Go With The Flow 🌊

I - like everyone else - have been affected in a variety of ways due to the current global pandemic. I know it has been talked about here on more than one occasion, so I don’t want to talk too much about the pandemic itself. However, I do feel like it has given me an opportunity to change my perspective.

I had planned on homeschooling my daughter once we moved to Florida for her second-grade year. Now, though, the schools here in Oregon have been closed until almost the end of April and I’m finding myself thrust into homeschooling earlier than anticipated. It has given me an amazing opportunity to grow closer with my daughter, but it has also given me a great deal of anxiety over how to make sure she gets a proper education while still leaving me with the opportunity to get my own work done.

We are taking it day by day at this point, and it gives me an opportunity to figure out how she learns best and develop a course of action from there. We’ve got our books. We’ve got our computers. And we’ve got each other.

It reminds me of a river, to be honest. The river has a path that it flows through. This path is set in stone - sometimes literally - and the river does not have to think about where it is going next. But what happens when a boulder falls into the river? Or a beaver builds a dam? What happens then?

Well, the water adapts! The water finds a way around the boulder or dam - or pushes through it depending on the strength of the river. The boulder can remain there for years to come, but eventually, it will wear down into the smallest pebble.

We need to be like the river in times like this. A huge wrench has been thrown into our lives and we as humans are struggling to adapt. But we are all part of the river flowing together. If we all go with the flow, follow the guidelines we’ve been given, and not panic, the river will seamlessly continue flowing and wear the boulder down into a pebble.

Yes, it takes time. Yes, it takes courage. Yes, it takes sacrifice.

But that boulder can’t stay there forever.

1 Like

Maybe there is a silver lining to all this, maybe we can reduce the 1,000’s that die each year of the flu epidemic? Like you said just go with the flow.

1 Like

I think one of the ways this can be reduced is if those who can get vaccinated, do get vaccinated.

1 Like

I agree people forget what vaccinations do for society as whole. I get flu shots, pneumonia, shingles, hepatitis everytime I need them…I am not dead from supposed carcinogens in vaccines yet!

1 Like

I always get all vaccines, too. My daughter can’t get the flu shot because of adverse reactions, so I rely heavily on herd immunity and others getting their vaccines to keep her safe because she’s a higher risk due to a lung condition.

1 Like

I’m at a higher risk of the flu too. I have always gotten the shot. I remember when I was in elementary school, I always wanted to get the nose spray like everyone else because I was scared of needles, but I couldn’t because it messed with my asthma. getting the shot instead though now makes since because the nasal method was proven mostly ineffective. If you don’t mind me asking, how old is your daughter?

2 Likes

She’ll be seven next week. I always got the flu shot because it was something we just did. Then when I started working in hospitals, it became mandatory so it’s just a habit I’ve stuck with. I know it’s safer for everyone around me if I get the flu shot, especially when I worked in the hospitals and had the potential to bring it home with me.

1 Like