Hello from Pennsylvania!

Good evening!

I’m hailing from Erie, PA on the frozen shore of the smallest Great Lake. My path to witchcraft is two-fold. One, I’m processing and unfolding the trauma of my conservative Christian upbringing by becoming everything the church told me not to be. Two, I became interested in learning more after I read a fiction book this summer. The book was called Her Majesty’s Royal Coven and while I enjoyed the book for many reasons, I think the biggest reason is that it made witchcraft feel more tangible. It wasn’t like many fiction books where the witches and wizards cast spells that defy the laws of time, gravity, and science, although there was a fair amount of that in the book, but the witches also had more tangible powers, like the ability to sense the feelings of others and animals. This resonated with me and encouraged me to learn more and discover my own powers. I also loved how the book, while fictional, included references to the rich history of witchcraft.

I’m excited to learn more and grateful that I’ve found a community!

7 Likes

Hi Jill… Welcome to your new life… There are so many amazing things to learn. I know when i first started learning about witchcraft I was at the lowest point in my life. It has changed me. Help me grow… You have definitly come to the right place.

7 Likes

Welcome Jill! I just recently joined Spells8. Iwas born and raised Catholic (my wife still goes to Mass on Sundays. She has been great in supporting my spiritual journey however)! I too am from Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. When I discovered my new path, it felt like coming home!

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @jill8! I’m Siofra_Strega, a moderator within the forum & from Cape Cod! My birth mother’s side of the family was a large part of the colonial settling in PA!

Growing up my family was Catholic :latin_cross: also. I had gone all the way through to being Confirmed, but kind of more through the motions because that’s what my parents wanted… I first became interested in following a different path shortly after that from my mom (she gave me my first crystals & we would go over astrology with each other because we were the same sign :scorpius:)… then life happened :laughing: & I came back & embraced my beliefs in 2020… about 25 years later. :heart_eyes:

The Courses are a great place to start… they are full of great information & even if it’s things you already know, they are good for a refresher & points of reference. They have links & printable pages all throughout them too. If you have any questions or would like to share anything with us, please feel free to do so! Please feel free to jump in on any open topic also! :hugs:

I look forward to learning more with you! :revolving_hearts:

7 Likes

Merry meet @jill8,

I’m Bry, one of the moderators here in the forum- wishing you a very warm welcome! :blush:

Her Majesty’s Royal Coven sounds like an awesome book- thank you so much for the recommendation, Jill! :heart: If you have any other magickal/witchy-themed books that you’ve enjoyed, please feel free to share about them in Book Club- there’s a session going right now (until Dec 23rd), you are very welcome to join if it calls to you! :books:

You are very welcome here, Jill- please make yourself at home! Don’t hesitate to reach out if there’s anything you need- the coven is here and happy to help :infinite_roots: :two_hearts:

Much love and blessed be! :sparkles:

6 Likes

Welcome to Spells8 Jill! :heart:

My name is Megan and I’m one of the moderators here on the forum. It’s nice to meet you! :wave:

My path to witchcraft has been a bumpy one, that’s for sure, and I’m also in the process of unpacking trauma – although mine is a bit different :laughing: It can definitely be a healing path, for sure! :pray:

That sounds like an interesting book :open_book: I just looked it up at my local library and they have it! I’ve put it on hold – it sounds like a really good book. I just read one called Seven Year Witch (I think that’s what it’s called?) that was really good, too. It was very fanciful and whimsical (more Practical Magic and less Harry Potter)

I look forward to getting to know you better! :heart:

6 Likes

Hello :hugs: and welcome home :infinite_roots: @jill8

I’m Marsha, an eclectic solitary witch, from Colorado, and it’s nice to meet you. Welcome to the family :people_hugging:

With love :heart: and magick :dizzy: always

6 Likes

Hi @jill8! I’m Amethyst from Southern West Virginia. Welcome to the forum! :infinite_roots:

It’s always nice to see another reader join the club. I think it was Mists of Avalon that got me started thinking about magic. Not really sure though, I read it first so long ago. LOL!

If you have any questions, just ask and someone will come by and help you out. I look forward to getting to know you!

5 Likes

Nice to meet you, Scott, and thanks for the welcome! Nice to meet a fellow Western PA resident - I venture to the Pittsburgh area a few times a year for work. If you find any cool witch sites or meetups that are worth a visit, please share! I’d be happy to do the same if you ever find yourself in Erie!

6 Likes

Oh no - it looks like I can’t reply to individual posts, or else I’m doing it wrong!

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the book recommendations - I’m excited about the book club and I love to read! I’m currently reading a series of spellbooks by Bridget Bishop that I’m really enjoying and Buckland’s Blue book, which I’m not enjoying as much - I’m in the chapters that heavily focus on covens and coven rituals and it’s just not where I’m currently at in my practice.

I’m working through the Introductory courses right now, the self-initian course and the spell casting 101 course. So far, I’m loving the format, with the short videos but also tons of additional links in the articles if I want to dig a little deeper in to a topic. In general, I love being able to create my own path. :purple_heart:

5 Likes

You’re very welcome, Jill! :heart:

I hope you continue to enjoy the courses and that you’re finding everything you are looking for as you build your own magickal path- may it be a long one that brings you much joy and many blessings! :sparkles::blush:

No worries, Jill! Like any new thing it can be a bit tricky getting a hang of the forum tools! Luckily, there’s a helpful user guide for that:

An Easy Guide to Multiple Replies

(More guides and help for learning the ropes of posting in the forum can be found in Forum How-To :speech_balloon: Guides For Using the Forum- they are there for anyone who wants them! :heart:)

In addition to the guides, you are always welcome to reach out to the @moderators for assistance- we are here to help! :blush:

Lots of love and blessed be! :sparkles:

4 Likes

Thank you Jill! Sorry I didnt reply to your lovely post sooner!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.