Celebrate with me!

I am so excited! Most of you know by now that I’m a teacher and I have officially made it to summer break. I’m a veteran teacher at my school and so I have the privilege of helping to plan on our leadership team. For the last two years I have been trying to convince my school that our kids need phonics. There’s a whole bunch of research and a whole huge fight going on right now about the correct way to teach reading but phonics is a huge part of it.
Many of my intentions the last several months (honestly since I learned how to set intentions) have been about increasing my leadership ability so that I can persuade others to act in the best interest of our kids.
Yesterday I laid out an entire plan for how we could include phonics into our school within our current budget, within our daily time constraints, and how we could provide the necessary training to all of our teachers. I had research and data to back up all my claims. It was well received by my peers and my administrators, however our district literacy coach told us all that it was a waste of time and would not make a difference and she did not recommend it. I was a little disheartened and very frustrated.
When I went back today I immediately brought phonics back up to our team and told them I was prepared to go down swinging for my proposal. It’s what our kids really need. My principal stopped me and said “There’s no need for you to go down swinging, The team trusts you. We’re going with everything that you have recommended. “
I cannot put into words the joy and the relief that I feel this evening. This is going to make such a difference for so many kids!
I guess now I need to start setting intentions to make sure it really works! :rofl::rofl: (I already know it will!). I am just so grateful!

16 Likes

This is great! I’m so proud of you! Teaching right now is such a difficult profession and your love for your students comes shining through. Good job!

10 Likes

You are amazing @AileyGrey- the amount of time, effort, and wholehearted care that you put into researching, building, and presenting the curriculum on phonics is such a beacon of hope. I only wish there were more teachers like you! Your school and your kids are truly blessed to have you as their teacher! :heart::blush:

A huge congrats to you! :partying_face:

9 Likes

@AileyGrey
Congrats sweetheart :kiss:
Am so proud of u, blessing on ur way💓

9 Likes

That is absolutely amazing! :partying_face: :sparkles: I’m so, so proud of you for sticking to your truth and doing what’s best for the children! Teaching is such a difficult and underappreciated profession. I commend you, from the bottom of my heart, for caring about the kids :sparkles: :heart:

9 Likes

Thanks everyone! Teaching is definitely my calling. I am just so thrilled!

9 Likes

First off, THANK YOU a million times for being a teacher. I feel like we as a nation do not give enough credit to the career and the hard-work that goes into it. I have several friends that are teachers I there is no way I could do what they do.

Now that I am stepping off my soap box…Congrats!!! It must feel wonderful to believe in yourself and “sticking to your guns”. This is something I am still working on so I’m going to look to you for inspiration.

I’m sure the phonics programs have become a long way from when I was taught using this method way back in the early 80s but a word of caution - I am a horrible speller thanks to learning phonically. Like I said, I’m sure the programs now are a million times better than back in my day (jeez that makes me feel old, lol) and I can tell from your enthusiasm that you are not like the teachers I had that just taught to the standardized tests. Please keep this passion for teaching! I know especially during COVID it was/is hard but we really need teachers who care about our future generations teaching them.

9 Likes

Thank you! Yes, pandemic teaching has been hellacious, but we are making it through. I appreciate the kind words. Teachers appreciate the love and support… we don’t get it much!

Yes, phonics (If done correctly) actually teaches the rules of spelling as you are learning to read words. It is very systematic and very detail oriented. Learning changes as we discover more about the brain, but reading instruction has pretty much stagnated (and it shouldn’t have… so much science to move it forward). I’m thrilled to be working on the cutting edge!

10 Likes

Congratulations :confetti_ball: :balloon: :tada: That’s awesome!!
I actually wirk at an animal shelter. I love to watch the vet when i can. I have to watch getting attached to the adorable and hurting and lonely animals. Its hard!

I have faith that you’ll do fine :slightly_smiling_face: keep practicing with intentions. Sounds like you’ve got a really great plan for it to work!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes

Congratulations!! on your success! I know the kids and school will be better because of your devotion. Way to go :100: :pentacle_tarot: :rose: :rose: :rose:
:butterfly:

7 Likes

Holy moly - what a win! It is great that your principal recognizes your contributions and values your ideas. Good luck, I am excited for you!

8 Likes

She’s pretty amazing! And thanks! I’m so excited. I am (trying to) take a few weeks off and then I want to start planning things out and creating some resources. Great things are ahead for us!

7 Likes

Congratulations! I am a huge believer in phonics. It is how I learned to read way, way back in the 60’s. I truly believe it helped me and I continue to be an avid reader today.

7 Likes

Thank you! I am a huge believer too! And there is a ton of science to back it up now too!

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.