Ep. 124 Audio 🎧 The Dullahan, The Good Woman, and The Death Coach || Folklore for Halloween

Sharing my newest podcast episode with you all!

This month, I was inspired to give a more spooky episode for the podcast, something steeped in legend and folklore.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow was written by Washington Irving, an American author that wrote the story detailing a Hessian soldier that was decapitated during a battle in the revolutionary war come back to life without his head. However, he isn’t the first or only headless horseman in legend or myth. In Ireland and some other Celtic nations, there is another headless horseman that is commonly associated with The Dullahan.

Today’s story comes to us from Fairy Legends and Traditions of the South of Ireland by T. Crofton Crocker. It is the story of The Dullahan and the Headless Horseman. The full text is in the public domain and it is available on Project Gutenberg, as well as the full text of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving.

7 Likes

Ohhhh what a treat for Halloween! :heart_eyes: I can’t wait to listen to this- thank you so much, @MeganB! :heart::jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

You’re welcome! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope you enjoy it!

2 Likes

I was reading through this & was like… why do I already know this, like it’s recently acquired knowledge…

I was reading for the first time in I have no idea how long & a song came on & I was looking for a reference made in the song & I found an Irish site… I learned about some of this there too! I mean not as much as this post honestly, but I was so excited to be able to recognize the information & kind of I don’t know… it just all clicks now!

Thank you for posting this! I love learning new things & especially things that have to do with older times relating to newer versions. :hugs:

Full Diclaimer: If that came out word salad, I am very sorry… but I still really love this post :heartpulse:

2 Likes

Oh nice! I had heard of The Dullahan before but this was the first I had read any sort of folklore about them. They’re interesting beings, that’s for sure – not one I would ever want to encounter!

3 Likes