🌎 Worshipping Gaia, the Mother Earth Goddess

Gaia (or Gaea) is the goddess in Greek mythology who personifies Mother Earth. Many Wiccans and Neopagans worship Gaia both spiritually and as a way of preserving the earth. Let’s get to know Gaia better!

Gaia-Correspondences-1

Gaia Symbols and Correspondences »

Chant to Gaia

Gaia’s Devotional Prayer :pray:

Click here to Meditate along to this prayer

Who is Gaia? :earth_americas:

Gaia is the primordial mother-goddess and progenitor of the Titans, Typhon and many other children, and she is considered the mother of all life on Earth. Gaia is also considered the actual Life Force of the Earth whose essence keeps it alive.

Gaia was a very powerful Protogenoi Deity with power over the Earth. The Protogenoi in Greek Mythology, are immortals who were the first beings to come into existence. The first and main protogenos was Khaos (Chaos).

shutterstock_659528233

Hesiod’s Theogony tells:

“…after Chaos, wide-bosomed Gaia (Earth) arose to be the everlasting seat of the immortals who possess Olympus above. And after Gaia came dim Tartarus in the depth of the wide-pathed Earth, and next Eros the god of love.”

Cult of Gaia

Gaia is normally depicted as a full-bosomed, matronly woman, which is meant to symbolize her fertility. She is often shown clothed in green, which further emphasizes this symbolism. Moreover, she is occasionally shown accompanied by fruits or the personification of the seasons, signifying her role as an agricultural goddess.

Godess%20Gaia

Oaths sworn in the name of Gaia, in ancient Greece, were considered the most binding of all. In ancient times, Gaia was mainly worshipped alongside Demeter and as a part of the cult of Demeter, and does not seem to have had a separate cult.

Today, the goddess Gaia is usually represented as a pregnant woman of great beauty. Some depict her as an elder woman covered in trees, but full of life as is the Earth.

Modern Gaianism

Gaianism is an earth-centered philosophical, spiritual, holistic, scientifically-rational, opinion that shares expressions with various religions such as earth religions and paganism while not identifying exclusively with any specific one.

gaia%20Ottawa
Ottawa, Canada: Display of unique topiary sculptures made up of thousands of tiny plants.

Practitioners of Gaianism are called “Gaians”, or sometimes Gaianists. Followers typically approach the philosophy with the perspective that we should honor the earth, reduce or soften the human impact on the earth, and be respectful of all life on earth. The latter perspective is extended to all forms of life such as plant, animal, or human, and followers will often try to maintain a close relationship with the planet

Divine Qualities of Gaia

Goddess Gaia is the creative source of all life, matter, nature and divinities. The entire vegetable kingdom with its many shades and colors. Germination, livelihood, expansion, interconnection, and prophecy define Gaia.

shutterstock_1116163892
Cornwall, Englang: Gaia marble sculpture.

Early Greeks dedicated a mountain sanctuary to her, where a high priestess called Pythia lived; this place is commonly known as the Oracle of Delphi, which later became a temple for Apollo.

tarot%20the%20world

Gaia corresponds to the card “The World” in Tarot, which shows a goddess and symbolizes accomplishment, completion, fulfilment, sense of belonging, wholeness.

She has unparalelled powers over nature, reigning over animals, the seasons, the weather, and the creation of life. The Goddess reminds us of the interconnecedness of the world and the importance of living in harmony with the environment, as well as with other human beings.

21 Likes

I am a bit confused, when I type Gaia statues, as I would love to purchase one for my garden. The Triple Moon Goddess comes up in the search as well. Are they one in the same or two different deities? Thank you for any clarification.

7 Likes

They aren’t one and the same. However, many people when listing their items for sale just use the word “Goddess” and, with algorithms and SEO, any word with Goddess in it will pull those products. There are some wonderful statues available on Etsy for Gaia statues. Here’s what I found.

https://www.etsy.com/market/gaia_statues

It could also be your search engine. If you’re using Google, their algorithm works funky sometimes. I use Ecosia - it’s free and their profits go to plant trees and fight deforestation!

10 Likes

Thank you! I didn’t think they were…but then I was doubting myself haha. Thanks for the Etsy link!

7 Likes

Thanks for the link.
I got a beautiful Gaia!

8 Likes

Thanks for the great explanation of the goddess Gaia! I have recently felt a massive pull towards Gaia and to honor her calling me i have planted 7 different types of herbs, brought a book dedicated to her and also for worship purposes i brought a statue of her to put on my alter… :blush:

9 Likes

With Earth Day coming up fast, Gaia is a really great deity to include in spellwork and rituals this week :earth_americas: :sparkles::green_heart:

It sounds like She has really reached out and connected with you, @TheMuslimWitch! May all of your new herbs thrive :seedling: :blush:

7 Likes

@Amethyst, have you seen this information? I know at one time you worked with Gaia, or on occasion?

7 Likes

Thanks for this! I must have missed it somehow. Yeppers, I do worship Gaia occasionally.

7 Likes

Anytime my friend! :heart:

7 Likes