Calling the Quarters

Hi everyone, I’ve just been watching the video about the five elements in which it discusses ‘Calling the Quarters’. Can someone tell me when this ritual would normally be carried out? Is it done before undertaking any type of spell or ritual, or is it necessary only for those things that might be considered more involved…?

Thanks for any help :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Calling the quarters is a practice that originated in the Golden Dawn system of Magic. Now a standard practice for Wiccans and other Pagans too.

Also known as the watchtowers or guardians, they are tutelary spirits of each of the four cardinal points or “quarters” (north, east, south, and west).

It’s common to do it at the start of a ritual, after casting the circle, as a way of setting up the sacred or protected space.

As you call each element, face each direction.

1. The elements are usually called starting in the East, place of Air and new beginnings.
  2. You then turn deosil (clockwise) to the South to call Fire
  3. Turn to the West to call Water
  4. And finally to the North to call Earth.

There are many ways to call the quarters, and you can get as dramatic or poetic as you wish.

The standard or traditional way of calling the quarters is this:

All hail the Watchtower of the East,
The element of Air
I do summon and call you forth,
To guard and protect this circle
Come and join me, now.

All hail the Watchtower of the South,
The element of Fire
Come and join me, now.

All hail the Watchtower of the West,
The element of Water
Come and join me, now.

All hail the Watchtower of the North,
The element of Earth
Come and join me, now.

At the end of your ritual, you go back and thank each spirit and release them from your circle, for example:

"I thank you for attending my rite; and here you depart to your fair and lovely realms, I bid thee Hail and Farewell."

8 Likes

Whenever I am doing a ritual, and casting a circle, I call the quarters to join me as well as the Goddess(es) and God(s) if you revere any, Its very nice for the elementals to be with you, and offer another layer of protection, and power, I also sometimes use the Archangels to be with me, When I do, I use the same invocation that @Francisco did above, but when I say the All Hail, I will say All Hail Gabriel, the protector of the watchtower of the East and then go through them all- Michael, Rafael, Uriel. I place my little figurines at each cardinal corresponding point as I go, When I close the circle I remove them in reverse order, thanking them for attending. Its all visualization and helps with concentration and power.
You can make your rituals as simple or as elaborate as you want, that is the beauty of witchcraft, it is YOURS. the only rule I have is to never ever demand they come, invite them, and always bid them a farewell in a loving manner.
These are my little figurines I use, they are small, about 3 1/2"

9 Likes

Thanks as always guys, your replies are very helpful…

4 Likes

@Abs53 heres some things on my rituals

5 Likes

Thanks Roxanne I like angels and wish to work with them!
Jeannie

6 Likes

They are beautiful!!

6 Likes