2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups light-brown sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)

Directions:

Step 1

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread pecans on a rimmed baking sheet; toast until fragrant, 6 to 7 minutes. Let cool, then chop.

Step 2

Brush a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with butter, then dust with flour, tapping out excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together butter and 2 cups of brown sugar until combined. Add eggs; whisk until combined. Add vanilla and rum. Fold in flour mixture with a spatula until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in half of the nuts.

Step 3

Transfer batter to prepared dish; smooth top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle top with remaining nuts and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Bake until golden around the edges and a tester inserted in the center comes out with very few crumbs, 22 to 24 minutes.

Step 4

Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before cutting into squares. Blondies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

Variations:

If you’d rather not use rum, increase the amount of vanilla to 4 teaspoons.

Recipe courtesy of Martha Stewart.

7 Likes

Oh, I haven’t a blondie in forever! :astonished: I think it’s high time to fix that- these things are delicious! :yum:

My partner and I are both pretty picky when it comes to nuts in desserts- I just might have to substitute this for chocolate chips instead :chocolate_bar: :laughing:

Thank you for the fun recipe, @Amethyst! :heart:

3 Likes

That would be good! It’s pecan season over here so I thought I’d post this. LOL!

3 Likes

Then these are perfect for the pecan season! :grinning: :sparkles: (I didn’t even know there was a pecan season lol! We get them dried and ready- I figured it was always nut season :laughing: Silly Bry)

Thanks again for an awesome seasonal recipe, Amethyst! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Yeah, in the fall the nuts are ripe. My daddy had a friend from Georgia and he’d send us a ten pound box of pecans for Christmas. We in turn always sent him a nutcracker.

Those were the days. They were great fresh and we would have all sorts of pecan treats for a month!

4 Likes

Nuts for a nutcracker- that sounds like a fun exchange! :blush: And gosh, I can imagine the pecan treats- I bet after a few weeks it became a game of creativity finding more fun ways to use them all! :laughing: :+1:

It sounds like you have some very happy memories of the season, Amethyst :heart::grinning:

2 Likes

I really do! :hugs:

2 Likes