but I bet I can find other foods to share with my ancestors for a Samhain ritual!

Blueberries might be out of season here now, but maybe blue ice cream or jello would work :blue_heart: In Thailand I tried a tea called Butterfly Sweet Pea that is all natural and shockingly blue- maybe I can order some online :butterfly:

h618-butterfly-pea-flower-tea-1
[Picture from English Tea Store]

6 Likes

I need to find the tea… it just looks too interesting to pass up. I found some blueberries in the store two weeks ago so maybe they are still available. I will have to check tomorrow.

4 Likes

BUTTERFLY PEA FLOWER TEA

• Butterfly pea flower tea is an herbal drink made from dried butterfly pea flowers steeped in water.
  • It’s caffeine-free.
  • Comes from a plant called c litoria ternatea that’s native to Southeast Asia.
  • The flowers are deep blue in color with a tinge of purple that colors and flavors the water.
  • The color goes from blue to purple when the pH level changes. Adding something acidic like lemon juice changes the color. It’s like magic!
  • Contain antioxidants which helps to protect your body from cell damage.

BUTTERFLY PEA FLOWER TEA BREWING GUIDE

TO MAKE HOT BUTTERFLY PEA FLOWER TEA
TEA:
1.5 teaspoons loose butterfly pea flowers or 1 tea bag
WATER: 1 cup (8 fl. oz.)
WATER TEMPERATURE: 208°F
STEEP TIME: 5 minutes

TO MAKE COLD BREW BUTTERFLY PEA FLOWER TEA
TEA:
1.5 teaspoons loose butterfly pea flowers or 1 tea bag
WATER: 1 cup (8 fl. oz.)
WATER TEMPERATURE: Cold water
STEEP TIME: 12 hours

5 Likes

Thank you @BryWisteria and @berta for the blue… Butterfly Pea Flower Tea suggestion. I’m intrigued because it’s blue and that is my favorite color. With everything that is going on with me, I think it would be a good idea to incorporate that into the new path I’m foraging.

Now I just have to find the Butterfly Pea Flower!

6 Likes

This is super helpful, @berta- thank you for all this info on Butterfly Pea Flower Tea! :butterfly: :two_hearts:

To @Susurrus and everyone giving it a try- enjoy and have fun! I would recommend adding lemon juice like Berta mentions above- as the butterfly pea flower doesn’t have much flavor on it’s own. A little lemon and honey will make for a beautiful and delicious tea! :tea:

4 Likes

I just copied the recipe into my BOS file to be printed when my printer is working again. Thank you for the lemon & honey idea! I like to put honey in my tea & I like lemon in iced tea, so this will be a good item to try out. Thank you both again!

2 Likes

I checked all local and ended up getting it on Amazon. It has an exotic smell. Trying to figure it out… When I do I will let you know.

5 Likes

:flushed: :flushed: :flushed:
I have this!!! I just thought it was for magic gin :joy:
ahaha possibly easier to find if you search for colour changing gin kits :joy:

5 Likes