Feng Shui, the Bagua Map, and Furniture Placement

Continuing the discussion from :house: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Of Hearth & Home:

My objective for this week is to begin planning the layout of our new apartment, with a focus on achieving overall positive feng shui.

What’s particularly fascinating about our apartment’s layout is its resemblance to what the Chinese refer to as the “crab layout.” This layout is known for its balanced design on both sides. The central space encompasses the kitchen, dining area, and living room, which are symmetrically flanked by a bedroom and bathroom on each side. This configuration creates a harmonious and almost symmetrical square, much like the shape of a crab. This inherent balance and symmetry serve as a promising foundation for our feng shui endeavours, as they align with the principles of equilibrium and harmony that feng shui promotes.

Feng Shui

[Source]

Feng shui (風水/风水) is an ancient Chinese practice that focuses on creating harmony and balance in living spaces. It is based on the belief that the arrangement of our surroundings can significantly influence our well-being, happiness, and overall quality of life. The term “feng shui” literally translates to “wind-water” in English, representing the natural elements that are central to this practice.

Feng shui operates on the principle that the arrangement of our environment can affect the flow of energy, or “Qi” (氣/气). The goal of feng shui is to enhance the positive flow of Qi while minimising obstructions or negative influences. Here are some key aspects of feng shui:

• Balance of Yin and Yang (陰陽/阴阳): Feng shui emphasises the balance of yin and yang energies. Yin represents qualities like calmness and receptivity, while yang represents qualities like energy and activity. A harmonious living space should include a balance of these energies.
  • Five Elements (五行): Feng shui also incorporates the five elements—wood (木), fire (火), earth (土), metal (金), and water (水). These elements interact in various ways and can be used to balance the energy in a space. For instance, wood promotes growth, while metal represents clarity and precision.
  • Colour and Design: Feng shui encourages the use of specific colours and designs to create a harmonious environment. Colours are chosen based on their associated element and their impact on the flow of energy.
  • The Bagua (Eight Symbols) Map (八卦): A fundamental tool in feng shui is the bagua map, an octagonal grid that divides a space into sections, each representing different aspects of life, such as career, family, wealth, and relationships. Feng shui practitioners use this map to analyze and adjust the energy flow within a home or room.
  • Furniture Placement: The arrangement of furniture and objects within a space is essential in feng shui. Proper placement can promote positive energy flow and enhance various aspects of life, such as career, relationships, and health.
  • Decluttering and Organising: Removing clutter and maintaining an organised living space is a fundamental practice in feng shui. Clutter is seen as an obstruction to the flow of positive energy.
  • Incorporating Nature: Adding natural elements, such as plants and water features, to your environment is believed to enhance the flow of Qi. Plants, in particular, symbolise growth and prosperity.

[The five elements. Source]

Feng shui is not just about aesthetics; it’s about creating an environment that supports physical, mental, and emotional well-being. While there are traditional guidelines, feng shui can be adapted to suit individual preferences and needs. It’s a flexible practice that aims to help us achieve balance, peace, and positive energy in our surroundings, ultimately contributing to a more fulfilling and harmonious life.

The Bagua Map

The bagua map analyses and enhances the energy flow, or Qi, within a home or specific area. It consists of an octagonal grid, with each section representing different aspects of life.

The bagua map is typically placed over a floor plan of a house or a specific room. By aligning the bagua map with the layout of the space, we can identify areas where we may want to make adjustments or enhancements to promote positive energy flow.

Before we get started, this is the bagua map I will be using:

[Source]

So, without further ado, let’s dive into the bagua map overlaid on our fresh apartment layout:

However, you might be wondering why there are nine sections in the layout? Well, this is because, in the philosophy of feng shui, the central core of the living space is dedicated to health. It’s a pivotal hub, and the other eight sections radiate outward from this central point, each governing a specific aspect of your life and surroundings.

[Source]

Now, let’s take a detailed tour through each of the bagua map sections:

Family and Health

• Honouring Family and Ancestry: Acknowledging the significance of family, extended family, and ancestral legacy. Recognising the connections that tie to ancestral wisdom passed through generations.
  • Balanced Living: Striving for equilibrium in various aspects of life. This entails maintaining mental clarity, emotional stability, physical well-being, and nurturing spiritual harmony to achieve a fulfilling life.

Wealth & Abundance

• Human and Environmental Connections: Cultivating meaningful relationships with people and the environment. Appreciating the value of human connections and the impact of interactions with the surrounding world.
  • Financial and Material Well-being: Pursuing financial stability and material prosperity. This not only fulfils personal needs but also presents opportunities for positive impacts on everyone’s lives.

Fame & Reputation

• Building Reputation: Actively shaping reputation in the world by embodying trust, love, loyalty, and integrity. Actions and choices determine how others perceive you.
  • Self-Perception: Reflecting on one’s public image and self-concept. Aligning self-perception with desired qualities enhances confidence and well-being.

Marriage & Relationships

• Divine Self-Connection: Cultivating a profound self-connection, which forms the basis of healthy relationships. Self-awareness and self-love are vital for interpersonal interactions.
  • Harmonious Relationships: Nurturing balanced connections in both personal and professional relationships. Effective communication, empathy, and compromise are essential to sustaining such relationships.

Creativity & Children

• Honouring Childlike Energy: Embracing and celebrating childlike qualities, including playfulness and curiosity, which infuse life with creativity and joy.
  • Inner Child Nurturing: Tending to the inner child through activities that evoke happiness and nostalgia. This connection allows the experience of genuine joy and fulfilment.

Helping People & Travel

• Extending Help to Others: Offering generous support and assistance to those in need. Benefitting others enriches one’s own life.
  • Embracing Adventure: Welcoming opportunities for personal growth and novel experiences, especially through travel. Seeking guidance from spirit guides or source energy enhances the meaningfulness of adventures.

Career & Life Journey

• Profession and Purpose: Recognising the chosen profession or career path as a significant life component. Aligning it with a motivating and fulfilling purpose is crucial for long-term satisfaction.

Spirituality, Knowledge & Wisdom

• Nourishing Your Spirit: Tending to spiritual well-being through practices like meditation and prayer. A robust spiritual foundation offers comfort and guidance in life’s journey.
  • Wisdom from Experience: Pursuing wisdom through life experiences and sharing acquired knowledge with others. This facilitates personal growth and positive contributions to the world.

Emperor Coins

As a reflection of my Chinese heritage and a meaningful contribution to our apartment, I’ve introduced Emperor Coins. Though I’ve opted for replicas due to affordability, I believe these symbolic coins retain their value within our home. Let’s delve into a closer examination of the two distinct types of Emperor Coins that grace our living space, shown below.

Five Emperor Coins: Five Emperor Coins, known as “Wu Zhu” (五銖) coins in Chinese, are small, round coins featuring a square hole at their centre. The square hole represents the Earth element, while the coin’s circular shape symbolises Heaven, creating a balance of these elements.

These coins are often employed to enhance wealth and prosperity – they can be placed in wealth vases, wealth bowls, or hung on red strings to attract positive energy and financial abundance. Additionally, Five Emperor Coins may serve to counteract adverse energy, as their round shape signifies the metal element, which can exert control over and weaken the influence of wood elements that may bring unfavourable effects.

Ten Emperor Coins: Ten Emperor Coins or Ten Emperors Money (十帝錢/十帝钱) are closely related to Five Emperor Coins but typically consist of ten coins interconnected in a row or circle. They find use in serving purposes such as wealth attraction, protection from negative energy, and fostering balance and harmony within a living or working space.

Ten Emperor Coins are also employed in traditional Chinese divination practices, where they can be thrown or arranged to generate a hexagram, much like the I Ching divination method.

These coins are frequently integrated into feng shui remedies, such as placement in specific areas of the home or workplace, aimed at harnessing positive energies or neutralising negative ones. Their efficacy is subjective and reliant on individual belief, but they hold substantial value due to their rich symbolism and cultural importance within Chinese traditions.

Furniture Placement

Here, I’ll explore several feng shui “issues” that I foresee in our new apartment and share my strategies for managing them. Especially in the confines of smaller apartments, where every square inch is a precious commodity, the intricacies of managing feng shui can prove to be quite challenging. Furthermore, in a cultural context in a Western nation, feng shui finds itself neglected in design considerations, only really coming up in talks of “quirky Asianness” that can be added to homes. However, there’s no need for concern, as we have a repertoire of effective remedies at our disposal to navigate these feng shui imbalances!

Before we delve into these feng shui considerations, it’s worth noting that the Emperor Coins I mentioned earlier can be strategically placed to counteract unfavourable feng shui influences. So, should other approaches fall short, these coins offer a valuable option to harmonise our living space.

What a “Wall Corner Facing The Bed” Means in Feng Shui

This situation can lead to a heightened sense of visual pressure for us, resulting in mental and physical stress. When reclining on a bed configured in such a manner, it may seem as though an invisible “knife” is metaphorically slicing into the person’s body. Although the immediate effects might be imperceptible, prolonged exposure to the direct energy emanating from the corner of the wall can eventually manifest as discomfort, pain, and even physical ailments.

[Source]

To address this issue, our plan is to conceal the troublesome corner with the use of a screen.

What a “Study Desk Facing A Wall” Means in Feng Shui

This configuration suggests that we may encounter a multitude of obstacles or barriers in our professional journey or entrepreneurial endeavours. It’s akin to the sensation of continually coming up against a physical wall. This arrangement can also evoke feelings of rejection and a lack of motivation and vision for enhancing your existing work or business situation.

[Source]

In scenarios where it’s impossible to relocate the desk, a commonly employed solution involves adorning the wall directly in front with a painting that offers an unobstructed view. Examples of such paintings include serene scenes like a sea of flowers or picturesque mountains and lakes.

In my partner’s case, I intend to implement this approach, while for my own workspace, I plan to orient my desk toward the balcony window. This strategic placement affords me a captivating vista of distant mountains, fostering a more harmonious and productive environment.

Other Feng Shui Tips

• Mirrors and the Front Door: Avoid placing mirrors directly across from the front door, as it can deflect positive energy entering the space.
  • The Kitchen Table: Maintain the kitchen table clear and clean, promoting a welcoming environment for gatherings and a sense of warmth.
  • Lighting in Dim Rooms: When dealing with rooms that are deficient in natural light, consider substituting cool bulbs (approximately 6000K or higher) with warmer bulbs (around 4000K or less). This transformation promotes a sense of well-being and ignites inspiration, creating a more inviting atmosphere within your living spaces.
  • Declutter for Positive Energy: Keeping the space organised and free from unnecessary items allows energy to flow freely, preventing stagnation.
  • Incorporating Nature: Including plants in the space symbolises growth, prosperity, and good fortune, creating a serene atmosphere. Opt for plants with rounded leaves for a calming effect.
  • Maintaining Bright and Uncluttered Entrances: Keeping the entrance bright and free of clutter creates a welcoming environment that ensures good energy is invited in, setting the tone for the entire space.

While feng shui principles offer valuable guidance, it’s equally important to place your trust in your own intuition. Feng shui, at its core, revolves around utilising your distinctive living environment to foster equilibrium in various facets of life. It encourages you to tap into your innate wisdom and instincts to make adjustments and choices that resonate with your individual journey towards balance and harmony.

As the River flows

I’d like to finish with a photograph of a red envelope adorned with the Chinese family name, an emblem of my heritage. Etched upon it is the word jiang (江) which carries the meaning of “river.”

14 Likes

@starborn Lovely entry.

This resonated most, as I feel, here in the west, we focus on aligning our furniture, work life balance etc, but spiritual nourishing seems to be the last thing people think off.

Very nice. :sparkling_heart::hugs:

14 Likes

Wow Like so many other things I studied Feng Shui just enough to confuse myself. Seems you have mastered many things and never cease to impress. :dizzy: :butterfly:

:goat:

13 Likes

This is fascinating! I really hope that your new space is filled with positive energy!! I have been working on decluttering and rearranging our spaces to work better for us. It’s hard work, but the results are well worth it!

13 Likes

@tracyS It really does. At times, it can feel as though it’s common to completely disregard the spiritual aspect of ourselves. It’s particularly noticeable in my line of work, as the software engineers I’ve worked with often lean towards a “logical” mindset and don’t care for anything they cannot measure with numbers.

Speaking of which, I chuckled when I noticed that the “Spirituality, Knowledge & Wisdom” area coincided with the secondary bathroom – I’ve done most of my meditation in the bathtub so far. :joy: It looks like the new shower will continue the trend.

@Shadeweaver My trick is that I’m only focusing on a few things relevant to me. :face_with_peeking_eye:

So basically, I sifted through a variety of feng shui guidelines while analysing the layout of the new apartment. I made note of only the aspects pertinent to my space and then prioritised them based on their significance.

First and foremost, our desks took the lead since we spend the majority of our waking hours there, including where I earn our income – making it a top priority. Next in line is our bed, especially given my partner’s struggle with sleep. Lastly, we value the company of friends, so the areas where everyone can feel welcome, at home, and at ease come next.

So if someone were to seek my advice on what they should do, I wouldn’t have a clue. :woman_shrugging: But I do know precisely what my home needs! :joy:

@AileyGrey Indeed! It’s such a satisfying feeling, isn’t it. :relieved:

12 Likes

Ohhh… and here i was hoping on feng shui consults on your website :sweat_smile:

:goat:

10 Likes

This is a great post @starborn —Lots of useful stuff here. I love it.

In my world, not sure if this is feng shui or folk religion cropping up, but to add a little salt to your full course meal…

1. Kitchen stove should be placed in a way that if you are cooking you are stirring inward from the front door as in drawing the food inward and not out.

2. House placement, south facing is best. A main door facing an incoming road (like being the center house at a T intersection) is bad luck.

3. Not a great idea if the property is adjacent to or across from a cemetery.

4. When lying on a bed the feet should not be pointing toward the bedroom door.

5. A front door landing opening directly into a staircase in a 2 story home can be protected with cloth door partitions…. I see these partitions between kitchens and living room or bathrooms and main quarters as well.

6. Sweeping the floor; I got in trouble once sweeping the dirt out the front door rather than inward into a dustpan (signifies money flowing away).

7. I’ve heard you can mitigate bad bed placement with a small mirror by the head board.

8. Placement of small folded paper talismans 符籙 under the mattress for protection.

9. A small salt crystal lamp and/or hanging plants elevated in room corners not directly near windows is good.

Of course there are ways to mitigate any shortfalls where practicality makes it impossible to follow these suggestions. And these are not absolutes in the first place anyway.

13 Likes

@Shadeweaver If you’d like something simple to check out, the site where I got the images from has a good 101 section: https://fengshuibeginner.com/101/ :black_heart:

Or you can ask, and we can figure it out together. The collective brain strategy. :brain:

@korvo Thanks for sharing these. :black_heart:

Same, the two get muddled up in my brain a lot. I grew up with many of these via friends and extended family—especially the one about the bed with the door.

Placing a divider also seems to be a popular option for solving things, from bed base and dining table facing, to solving window location problems, and sofas without anything behind them.

[Source]

An interesting one was that an amethyst geode can also solve a window problem.

11 Likes

I’ve collected tidbits of feng shui wisdom from various sources over the years, but I hadn’t heard this one before and I love it :potted_plant: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: If you ask me, a few plants (along with a furry friend! :cat:) make every living space a better one!

This is an amazing guide to feng shui with so many things to consider when designing and improving a living space- I’m taking notes! I should probably move some furniture around too- so many possibilities! :raised_hands:

Wishing you all the best with the planning and moving, Katerina- I hope your new space will bring you lots of peace and joy! :heart:

11 Likes

I’ve heard of Feng Shui but I have never gotten into it more than a very, very, basic understanding of the movement of energy in the room/building. I’m looking forward to reading through all of this! :clap: Let’s go!

This makes my ADHD brain both happy and anxious at the same time (not in a bad way, more in a colloquial way) because I love a clutter-free space. However, I’m terrible at maintaining that clutter-free space. I’m constantly cleaning up after myself (and others because…well, I’m a mom and the household is more than just the three of us) and can never seem to find a method of cleaning and tidying that works for me. I need to figure something out and I’m hoping that once we move and have our own house it will be easier.

One of my favorite creators, Shelby (of Shelbizleee on YouTube), has so many plants in her house. Every time I watch her videos I am in awe of her houseplants! I would just die for that many plants, but they would probably die first! Honestly, my garden outside only survives because it’s outside and it rains. Otherwise, I have plants in my house that I have forgotten to water and they have died… :sweat_smile: but I love a house full of happy plants!

I’ve never heard of the bagua map before. I like how each section is given a specific purpose, but I’m not sure how this would work in practice. I’ll add this to my list of things to research!

I will be taking all of these tips and keeping them in my pocket, so to speak, for our move. I really like the idea of keeping a clutter-free space, keeping plants, and keeping mirrors away from the windows. Love this! :clap:

12 Likes

This is something I’m working on for my own move as well. The most basic answer is to incorporate relevant things into the area. But that’s really hard! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

For example, in the wealth and prosperity area, you could include more purple, blue, and red things, some more wood element things, maybe a piggy bank, some crystals (for earth), etc. Similarly, in the knowledge and self-cultivation area, you could include books, blue, green, or black, more earth things like crystals, etc. (Ideas: https://www.homedit.com/feng-shui/bagua-map/)

I’ve been trying to do this in The Sims 4 today, but since almost everything we own is either black or white, I’m coming up with some “simple” ways we could add colour if we wanted.

Walls half-down. (I read that red and white can be used in the relationships room instead, so I’m not using pink.)

Yep, we have the living room and office swapped. We found we really enjoy being in the same room when one of us is cooking.

Walls up.

I think we’re well-covered in the earth element areas as I have a lot of crystals I could use. Metal is pretty easy, between circular things, mirrors, and artwork. Fire is easy; we prefer warm globes in the rooms, and I like candles. Water will be tricky…

Also, eventually, I would like to change the floors and walls to something darker. But this is what we can achieve when we first move in without spending a lot of money.

11 Likes

Well, I’ve gone full send into Feng Shui studies. :joy:

It seems very complicated, but I’m getting the hang of the most important parts. At first, it seemed overly complex and full of rules. But I tried reading some articles in Chinese, and those helped things fall into place. I found that the Chinese articles did a much better job of explaining why things are done in certain ways, even though they were a bit dramatic at times. It’s like the details are left out of the English versions I’m reading.

Anyway, I will share the results at some point. Just wrapping up another ritual. :sweat_smile:

12 Likes

I don’t know why I thought I was replying to a post in this thread, but I’m going to quote in here in case anyone wants some of those links I was talking about:

11 Likes

Oh my Gods, I love that you did this in The Sims 4 :clap: I love doing things like this, too! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thank you for the explanation and ideas for how to put that into practice. I’ll have to see what I can come up with whenever we move.

I also love that you’ve swapped the living room and the office. I’m all for “non-traditional” ways of utilizing a space in the home and that fits your life perfectly!

10 Likes

With our move quickly approaching, I’m turning my attention back to getting my Feng Shui things in order. First on my list is addressing…

The Front Door

Given that we’re moving into an apartment, my focus will be primarily on the interior aspect of the front door. This includes considering how the limited space immediately inside can be best utilised and decorated to create a welcoming and functional entrance.

In Feng Shui, the space just inside the front door is more than a mere transitional area — it is a vital space that harnesses and manipulates energy. To optimise this energy flow, we can place plants with broad leaves in this area. Such elements are believed to attract wealth and positive energy into our home.

It’s also advisable to incorporate elements that exude vitality and life. Utilising colours such as green and red can be particularly effective. Green, often represented through fresh plants, symbolises growth and rejuvenation. Red, on the other hand, is traditionally associated with festive decorations and is believed to bring joy and energy.

Given the compact nature of our entryway, which is essentially a brief corridor as depicted below, our options for decoration are somewhat constrained. Traditional methods of enlivening this space, such as placing objects on the floor or hanging pots on the walls, pose a challenge due to the limited area.

To circumvent these spatial limitations, I am considering adorning the walls with imagery of broad-leaf plants. This approach allows us to introduce a natural, vibrant element into the space without physically encroaching upon it. I’m envisioning something along the lines of the examples below:

[1, 2]

[1, 2]

Additionally, I plan to hang ten emperor coins off the front door. This is a traditional symbol meant to attract wealth and positive energy.

(Top: Five Emperor Coins; Bottom: 10 Emperor Coins)

Regarding the placement of mirrors, it’s important to note that in Feng Shui, a mirror directly facing the entrance is often discouraged. Such positioning is believed to repel prosperity and good fortune.

In our setup, while we do have a mirror in the entryway, it is strategically positioned so that it does not directly face the front door, aligning with these principles. This ensures that we welcome positive energy into our home without inadvertently deflecting it.

Lastly, I like these charming little red lanterns, perfect for celebrating the Lunar New Year, with their rich red hue symbolising good fortune and joy. They can be suspended from above, adding a warm and vibrant ambiance without taking up any floor space.

[source]

11 Likes

I really love this aesthetic :sparkles: The plant pictures bring natural energy and greenery into the space in a creative way! :herb:

They’re fun and colorful- and full of warm energy! Lanterns bring a lot of happiness into a space :izakaya_lantern: :candle:

You’re putting a lot of dedicated thought and mindfulness into designing your new apartment, @starborn! I bet it’s going to be a fun process with great benefits. May your home always feel comforting, safe, and happy :blush:

Wishing you all the best with the move and setting things up!

9 Likes

Thank you, @BryWisteria! :black_heart:

I’m now focusing on two interconnected areas of our home: the kitchen and dining space. Both are crucial for their unique functions and the energy they bring.

Kitchen

As a hub of fire (cooking) and water (cleaning), the kitchen inherently carries a higher risk of accidents. Therefore, adequate lighting is essential. Opting for light and warm colours, like whites and greens, can not only enhance visibility but also create a soothing environment. This colour palette aids in balancing the intense energy of the kitchen.

Organisation is also important in this space. Cluttered pots and pans not only contribute to a chaotic environment, which can be mentally unsettling, but also pose a hygiene risk. A neat kitchen is less likely to harbour germs that can lead to illness. Additionally, keeping the refrigerator and rice container well-stocked symbolises abundance and ensures that we never have to worry about basic necessities.

Dining

The placement of the dining table is critical. It should not directly face the entrance, kitchen, or bathroom doors. This is because direct alignment with doors can lead to the dissipation of positive energy and can psychologically feel unsettling. It’s also believed that such alignments could metaphorically “pollute” the food with negative energies. (If avoiding this alignment isn’t feasible, a screen can be an effective solution to block direct sightlines.)

The dining area, being a gathering spot, should exude tranquillity and comfort. Sharp corners are often seen as harbingers of negative energy. Therefore, when it comes to square or rectangular tables, one with rounded edges is preferable to promote a more harmonious environment. Ideally, round or oval tables are recommended, but we must make do since we already have a rectangular table.

Minimalistic decor is also advisable in the dining area to avoid clutter and maintain a serene atmosphere that is conducive to enjoyable meals. Over-decorating can not only create visual chaos but also become a breeding ground for bacteria, potentially impacting our health.

Soft, non-dazzling lighting is ideal for the dining space. Yellow, in particular, is a colour thought to stimulate appetite. Therefore, choosing yellow lighting can not only create a warm and inviting environment but also foster deeper emotional connections among us during meals.

Bagua Considerations

Despite being a combined space, the kitchen and dining room occupy two different zones in the bagua map, each with its own elemental influence and colour associations. The kitchen is situated in the career area, which is aligned with the water element. This suggests incorporating colours like black and dark blue and designs with wavy and curvy lines. The dining room, on the other hand, falls partly within the health region, an area associated with the earth element. Here, the use of yellow tones and horizontal shapes is recommended.

This presents an interesting challenge: the traditional colour scheme for a kitchen, which often favours bright and neutral tones, contrasts with the darker hues suggested for the career area of the bagua map. However, the water element does resonate with the cleansing aspect of the kitchen. To harmonise these, we can focus on curvy and wavy designs over darker colours, perhaps in the form of decorative items.

The dining area aligns more naturally with its designated zone on the bagua map. The earth element calls for warm colours and a clutter-free environment, which aligns well with the inviting and relaxed atmosphere typically desired in a dining space. This could be achieved through a simple central piece which resonates with earth and the colour yellow.

9 Likes

This is an interesting point to consider :thinking:

I love my trinkets- most of them are still packed away, but I’ve amassed quite a collection of things over the years. And yet clutter definitely increases my stress levels. The things themselves bring me joy, but put all together they become clutter, which then equals stress. Kind of ironic :sweat_smile:

Perhaps it is better (and my space is more aligned with Feng Shui) when the trinkets stay in the boxes :package: :laughing:

There is so much to consider with the placement of everything, the location of doors, flow of energy, and colors! Reading through this made me really impressed again with how much care and though you are putting into making your new living space into your home :blush:

I’m sure you’ll find the best options for placement and colors! And if something doesn’t work out, well, it can always be changed later.

My favorite take-away from this exploration so far has been the magick of a good screen- if something doesn’t align or match up, add a screen and it can shift the flow of energy! :grinning:

I’ve been learning a lot- thank you for sharing this adventure into Feng Shui, Katerina! :heart:

7 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed your whole process through this, @starborn :heart: It’s made me think really hard about the way we’re going to decorate our new home. It’s a longer house, less square and more rectangle, so I’m having trouble visualizing the map over the layout. However, I am taking the advice into consideration in regard to decor style and colors for each room!

I can’t wait to see how this applies to my home, but also to see the rest of the process that you share!

5 Likes

I’m the same. :see_no_evil: My partner keeps reminding me that we have too many things.

The decluttering is mostly important in the kitchen and on the dining table here, at least. So we can find excuses to clutter up other spaces with our collections of things. :laughing: :black_heart:

Exactly. :sparkles:

The whole thing is about the flow of energy. Even if we do not follow the more strict guidelines regarding shapes, colours, and elements, we can intuitively imagine the flow by simply standing at the front door and walking around, seeing where we can naturally go without obstruction, or not. Then we can wonder if it’s for the better or worse than a certain flow is obstructed or not. :air_element:

That’s a struggle I’ve seen come up a lot in my studies, so, I’d like to take this as a moment to offer some of the advice I’ve found. I don’t mean this to be prescriptive directly at you, but rather, use your comment as an excuse to look into a common thing people deal with regarding the bagua map. :sparkles: :black_heart:

There are actually two different ways of generally approaching the map. Using the grid, we work with irregular shapes by aligning the edges of the grid to the edges of the layout.

For example, here are some more irregularly shaped homes:

[I got both house layouts from the following: 2 Story House Plans: Small, Mansion, Farmhouse, Modern, More - Blog - Floorplans.com]

You can also decide that, “Well, this room is 80% in this region, I will treat the whole room as that region!” So, in the last example, you could make the whole Bedroom 3 into a Family & New Beginnings room. Thinking about water flow, it makes sense – liquid temperature will normalise across a space and that’s why it’s such a great coolant. :water_element:

So why did I extend the career element in my place down the entryway instead of stretching the whole square? Well, that’s because that’s another option to get it to fit. I forget the exact measurements, but if you have a negligibly small area jutting out of the “whole,” you can do that. :point_down:

Note that if you have a balcony, you do not include that. Hence why my entire balcony is uncoloured.

Another method is not using a square, but the octagon. (But you can guess that I went with the square because our place is a pretty clean rectangle.) :stop_sign:

[FENG SHUI | BAGUA MAP | ARCHITECTURE IDEAS]

If I were to use this, mine would look something like the following, which, in my case, is a lot harder to work with because it’s a lot smaller than your average house. But it becomes a lot more useful the bigger and more irregularly shaped the home is. :house:

5 Likes