Catnip recipe for insect repellent

I was reading and saw catnip oil can be used to make insect repellent…I find this in itself to be magical.But I was wondering If any one has this recipe, or can direct me in the right place to find one.

11 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t know catnip could work as an insect repellant! :thinking: I did a bit of searching on the internet and found some of these recipes. Maybe these are what you’re looking for?

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/using-catnip-to-repel-mosquitoes-and-insects

9 Likes

@MeganB
I just have one question, does it attract cats? :rofl: I tried to grow catnip in my garden and it just wasn’t growing and I couldn’t figure out why then a few days later I saw my cat eating it. Thanks for the links, interesting…

@Sage64
I only see one downside to using Catnip oil as an insect repellent, it doesn’t last very long. I have tried using essential oils to keep the bugs from biting and it just doesn’t last. Even though I keep spraying it on, again and again, I was covered in bites. I didn’t try Catnip oil, so if you try it, let us know how it works.

With love :heart: always…

9 Likes

Ohh hmm…I’m not sure! It might? :joy: I don’t know if it will last long enough, to be honest.

8 Likes

Thank you . I also found the recipe under witch hazel in my course reading also. I’m going to try them all.

9 Likes

Ooooooo now yall got my wheels turning for another repellant. Thanks i always like to offer choices.

8 Likes

I will let you know for sure. Currently I’m using Lavender essential oil with a base oil mix. It works very well, especially on my face.

8 Likes

Essential Oils as Insect Repellentshttps://www.biosourcenaturals.com/pure-essential-

try this site
Garnet

6 Likes

I use an oil that has Lemon Eucalyptus EO in it in place of deet and it works fabulous. This shop has one nearly identical to the one I make:

I hope you find something non-toxic that works for you!!!

7 Likes

Greetings @Sage64!

I’m experimenting with an Herbal Insect Repellent recipe right now- I used mint as one of the herbs I used as I had seen it listed in several insect repellent recipes while I was gathering research. And as catnip is technically in the mint family, I think it would be fine to use in any recipe that calls for mint! :herb:

You’ve got some awesome recipes here from everyone- I hope you can find a great one to put your catnip oil to use! :blush:

Blessed be!

4 Likes

Hello everyone, thank you all for all the great ideas , recipes and links for bug repellent. I’m on my way out shopping for ingredients. Today is all about experimenting and creating.

4 Likes

Good afternoon, I’m done experimenting for the day, and thought I’d share this link to a catnip recipe for bug repellent that I’ve been testing while sitting in the yard. So far so good but it’s not like the bugs on trail. Also I mixed up the bug repellent recipe I found on this website.
2oz- witch hazel
2oz-distilled water or fractionated coconut oil
7-10 drops geranium oil
7-10 drops cedar wood oil
7-10 drops citronella oil

Blessed be

5 Likes

Wishing you all the best with the process! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It sounds like you found a good recipe and that it’s working so far- that is awesome! Be gone, bugs! :mosquito: :laughing:

4 Likes

I was just wondering about natural or homeopathic insect repellents as I traveled earlier this month. Going through some wilderness and encountering mosquitoes the size of a small Buick (kidding, but only a little! lol) I wondered how Native Americans battled the numerous insects that would have swarmed around them when they didn’t have a campfire burning.
One common agent is ground Marigolds - AKA permethrins. It’s good to see other alternatives as well. Thanks!

5 Likes

I don’t know about all cats but it would definitely attract my black cat Bender!! He’s a catnip addict. I might need to send him to CA - Catnip Anonymous. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But seriously, he knows were I keep it and if I just reach for that shelf he is at my side going crazy!

4 Likes