Divination with The Runes

Hey everyone I’m back :grin: had a crazy couple of weeks but all is back in order now :blush: so here’s this week’s Rune post :heart:

So what is divination with the Runes (specifically the Elder Futhark)? This is how Lisa Chamberlain explains it in the chapter on Runic Divination in her book Runes for Beginners:
“Before you begin using the Runes in divination, it’s important to understand that what Runic readings preset is not a prediction of unalterable fate. Rather, successful divination of any kind provides what could be called a snapshot of the present moment, which can illuminate unseen factors in your situation and point to probable outcomes based on your current course of action.”
It’s the bestand simplest explanation around this subject I’ve found so far.

Tips Before You Start
Like any divination or ritual process it is always best to have as calm and clear a mind and environment as possible, whether you are reading for yourself or someone else. Take some time to mediate, breathe and cleanse the space before you start :heart:

Types of Rune Spreads and Casts
There are an array of different Rune Spreads to be found online some simple others complicated but I’m going to tell you about 4 of the main ones :blush:

This is the One Rune spread and can be used to give quick and simple advice on a current problem or situation or it can be a daily method of helping to learn the Runes. Pull one each day and spend a little of that day researching that Rune.

The Three Rune spread provides more context to a reading to a bigger picture can be obtained. Each one is connected to one of the 3 Norns of Fate and helps us make decisions based on our passed experiences and current situations.

The Five Rune spread helps to add a further layer of clarification to a reading by adding advice and a possible outcome of the advice is taken. It can help to give a stating point from which to move forward from after the reading.

This Rune cast is not one I use myself because it has many different ways of interpreting it, from where, how and in what relation to each other the Runes land, but there is a plethora of information online if it’s something you really want to look into. I had to include it since it’s the earliest known way the Runes were used for Divination purposes.

What questions can be asked? Just about anything you can imagine although it is hard to obtain simple yes or no answers from any question posed to the Runes because of the deep meanings of each individual Runes and because the Norse people believed that fate wasn’t set in stone and could be changed by the smallest of acts :heart:
What can Runes be made off? Absolutely anything, you can buy them or make them. Asking as you cleanse, consecrate and connect to them they will work for you :blush: I know @basil made a post about making your own Runes but I cant find the post to link it :pensive:

Edit: Here’s the link: Attempt to make my own Runes

Happy Runic Divining everyone :heart::heart:

Source Credit
Chamberlain, Lisa. Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination, Rune Magic, and the Meaning of the Elder Futhark Runes , Chamberlain Publications, Santa Barbara, CA, 2018.

23 Likes

Thank you @Liisa :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m so happy that you’re back!!! :sparkles::pray::sparkles:

6 Likes

Thanks for this.

I’ve just bought my first set of runes and this gives me a good place to start :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Another insightful and inspirational rune post from Rune Master Liisa- thank you so much for blessing us with this wisdom! :pray::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Perhaps this one? This thread explored making home-made runes using feathers:

5 Likes

We were starting to miss you, Liisa, and the runes!! ᛚᛁᛁᛊᚨ :smiley:

Thanks for the tips and spreads. I think the traditional rune cast is my favorite because it offers so many things to analyze: spaces, sides, shapes, interactions…!

5 Likes

@christina4 I’m so happy to be back also :hugs::heart: I missed soooo many posts but I’m getting though them :blush:

@IrisW congrats in the new Rune set :grin: I was going to make some but I’ve become so attached and tuned into my bought set that I’ll probably just use them now :heart:

@BryWisteria thank you :heart: that’s the post I was talking about :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: it was really good for ideas :heart:

@Francisco I missed everyone also :hugs: there is so much to explore with the Rune cast method :grin: so many possibilities for interpretations I might try a post on just that method next :heart:

6 Likes

Thank you got the different spreads greatly appreciated!
Someday I’ll make my own, my own
Jeannie

6 Likes

I am following @basil’s tutorial right now:

Thanks for the inspiration, Iris! :+1:

8 Likes

Francisco,
Nice job! I think I can do that! They look great!:wink:
I got a Popsicle stick and I think I’m just gonna do them one by one.
Thank you Basil
Jeannie

5 Likes

Thank you I’ve been a bit stuck on my path with the runes…:crazy_face:

5 Likes

Hi, I also made my own runes, but there is no tutorial on the site that teaches runners to predict with runes? :mage::woman_teacher:t2:

4 Likes

I bought this set decades ago - long before I began practicing the Craft - because it looked cool.

8 Likes

There are many sites that give some interpretation. Search ‘Elder Futhark runes’ and you should find them.

7 Likes

As far as using runes in divination, I know that some rune readers use a simple and easy daily practice: drawing one rune a day and gaining insight about the day ahead based on the rune. It’s very similar to the one-card daily reading in Tarot. You can learn more about this method of rune divination in Rune Wisdom Learning and the many rune draw posts in the forum.

And @anon87969570 is right on- there are plenty of places out there to learn more about rune divination! :grin::+1: I know @Liisa shared a book she recommends about rune divination: Runes for Beginners: A Guide to Reading Runes in Divination

As for other ways to use runes in magick, @Liisa shared some great ones:

To Zari and all those exploring the world of rune divination, wishing you blessed readings! :sparkles:

6 Likes

@BryWisteria
Thank you for the complete answers and links I really need. You are a wise wizard.::mage::woman_teacher:t2::kissing_closed_eyes::blush:

5 Likes

The universe has answered! This came up in my email today. It isn’t perfect but is a place to start. The Moonlight Shop sells witchy items, but also has a blog.

https://themoonlightshop.com/blogs/news/116002885-the-ultimate-guide-to-runes

I wish it said more about spreads and interpretation, but can’t have everything.

7 Likes

Thanks, a brief explanation of the concept of runes can help me get acquainted with the general concept of runes, and thanks for sharing great resources, I can not buy from this store due to location, but I enjoyed seeing so much beauty. And maybe I can find ideas to make my own craft. Thank you very much.:pray:t2::raising_hand_woman:t2::blue_heart::orange_heart::ok_hand:t2::mage::dancer:t2::star_struck:

6 Likes

You’re very welcome, @zari- I’m glad I could help! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Enjoy your rune divinations and blessed be! :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

@anon87969570, it’s the exact one I have, except my bag is blue.

3 Likes

this was really awesome. I went to the dollar store and picked up some wooden cubes and made me some runes using your link.

7 Likes