Feathers Anyone

My parental grandparents used to have a flock of peacocks on their farm as guard birds. Those things were noisy and mean! But they never had any predators take their chickens or goats!

8 Likes

@Amethyst i thought so! It still sits on my dresser! I had a winter wedding so it was roses, feathers and icy branches (beaded to look like ice, not real ice!)

8 Likes

I’m going to be “that person” - ugh. I’m sorry. :grimacing: I’m a bit of an ornithologist (studied in college) and have also raised lovebirds and parrotlets for 15 years.

Feathers themselves are not waterproof. Birds have a preen gland - a little bit on top of the base of their tail that they produce an oil that they spread over their feathers. This oil is what waterproofs feathers.

Washing the feathers that you found on the ground at the zoo is a good idea to minimize picking up something from other animals’ droppings. I don’t believe you’ll damage the feathers from water and dish soap. After all, they use Dawn to remove oil from waterfowl contaminated by oil spills, but the feathers will not likely be waterproof afterward as the soap would remove the preen gland oils. FWIW

@christina4 Gorgeous feathers! From a raven!!! What a find!! I have a thing for feathers and always seem to find them when I’m out running. My running friends think I’m a bit nutty :laughing:

The two I found today, both wet from the rain this morning. :feather:

Blessings

Kat

8 Likes

Beautiful feathers! My son and I go hiking in New Paltz in Lake Minewaska Park. Heres the link anyway…

I dont know what half of my feathers are because they’re are many beautiful birds that call the lake home. We find them on the ground. I bring a bag because we end up finding so many. We’ve found some rocks with quartz bandings in them. And some feldspars. (If you didn’t know) a feldspar is what makes a moonstone or labradorite have that beautiful color payoff in the light.

I’m just waking up and I’m blabbering :laughing: so ill leave the conversation now :upside_down_face:

(I tried to add a photo of all my feathers but my memories full :unamused::person_facepalming:)

7 Likes

A beautiful bouquet for a beautiful bride!

6 Likes

Thank you, @Artemisia - I appreciate you jumping in to share this! I learned something new today! :star_struck: :feather:

That is such a lovely combo for a winter bouquet, and you are such a gorgeous bride!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :bouquet:

7 Likes

Ahh thanks, Bry… it was a long time ago!

6 Likes

Hahaha well you know what they say about luxury things like good cheese and fine wine- time doesn’t erase true beauty, it only makes it better! :wink::heart:

Lots of love! :sparkles:

6 Likes

I love birds!!!
Behind my hurricane windows. Too much Hitchcock at a young age.
There was a hawk that lived in the big tree beside our house, he flirted with me every morning, sweet bird. He started showing up every morning with a small snake. Nice, huh? YUCK. My Mom used to call my Rich a tree assassin, anyway, he had the tree removed because it was a soft wood and had bugs. After that, I heard my hawk in the distance but didn’t actually see him again.
When I got over how big the sky was in Florida and went outside, I had a pair of mourning doves that hung around our house. I know it’s dumb but I spoke to them every morning. After a few years, only one started showing up. I assumed that their mate was lost, but I kept talking to her. Recently the dove showed up with another. How sweet. She had a happy ending.
You probably know this but doves mate for life unless their mates die. They may then mate again.
Thanks for your post
Blessings
Garnet

6 Likes

I love all the chit chat here, and everyone is a hoot oh my goddess!!!

@christina4 The very first thing that shot to my brain was MAKE A WITCHES LADDER! A witch’s is a folk magick practice and it is made differently by different cultures. Use it for meditation or chanting like a Catholic would use a rosary when they pray or say / chant the Lord’s Prayer. Charms are knotted or braided with specific magical intention into a cord, and then there are feathers and other objects also knotted in . The number of knots and nature of charms varies with the intended effect.

Please check out this site, it’s great and you can google Witches Ladder and read all about tons of others!

The chant on this website is the one they use all the time in that show Discovery of Witches.

I have to dig out my Witches Ladder now - If I find it, I’ll post a pic!
:ladder::black_heart:

5 Likes

Oh, I love that show, Discovery of Witches!!! And i know what a witch’s ladder is,that’s a great idea!!! Thanks for the inspiration :raised_hands: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.