Drifting between sleep and wakefulness

This morning I had an interesting experience, I had gone to bed early, and woke up in the middle of the night to read about Kali. I read until the first morning light, and when I fell asleep, I had an awareness of my body, and where I was, but I felt so heavy I couldn’t even open my eyes. Everything else was like when I fell asleep, but there was a black moth fluttering around in the room. I even felt it on my hand once. The atmosphere was heavy, and I was idly wondering if the moth might bite me. It didn’t, and eventually I was able to open my eyes and the moth was gone.

I love liminal experiences and this wasn’t an exception, even though it was very much like what I’ve read about sleep paralysis. Have you had any experiences like this? :smiley_cat:

9 Likes

I haven’t had something quite some lovely happen to me :butterfly: but it sounds like a beautiful liminal space to be in. It might have been that liminal space between sleep and wakefulness where lucid dreaming and otherworldly travel are possible! How exciting! My only experience with sleep paralysis was not fun lol so I’m glad your experience was pleasant.

7 Likes

I don’t want to distract from your powerful experience, Celestia, but do moths bite!? :scream: I had no idea that moths bite- that’s a pretty scary revelation for me :sweat_smile:

I’ve never experienced sleep paralysis before, but my partner has and from the sound of it it is a really terrifying experience :cold_sweat: It sounds like your experience wasn’t scary or frightening, but rather almost relaxing and spiritual, but maybe that’s just how I read it!

As for liminal experiences, I love them :heart::blush: I do a lot of traveling and spend a lot of time in the “in between” spaces, where time zones meld and there are no boundaries. It’s freeing and gives a huge boost to creativity, but time in liminal spaces sometimes comes with a heavy bit of disonance and disconnection. Sometimes I hear a warning in my mind- it says, spend too much time in liminal spaces, and you won’t be able to leave. Kind of spooky haha, but I don’t disagree with it.

I enjoyed reading about your liminal experience, Celestia- thank you for sharing it! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I had to check this too… good news is that most moths don’t bite… bad news is that there are some that do and they’re called vampire moths… not sure if that was very reassuring for either of us, sorry! :sweat_smile:

I’m sorry to hear that, all of the experiences I’ve heard about have been frightening too so mine was pretty surprising! Not being able to move my body was a little uncomfortable, but I knew it was only temporary. Tantra has showed me that so much of the pain and fear in our human experience comes from pushing and resisting.

Travel gives me that liminal feeling too, and I think a feeling of freedom from attachment to a certain place, time and worldly possessions (save the luggage, which is always a pain :sweat_smile:), I can see why you love it! :relaxed: I think it has to do with ego death, like all flow states. The ominous feeling in the liminal spaces could very well be from that, the ego not wanting to be left behind. I’m not sure it can truly permanently die though before the body does. That might be why those places feel more comfortable to me, the ego knows it can pop out for a bit and it may be a second or a year but it’ll always come back :grin:

Thank you for your thoughts Bry, I enjoyed reading them and they gave me something more to think about too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

VaMpIrE mOtHs!?!? :vampire: :scream: I don’t know if I want to laugh or cry- I am adding this onto the list of “things I learned that I may have been better off not knowing” :joy:

Well, who knows- I’ll certainly be more wary of moths from now on! Perhaps that’ll save me in the end :laughing: :+1:

That’s a really interesting way to look at it! I think it’s absolutely possible that your Tantra studies have opened up your mind and allowed you to find acceptance and inner peace, even in (or perhaps especially in!) situations that are out of the norm. That’s amazing, Celestia! :star_struck: Congrats to you for how far you’ve come with Tantra :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You know, I hadn’t thought of it like that, but now that you mention it I can see how the ego could play a role in that nagging, ominous feeling in liminal spaces. There’s a definitely a part of ourselves that gets set aside or left behind when we’re in the in-between.

Perhaps that spooky voice is really just a part of me that doesn’t want to be away for long! Next time I hear the “warning”, I’ll try to dig deeper and see if I can find where it’s coming from :grinning:

Now I’ve got one less thing to worry about (creepy nagging liminal space warning), but also one more thing to worry about (vampire moths) :joy:

Thank you, Celestia! Same to you- I always really enjoy reading about your thoughts and experiences. You always open a lot of new doors and exciting things to think about! :heart::blush:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.