Hoodoo practitioner

Are there any other hoodoo practitioners available here? Or is everyone only practicing Wiccan?

14 Likes

There’s a whole lot of non-Wiccans here but I’m not sure about Hoodoo. It’s such a closed society. Hopefully if there’s one lurking or something they’ll speak up!

8 Likes

Thank you for your reply

9 Likes

You’re welcome! I’m sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

7 Likes

I have another question. Do you see many BIPOC Witches

8 Likes

Where I live, no not really. That’s not to say they aren’t out there but I’d say they are well hidden.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for your gentle answers.

8 Likes

You’re welcome. I really wish I could do more to help you out!

5 Likes

Hey there! :wave:

I see Amethyst has already answered your first question – I’m sure there are those here that practice hoodoo. In my experience, hoodoo practitioners tend to be more on the quiet side to protect the hoodoo community. :heart:

And Amethyst is right! Not everyone here is Wiccan. I myself am an eclectic witch and Celtic polytheist. We have many people here in the Infinite Roots Coven :infinite_roots: from all walks of life and religious paths. Everyone is welcome :blush:

I know for sure there are many BIPOC witches here in the forum, though I think they tend to be lurkers more than anything :sweat_smile: which that’s totally okay! Here in my area IRL there are many BIPOC witches and magical people. I also follow many online as well, whether through Instagram, YouTube, or TikTok.

7 Likes

Thank you for responding. When you say lurkers do you mean that they are less engaging?

7 Likes

Ahh, yes, that’s what I mean. A “lurker” tends to interact less but read more. I think of a lurker as someone who is introverted, not ready to engage in community, or just hanging out here :blush: We welcome lurkers here too!

8 Likes

@Intentional_Witch
There are many flavors of witches here, Wiccan, Christian witch, Buddhist, etc. Hopefully, someone will reach out to you.
Blessed be
Garnet

7 Likes

@Intentional_Witch im not a Wiccan. There are many faiths here love. All are welcome. As are u. I truly hope u find a home and community here.

What is a BIPOC witch? Sorry i. Not familiar with that term.

9 Likes

BIPOC stands for Black, Indigenous, and People of Color :pray:

9 Likes

@MeganB oh ok. Thanks for clarifying for me. I had just never heard it before.

9 Likes

I study Voodoo/Hoodoo

11 Likes

Nice hopefully you will gain some valuable knowledge and can share with us if you like :blush:

8 Likes

Oh, I was wondering what that meant too lol well I am black/brown however you may refer to it. I like to personally think of myself as some mystical creature. I know a little about everything, including hoodoo/voodoo practices and things of that nature :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi @Intentional_Witch, welcome! I’m Siofra_Strega a moderator here in the forum & I am not Wiccan. I’m more of an Celtic leaning witch… not really leaning more like tilted :laughing: I work with the Celtic pantheon, practices, & also other things that kind of all work well with Celtic Paganism.

I think @MeganB & @Amethyst are both right in saying that yes they are around, but some or most are less engaging within the forum, but tend to read through the posts & such. Which completely okay too! They are just as welcome to enjoy the forum/coven :infinite_roots: as they want or need to.

I know we have others that work with Hoodoo &
I believe @jan_TheGreenWitch just finished a couple of books on the practices for her own path. They are definitely around too!

9 Likes

I study hoodoo and I know of sources. I would not call myself a hoodoo practitioner (not Wiccan, either). Because I am not African American, I would not call myself a practitioner (for cultural appropriation reasons) and also because there is more of an emphasis on hex work and baneful work than suits me. But it would also not stop me, as it does not stop many, from trying a few things, such as root work and domination work. One reason I would dabble is because hoodoo incorporates some Western European customs/traditions, as well as Native American traditions. But study and dabbling is as far as I go, as it is complex in symbology and heritage and is really an African American and Native American tradition.

9 Likes