Hello everyone, I am a newbie

Hello, I am completely new here and new to witchcraft. I have always been interested in witchcraft. I am from a community that thinks witchcraft is evil. I know it is not, and I won’t let that get in the way of wanting to be who I am meant to be. I am super happy I found this site because I had no idea where to start my learning journey.

14 Likes

Hi @sharon20! Merry meet! Welcome to the coven! So glad you are here! If you have any questions, everyone here is so helpful and friendly, so feel free to ask anyone! :slight_smile: I grew up catholic (went to catholic school, most of my family is catholic, etc.), so I can empathize with being from a community that thinks that witchcraft is evil. I am still in the broom closet with my dad’s side of the family. On the spells8 website, there’s a beginner’s course that I found very helpful for both beginners of witchcraft and people who have been practicing for a while! Again, welcome to the group! Blessed be!! :heart:

8 Likes

Hi! I am in the estarn panhandle of WV. Grew up Catholic, and am still in the “broom closet.” Most of my family would think I am being “weird” if they knew. What they dont know wont hurt me or them.

As for your journey, there three things that I recommend. One, the Spells8 courses - they give a great overview. Two - read. There are a lot of great books out there. You might try Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham as a place to start, and others will have recommendations, too. Check out the book club for titles. And third, practice. Find little ways to incorporate the craft into your life, even if it is only stirring your morning coffee/tea/beverage of choice three times and thinking, “Blessed be.” Reading and videos and research are all a part of practicing. Do a little every day, and soon you will find yourself drawn to certain areas and will able to direct your own path. But really, there is no right or wrong way.

Welcome!

8 Likes

Thank you so much. I feel this is a safe place I can actually talk about it. I haven’t told many people of wanting to practice. I know some may end up being scared of me. Which is okay because I won’t be using spells for harm. Just self-improvement and protection.

9 Likes

Thank you, yes. I first started off with the lessons. Super happy we can print stuff to start out my own book of shadows.

8 Likes

Same - I don’t dare let on anything about it to my parents, they will try to arrange an exorcism - not a lie! And I’m in my 50s…

Do what you can on your own, and come here for support. That’s why we’re here!

8 Likes

Yes! Perfectly stated!

8 Likes

First of all Welcome.
You are not alone in the way you were taught. this is not your fault nor is it really the fault of those who taught you. Remember that for the most part to the uneducated witchcraft like science is a terrifying sight to see. Like most things humans exp within certain religious sects it is safer to fear what is not understood than it is to open their minds to a willingness to understand. Over the years this fear of witchcraft has been extended due to adaptations of myths and legends. With the advent of movies and tv, witchcraft was then extended to be portrayed in many different styles but it is the thriller and horror styles that stick in most people’s minds due to fear being such a primal reaction. You are starting a journey that will fill not just your mind but your soul and heart on many levels as your journey moves forward. Take your time here. Spells 8 is in my opinion by far is one of the best witchcraft groups I’ve ever been part of because of the sheer number of different types of witches that are here as well as the different levels of experience and so on.

6 Likes

Hi @sharon20! I’m Amethyst from Southern West Virginia. Welcome to the forum!

I’m sorry you’re having to stay in the broom closet but that’s what’s safest for you. I second going through the Courses, they’ll point you in the right direction of what you want to research further.

If you have any questions, just ask and someone will be by to help you. I look forward to getting to know you!

5 Likes

Merry Meet @sharon20! I’m Amaris from Houston, TX. I identify as an eclectic pagan green witch. Growing up in the bible belt, I completely get where you are coming from. In fact, my husband’s family doesn’t know about my practice.

I know others have offered great places to start. Here is a direct link to the Spells8 Complete Courses. I also personally like the Daily Correspondences and Lunar Spell as a guide to incorporate magick into my daily life.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions! We all love to share our knowledge as well as learn from others.

Again, Merry Meet!!

5 Likes

Welcome! I know what you mean about being around people who think it’s evil. I’m glad you see through that. It took me a very long time, as I was raised Mormon.

It’s like a family here, I’m sure you’ll love it :heart:

5 Likes

Hello and welcome home :infinite_roots: @sharon20

I’m Marsha, an eclectic solitary witch and it’s nice to meet you. I was raised as a Methodist, but I often went to a Catholic Church with my grandmother. In my opinion, the Bible is full of Miracles and I have to ask what is a Miracle? My answer, it’s just another word for Magick!

I’m glad your learning journey has brought you here. You are very welcome here, so if you need anything just reach out. We are here for you!

With love :heart: and magick :dizzy: always

5 Likes

Merry meet @sharon20 and welcome to the forum! :blush:

I’m sorry for any harsh stereotypes you experienced in your community- I’m happy to say you’ve found a new community here, and one that is very welcoming and supportive of your path! Please make yourself at home here :heart:

I’m glad you found the lessons and are enjoying them so far! The courses are a great resource, and don’t forget about here in the forum too- there is a mountain of content, activities, and discussions about many various topics in the Craft. Please jump in and don’t be shy- your coven is a very friendly one! :infinite_roots:

Looking forward to talking with you more soon- Blessed be! :sparkles:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.