Classic Rock and Roll Theme for Tarot

I was thinking about a Classic Rock and Roll Tarot Deck based on the RWS deck. For instance, the Chariot could be Steppenwolf’s Magic Carpet Ride, Blue Oyster Cult’s Don’t Fear the Reaper for Death. Any ideas? Should Elvis be a King or The Emperor?
What are your thoughts?

10 Likes

I really like this idea. I would purchase this deck if there was one. Elvis should probably be the Emperor. There are so many good songs that you could use too! I love the Joker and the Thief. I can’t remember who sings it, but it is on my playlist for the car. I will go look and find out for you.

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: What a fun idea!! My suggestions:

• The Lovers: John & Yoko
  • The Empress: Janis Joplin
  • The High Priestess: Stevie Nicks
  • The Devil: Frank Zappa
  • The Wheel of Fortune: Pink Floyd
  • The Hermit: George Harrison
  • Judgement: Art Garfunkel

104px-RWS_Tarot_20_Judgement download

8 Likes

Great idea!

7 Likes

Ooh! I’d love a rock an roll themed deck! :metal:t2:

7 Likes

Those are great ideas @Francisco!

5 Likes

The Tower, Jerry Lee Lewis, Goodness Gracious Great Balls of Fire.

6 Likes

This is such a fun idea, @john4! Hooray for Rock n’ Roll Tarot! :guitar: :love_you_gesture: :laughing: :flower_playing_cards:

4 Likes

Six of Wands, Queen, We are the Champions.

Six of cups; Sisters Sledge, we are Family.
Two of Cups; Bon Jovi, Livin on a Prayer.
Four of Wands; Kool and the Gang, Celebration.
Five of Cups; Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Tears of a Clown.
Four of Cups; Rolling Stones, I Can’t get No Satisfaction.
The Sun; Donovan, Good Morning Starshine/ or George Harrison, Here Comes the Sun.
The Moon; Bob Seager, Night Moves/ or King Harvest, Dancing in the Moonlight. Actually, Night Moves is closer to the meaning of the card but I really love Dancing in the Moonlight. When I had a Coven my intent was to pattern it off of that song. Then Politics happened.

The Tower; REM, It’s the End of the World as We Know It/ or The Doors, This Is The End.

The Devil; Grateful Dead, The Devil is a Friend of Mine.
The Fool; Lou Reed, Take a Walk on the Wild Side.
Seven of Cups, Paramore, Daydreaming.
What are your thoughts?

6 Likes

Those are perfect! I’d love to see where Peter Gabriel and Genesis would fit in!

And, even if someone has already done something similar, I still like the idea. The process of giving form to a deck, connecting all these ideas, working with archetypes… that’s a form of spiritual expression and a magickal process.

4 Likes

Those are Artists, I’m suggesting songs like … The Magician; The Cars , Magic…

5 Likes

So @John4 you want to do a SONGS OF ROCK TAROT? I like it! I would love to see the artwork for that!!! I wonder if you would have to get licensure to use the song titles. That might be an issue.

3 Likes

Not really! According to The Law

“Song titles generally don’t fall within the protection of copyright law since most are not sufficiently original or independently conceived by the artist. Are phrases like “born to run” or “on the road again” sufficiently original so as to deserve legal protection? The few words in a song title may have been used many times before and should be able to be available for general use as a natural part of the English language. Copyright law in itself doesn’t seem to prevent anyone from placing a song title on a bumper sticker or t-shirt.”

However if you want to use the image or “likeness” of an artist in the cards, that may be an issue.

2 Likes

YEAH!!! There you go John! Rock on!

3 Likes