Could I please make a request?

As a non-binary practitioner, I already have complicated feelings about a craft based so heavily in gender-aligned terms. For general purposes, I’d like to request that the site language be updated so that something like “Witches (male or female)” would be written as “Witches (of any gender)” instead.

I know this is probably not a high priority and if there’s no quick find-and-replace way to do it, might be a long process, but it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

11 Likes

Warm greetings @gardenstone!

Thank you so much for reaching out about this- I agree that it is definitely something worth looking into!

While I’m not sure where on the site the note appeared and can’t guarantee if it was in a piece I wrote or not, I believe the reasoning behind having a “male or female” note was to work around a common stereotype. As you likely know, often in pop culture and media the word “witch” is automatically taken to refer to female practitioners, but we try our best here to leave the door open and be welcoming to male practitioners who also identify with the term witch :handshake: :two_hearts:

That being said, I can see how only specifying two genders can make those of other gender identities feel un-represented. I’m confident I can speak for the entire creator team when I say that it is never our intention to exclude our non-binary friends! :heart::people_hugging:

I think this is an awesome suggestion! :raised_hands:

In regards to updating what is already on the site, I’ll tag the mastermind @Francisco so he can take a look at this.

For me going forward, anytime I wish to specify the connotation of the word “witch” I will implement this wording here to be as open and welcoming as possible :blush::+1:

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention, @gardenstone! If you (or anyone else!) feel that your identity is not being properly represented, please know that you always have a voice here and are always warmly welcome to reach out :handshake: :heart:

Lots of love and blessed be! :sparkles:

10 Likes

:purple_heart: :blue_heart: :green_heart: :yellow_heart: :orange_heart: Yes, absolutely I understand what was being said, and I appreciate it for what it is. But I’m very appreciative to hear you are open to expanding beyond these stereotypes even further.

Thinking upon it a bit more, I think maybe “(of any gender identity)” might be better phrasing, because it allows for “no gender at all” to be an option. :smiley: (For example, I consider myself “trans away from” rather than “trans toward another gender” and so when picking my gender, I prefer “n/a” as an option.

I did find two pages with “(male or female)” on the site. As I come across other phrasings that could benefit from a re-word, I will come back and add links to this thread.

Thank you again for your willingness to be inclusive of all witches!

Blessings and autumn magick!

8 Likes

Thanks for this suggestion @gardenstone and for bringing it up.

I just found and replaced three instances where this occurred in different lessons. I’ll keep an eye out for more and also keep it in mind for future content. We appreciate the feedback!

5 Likes

We try our best to make every witch feel welcome here! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: So the feedback is truly appreciated- thanks again, @gardenstone :heart:

Blessings and autumn magick to you too! :sparkles:

2 Likes