Hidden Pagan Finally Free

Merry meet. My name is Ben. I’m from the Midwest in the USA and came from an extremely conservative branch of Christianity. I have explored Wicca in the past but I burned everything when I started feeling guilty about turning my back on my family’s faith.

Many friends along the way have believed I was living a lie and needed to give in to whatever was calling me and it took half a lifetime for me to accept that reality and to embrace my path. They are ecstatic that I am on this new road and I am excited to see what has been hidden from me all of these years. I’m unlearning all of the bad I was taught from such a hierarchical and patriarchal belief system and I look forward to learning all the good from others on here and elsewhere online.

Thank you for having me.

6 Likes

Merry Meet, Ben! :wave:

Welcome and congratulations on finding a new path!! :clap: :clap:

I agree with you, I feel that unlearning any judgement from past beliefs is the first step. After that, my advice is (not to start buying tools!) but to read a lot and practice.

You can do that simply by embracing the peace of the natural world. There are not really set rules of how to practice Wicca.

This is a good point! And there’s a reason why Neopaganism is sometimes called Goddess-spirituality. It’s about embracing the Divine Feminine. A great book on this topic is The Spiral Dance by Starhawk.

Feel free to comment on any topic in the Forum, and explore all the content on Spells8.

Many Blessings! :pray:

2 Likes

A very warm welcome to you, @praecog29! :heart:

It sounds like you have learned a lot and come a long way on your path in life- it is so exciting that you here now and that you have embraced magick as a part of your life journey! :sunrise_over_mountains: I am glad to hear you have the love and support of your friends- I hope you will find the forums a place to make new friends and connections! :two_hearts:

As Francisco said, feel to free to post in the forums at any time with questions, advice, or your own personal experiences that you would like to share :books:. We all have so much to gain from learning and growing together! :handshake:

Is there a particular aspect of magic that calls out to you? Maybe you have an inclination towards herbs :herb:, crystals :gem:, spellwork :sparkles:, astrology :milky_way:, or perhaps something else? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. If you’re up for the adventure, the Spells8 YouTube Channel is a great place to browse topics and hopefully find something new and interesting to learn about! :open_book:.

Another great place for a sampling of different techniques and ideas is to take a look at the Daily Devotional- it updates every day with many suggestions and resources! :crystal_ball: .

While we all walk our own unique paths, you are very welcome here in this community where we can share and grow together :herb:. Feel free to reach out at any time! :two_hearts:

Blessed Be! :sparkles:

2 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome. :smiley:

The only other time I explored Wicca was 20 years ago. During that time I got deep into Tarot, meditation, and studied crystals. I am starting in those areas again because that is what I am most familiar with and my friends think between Tarot, meditation, and studying, I will find something that naturally draws me to it.

I will have to share my story sometime - not for kudos or attention, but hopefully so others can see it and find something that might help them, too. It’s possible people on here will see things from my story that I might miss as important to my future growth and I always welcome that input.

Currently I am talking about my journey on my private social media account and the feedback has been wonderful. I am showing others how this journey is a natural progression from where I have been and where I hope to be someday by comparing Christian ideas to their pagan roots. I look forward to getting to know people on here.

It feels so good to finally be able to say this and type this without hiding:

Blessed Be

3 Likes

That’s a great way to look at it, Ben!

I feel that Christianity and some forms of Paganism have a lot in common. After all, Christianty was formed during the Hellenistic times and most of its core theology is based on Greco-Roman, gnostic, and platonic values.

The rise of Paganism today, in my opinion, has to do with filling a gap left by the secularization of the West and globalization. It’s also a lot more inclusive and a good fit with progressive thinking, so a natural step towards a global spirituality.

4 Likes

Please feel free to share your journey and experiences here- I absolutely agree, we all have so much to learn from each other! :blush: Sometimes by telling your story, it helps you to organize your own thoughts and see symbols or meanings that you may have overlooked before- a story can be beneficial to all :open_book::two_hearts:

I am so excited for you and your reclaimed freedom of practice :sparkles:. You are very welcome here- continue to spread your wings and let your magic take flight! I am cheering for you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Blessed Be :heart:

2 Likes

Merry meet praecog29

I am so envious of you. I have just begun my journey and must stay completely hidden and its not fun. I am so happy you have the support of friends. My friend due to pas experiences is completely against the path I have now discovered due to a past experience of her partner preforming voodoo for harm so she thinks what I am doing is the same.

Also my partner is 110% against any form of magic. I smelt my sage smudge last night and started to freak out and asked me what I was doing, lets just say I had to paddle my way out of that one real fast. He asked if I thought i was doing magic and in a joking way I answered yessssss. his reply to that was “don’t even think about doing any of that shit around here”. I wish i could have harry pottered him with magic want and turned him into a slug lol.

I wish I had the support you do and could begin my real journey openly and freely. I wish you all the happiness in your new found freedom

3 Likes

Do you know why?

Megan wrote a post about these things here: Dating Non-Pagans.

In my opinion, a good partner should respect your intelligence and trust that you can make the right decisions about your own spirituality. But I would like to know what’s the argument against Magic… Most of the time it’s just fear of the unknown.

3 Likes

Merry Meet @praecog29 !! And a hearty Welcome to you!!! So glad to hear you finally get to follow your path. Its hard being in a very conservative christian family…but here you are! You have come to the right place for learning, enjoying and just getting to know nice wonderful people. So Blessed Be! and looking forward to you being a part of our forums

2 Likes

Welcome! So glad that you have found your path and the strength to follow it! Blessed be!:two_hearts:

4 Likes

Welcome! Blessed be!

3 Likes

I am so sorry you have to face this. I know how difficult it can be to feel persecuted in your own home and to not have security because people you cannot understand your path. My journey to this point took a lot of time and there were bumps in the road. Stay strong, while still keeping an open, gentle heart. I pray you will be free to be yourself someday.

3 Likes

Well for one he is catholic (non practicing)
I am guessing it is fear from watching too many movies that portray magic as evil.
In any case I realize that he is a huge source of negativity in my life and i will never have his support or understanding.

Time to do some house cleaning

2 Likes

It is unfortunate that the media sometimes portrays magic in a bad light. I’m always happy to see nicer representation- stories like Harry Potter are close to my heart, I love when magic is shown as something warm and inspiring :heart:! Magic is used similar to a tool- like a pen or a sword, it is not inherently good or evil. The purpose of magic is controlled by the hands that wield it :raised_hands:

I hope your partner can learn to see magic in a new light, or at least be respectful of something that you hold dear! :pray:

2 Likes

He will never come around. Even Harry Potter is BAD, any form of magic or spirituality is bad to him. It is time to sweep him out the door

4 Likes

I would have understood it if he at least had some sort of respect for other spiritual paths, but apparently he sounds like a very intolerant/negative person. I don’t know him but I think it’s best to let him go!

New beginnings are always easier than old struggles! Best of luck to you, Katt!! :muscle:

2 Likes

I will be getting a HUGE broom and sweeping out the door on a very windy day to make sure he goes far far away. i hear Siberia is having some lovely weather this year…lol

Once that’s done and I have cleansed the space he occupies of all his negative BS I will be starting me a lovely and fully visible alter with all the things that speak to me. I will be creating my book of shadows and decorating it (I already have sone material and ideas) and I will be able to practice and learn freely with NO OBSTACLES :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It sounds like you’ve thought things through and come to your decision to be free- good for you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Big changes can be intimidating, but stick with your gut feeling and what you know is right for you. I wish you all the best of luck with moving on- and it will be so exciting to see how your new altar and space for practicing turn out! :star_struck::candle:

Sending many blessings and warm thoughts- good luck, @Katt! :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Welcome! Very nice to hear your story!

Blessing :star:

2 Likes