December 2022 ✨ Collective Reading Check-In

With the turkey of Thanksgiving now behind us in the United States, the holiday season is in full swing. People are going to be running around doing last minute holiday shopping, cooking their necessary food, and (hopefully) enjoying their time with family. Yup, that’s right – it is almost December and that means it is time for our December collective reading check-in!

This month, we are looking forward to December. I will be pulling three cards, as usual, to give us a bit more insight into what December has to offer. This gets added on to the first card I pulled almost a year ago (holy crap, it has already been that long!) to give us more information about what to expect for the last month of the calendar year. This month, I decided to go with a combination of oracle cards and ogham – yup, I have combined my Spirits and Shadows oracle deck with the Ogham from the Celtic Tree Oracle!

If you need a refresher for our collective reading, you can find that here → Peering into 2022 :flower_playing_cards: Collective Tarot Reading. If you are new here, this is a periodic tarot reading I do to shine light on the collective reading I do at the beginning of the year.

Was November Relevant?

Let’s look back at the card I pulled for November to see if it made sense with everything that happened.

November 2022: The Chariot :oncoming_automobile:

A man clad in armor sits in a chariot pulled by two lions. One is open and roaring and the other is moving forward silently. The man holds no reigns. He lets the chariot go where it needs to. Whatever goals we have this month, probably pulling ourselves out of the funk that we’ve been in so far, should be approached with a logical mind. We will need to lean on our willpower and determination, maintaining control of as much as we can. We will need to be bold in our approach, yet reign in our aggression and competitive nature so we don’t lose control of ourselves.

If you want to refresh your memory on the November check-in, click here :tada:

In my Putting it Together section of last month, I mentioned I have never really felt connected to The Chariot. That still rings true, even after how November has gone. However, I do feel like the month was successful and optimistic for me on a personal level. Some things are changing in my house (for good, I promise!) that are leaving me feeling less stressed, less weight on my shoulders, and more optimistic for the future. I have definitely embraced this feeling and the energy of the cards I pulled last month!

:sparkles: This month, we are looking at the month of December!

As a reminder, the collective reading for the month of November has us looking at The Eight of Pentacles.

December 2022: The Eight of Pentacles :pentacle_tarot:

We have finally made it to the end of the year. This card, the Eight of Pentacles, shows someone hard at work carving their pentacle. It is large and they have a hammer and chisel in their hands. The person in the card shows determination, wearing glasses to help them see their work closer and clearly. We will need to carry that focus and determination with us into the new year.

I can’t help but think that this card is the culmination of everything from the year. The Knights brought with them focus and determination, we faced the loss that came with the ten of swords, and we learned to shift our perspective with The Hanged Man. Maybe the Eight of Pentacles shows us that at the end of the year, we will be exactly where we need to be - focused, determined, and hard at work on our goals. We will have the tools we need to bring about the change we seek.

With this card in mind, I pulled three more cards to give us some more guidance on where December is headed.

The above image shows four cards: Eadha, Meditation, The Hunter, and Reslove.

This reading is a bit different than my previous check-ins. I decided to use the ogham to give a general sense of the month to pair with the Eight of Pentacles. Then the other three cards are treated as add-ons, the usual style of my check-in readings.

:leaves: Eadha (Edad) - The overall theme for this ogham fid is otherworldly support and it is connected to the Aspen tree. This tree is sturdy, durable, and grows in many places all over the world. In some folklore, Aspen has been found at burial sites which gives this fid the connection to ancestors, Gods, and the Otherworld. This month, we may need more support or communication with those we know in the Otherworld. You may consider setting up an ancestor altar if you have not already. If you do not have a divination method to use, now would be the time to start learning. The connection you have with those in the Otherworld can be an important asset in your life, important relationships to cultivate and keep up, and a wonderful opportunity to learn from those that have gone before us.

:person_in_lotus_position: Meditation - When we know how to sit in stillness, we can hear and see more around us that we might not have before. Having a calm and peaceful state of mind is very conducive to spiritual growth as well as learning how to listen to our intuition. This month, Meditation asks us to not get caught up in the noise and stress of daily life. Do what you can to stay calm and at peace.

:wolf: The Hunter - Do you know what you want? And do you know how to get that, whatever it is? The Hunter sees the wolf stalking their prey. They know what needs to be done to chase their dreams, or their desires, and have no issue doing whatever necessary to make it happen. The Hunter also knows when to listen to their instincts and intuition. Let the spirit of The Hunter guide you.

:star2: Resolve - Yet another card that deals in determination and confidence, Resolve asks you to reach for the stars. Or, in this case, the moon? Do your best to not let the dead weight around you drag you down. Others may try to dampen your mood, your determination, or self-confidence. You better not let them! Only you get to determine what you want. Never forget that you always have the power to chase your dreams – you just have to follow them and take the first step without looking back.

Just as a reminder…

:star: The Card of the Year: The Nine of Pentacles

• success, abundance, and reaping the benefits of our hard work

:star: Goals of 2022: The Knight of Swords Reversed

• impatience, rudeness, and an overall aggressive manner in endeavors
  • fighting for what we believe in

:star: Obstacles of 2022: The Nine of Swords

• collective trauma, guilt, and shame
  • hiding away and regretting our decisions

Putting it together…

I have to admit I do not like how many cards in this reading point to the need for determination. On the other side of determination is struggle – not fun! I think that as long as we can lean on our support system, both in this plane of existence and others, then we will have what we need to finish the year out with strength. This entire month seems to point to figuring out what we want. This comes at a good time, I think, because this is the time of year we start to think about how we want in the coming calendar year.

The struggles seem to be associated with the desires of others. Other people around you may try to pull you down or pull you back into their drama or unwanted energy. Do your best to push that away. Embody the resolve of the woman on the crescent moon, reaching for the sky as the skeletons struggle to reach her. Embody the energy of the wolf hunting for their prey, chasing their dreams, and doing what they have to to live their best life.

It may also benefit you to start thinking about the people you surround yourself with. Are they good people? Do they deserve your time and attention? This is especially true for those of us who have complicated relationships with our family or friends. Sometimes, no matter how much we care for someone, they are just not good for us. That’s okay – it is a natural part of the human existence. I feel like someone here needs to hear the message that it is okay to cut the people off who want to drag you down. You have come so far this year, we all have, and it would be a shame to let the actions or words of one person drag us back down to square one.

When I think about how this all plays back into the Eight of Pentacles, I really want you to realize that everything that has happened this year could be leading up to this moment, this month. You have everything you need to bring that determination together and put it to good use. Finish out any projects with strength and quality. Don’t settle for anything less than your best, whatever that is right now. If you haven’t had the opportunity to chase your goals (or even figure out what they are) then this is a good month to do that. We are coming up to the New Year, a time when many people around the world set goals for themselves, New Year’s resolutions, and attempt to change their lives. You can do that, too. This year is proof of that!

What do you think? Do you have any insight to share from the collective reading? And how do you think December is going to go?

If you want to do your own reading for the new month, you can find the current infographic below. I also have a blog post that goes into more detail about each card in the layout. You can find that post by clicking here.

7 Likes

@MeganB omg that resonated so much with me and my situation right now. Sister and nephews just left today. And had my mom earlier this week. I felt so drained when they left. Even tho i protected myself. Cleansing tomorrow. Fun fun fun

4 Likes

@MeganB I think we can both agree… that for me this has played out really well & I’m doing a lot better with certain aspects of my life & myself. I think it all comes together nicely for myself & my home. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

@Mistress_Of_Herbs even with protections, cleansing after extended time with that energy is always a good idea & to cleanse or refresh the items that you used for protections. They have also absorbed that energy & probably don’t want to hold onto it either. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

Yes to all of this! I really feel drawn to the imagery of the woman on the crescent moon. I’m going to hold that in my thoughts for awhile and see what comes of it! This year has gone by so incredibly fast! It’s hard to believe December is almost here!

4 Likes

I spent the majority of my morning cleaning :laughing: I’ll be cleansing during the week when everyone else is at work!

I would say absolutely :clap: everything resonates well for you and your life, too!

After I wrote that I had to look again because dang, that was a good little paragraph! :clap:

I’m glad this reading has resonated with so many people so far! I can’t wait to see what 2023 holds – it’s almost time to do my full year spread again!

3 Likes

@MeganB I am very excited to see your 2023 full year reading!

4 Likes

A period of assessing how to move forward in preparation for the new year- did I hear “liminal space”? :laughing:

I love these readings so much! :heart: While I’m hoping the month doesn’t have too many challenges and struggles in store for us, it seems like it’s an important time to set up for next year :+1:

Thank you so much for this, Megan! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’m with Ailey- can’t wait for the next full-year spread! :partying_face: :two_hearts:

3 Likes

@AileyGrey – It’ll be posted sometime next month, whenever I get around to doing it lol

I think I’m going to adopt a new practice of having a yearly theme. Next year, I’m gonna dig into liminality because it’s come up so much this year :laughing:

3 Likes

I seem to live in a liminal space :laughing: My entire last 2 years have been a liminal space :rofl: learning to navigate it has been challenging at times but seems to come for me a lot easier now. A lot of acceptance & learning has helped with that though… I think… I’m not really sure, it’s just easier than it was in the beginning… maybe once I figured it out?

Probably some kind of word salad :green_salad: going on there… but it’s definitely been a lot of liminalities.

Liminal Twins Unite! :rofl:

4 Likes

I love this idea and I think liminality would be a very fitting theme to explore! :grinning: It certainly has come up quite a bit over the past few months- sounds like a worthy topic to dive into! :grin:

2 Likes

You and me both Siofra :laughing: and it’s going to get even worse when certain people leave my house because I’m going to have to create an entirely new routine again… :joy:

It seems to be everywhere for me and a few other people the last few months lol I definitely think it’s worth exploring…I’m just not sure how yet!

2 Likes