Hecate, Selene, Artemis

Maybe it was the last full moon and making my first full moon oil but I’ve been drawn to the moon goddesses. Artemis has always called to me but after poking about more I’ve become interested in learning more about Selene and Hecate as well.

I figure this is the perfect place to ask for more information on the other two goddesses. Also, are there any links between the three?

:last_quarter_moon::full_moon: :crescent_moon: :first_quarter_moon: :new_moon:

13 Likes

I’ve seen the three sometimes worshipped together connected with the phases of the moon. Artemis as the maiden, full of vigor, Selene as the mother, loving and kind, and Hekate as the crone, wise and mysterious.:first_quarter_moon_with_face::full_moon_with_face::last_quarter_moon_with_face:

11 Likes

yes i have also read this too in the book called Hekate: Goddess of Witches by Courtney Weber. Although i am only 1/3 of the way through the book, the goddess are mentioned on many occasions. This might help you connect the three as one or worship them separately according to you r own interpretation. This is as different witches and different cultures too have different stories of the goddesses, who they are and how they are related to each other. For now i have (in my own interpretation) Hekate is the daughter of the goddess Asteria and the titan Perses, and Zeus honored her above all the others as the goddess of the crossroads, magic, witchcraft, the moon and wilderness. Hekate was sent out by Zeus to search for Persephone (Zeus’ and Demeter’s daughter). I also have read some witches refer to her as the direct child of Zeus as well so you can decide what you want to base your beliefs on… :hugs: :blush:

11 Likes

Working with Goddess Hecate

Hekate - The Queen of Witches

Selene- My Favourite Goddess

Today’s Devotional to Selene

Artemis/Diana - Goddess of the Wilderness :deer:

Witchy Challenge Entry - Ritual & Chant for Goddess Artemis

The Olympians - Deities of Ancient Greece

Praying to the triple moon goddess

I found some topics within the forum that may assist you with working with them. I also found:

Artemis Challenge Entry

11 Likes

Siofra gave you some great sources here within the forum! :partying_face: I think you might also want to check out Theoi.com for all beings Greek. They’ve got pages and pages of historical information, stories, etc. that might also help you out.

11 Likes

Thank you so very much for all the links for more information!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.