Finding Beauty In Imperfection

This is my first time doing an informative topic, so pardon me if it’s a little rough around the edges.

The other day during my daily beauty routine, I was looking at an acne scar on my face. I was thinking about how I’ve had it since I was teenager and will likely have it for the rest of my life.

As I was wishing I didn’t have it, Wabi Sabi (侘寂), a Japanese aesthetic (and worldview) came to my mind. This concept isn’t saying that teaches us to find beauty in imperfection. Now, that’s not saying we should be messy or anything. :laughing: Imperfection is part of nature. After all, it doesn’t perfectly conform to our standards of beauty (i.e., the trees of the woods in my backyard are growing in random spots). Yet, I’m sure many would agree that natural wonders (such as Mount Everest, the Grand Canyon, and Victoria Falls) are beautiful.

I think this is great concept for everyone to remember and live by. Slowly, it’s helping me to see (and accept) all of my physical flaws. I may just start laying imperfect stones on my atar in the form of a pentacle to remind me of Wabi Sabi.

You can read more here, if you’d like:

12 Likes

Yes!!! The Japanese are renowned for the technique of taking something broken and making it beautiful and I heartily agree this is a wonderful principle to adopt :black_heart:

9 Likes

I love this idea! Our scars are the map of the life we lived. We should be proud of them!

8 Likes

Think of the most beautiful woman on earth. Now think of them in 40 years. Do you think that their skin will stay soft and supple? Will their face remain without wrinkles? Their breast staying high and tight. HECK NO! As a young woman I was pretty, clever and smart. But now? Well, I’m still short - so what. I’m getting old - so what, I’m fat, so what. The thing that hasn’t changed is my heart. Pretty is as pretty does, it’s what’s inside that counts. :wink:

6 Likes

This is a wonderful discussion and something I completely agree with @Kasandra! :heart_eyes: The philosophy of Japanese Wabi Sabi is fascinating and can really help to put things (such as perceived flaws) into a new and much more positive light :sparkles:

My favorite example with this is with Kintsugi 金継ぎ- the Japanese art of fixing broken items with gold. Rather than trying to hide flaws and pretend they never happened, the brilliant gold puts them in the spotlight- hailing these differences/scars as something that makes something/someone beautiful and unique :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

There’s a great video from the BBC about Kintsugi here:

Thanks so much for bringing this up, Stephanie! :yellow_heart:

10 Likes

I recently learned about putting gold in the cracks of things or mending them with it is something that was introduced by the Japanese. I think it’s a wonderful thing to do or way to look at things.

7 Likes

Blockquote
Maybe this explains why I am always trying to fix broken things and restore things. For example old furniture or Quilts. I always have had that desire! I see beauty in just about anything! I am glad that you put this into perspective!
Jeannie

7 Likes