I am making a magick potion - Florida Water

Not sure how this is going to turn out, but I am attempting to make Florida water. I have read several different recipes for it so I’m using what I have on hand. 2 cups of vodka, 1 lemon, 1 lime, 1 orange, a handful of fresh rosemary, basil and mint, a few cloves, a few cinnamon sticks and dried lavender I filled the rest of the jar up with water. I am going to charge it under the full moon tonight. One recipe said to let it sit for a 29 days but they were using citrus peels and I’m using the whole fruit so I don’t know if it will hold up. We will see.

18 Likes

That sounds lovely @Ostara! Whatever comes out of it is sure to be magical!

7 Likes

That looks beautiful, @Ostara- it really looks like a work of art! :sparkles: Great job on your Florida Water, I am sure it will turn out amazing (and smell fantastic too!)- bravo! :clap::two_hearts:

8 Likes

Awesome!!! I always make my own Florida water and I tell you that it always feel super charged when you do it yourself…well to me :grin: I use it on my counter tops and floors…basically where I am going to have more activity . Great job!!!

5 Likes

Ooh! That looks pretty and reminds me of summer! Well keep us updated on how that comes out!

7 Likes

Yes Ma’am @christine13, I will!

6 Likes

@Ostara one of the fun things I love about what we do is every time we redo our spell it gets better and better. I am also curious how fruit slices will compare and hold up to rinds. Will you update us as your Florida water comes to be? I love every bit of your potion and would like to recreate it in my home :heart:

7 Likes

I will give an update. Not sure how the fruit slices will hold up either! I think I may be making some kind of potent moonshine instead of Florida Water. Lol!

8 Likes

Florida Water Eau du Cologne
Is it a unisexual body fragrance, or…magical ingredient?
Florida Water is a popular item from the 19th century still used in modern witchcraft. But what is the history of this magical item?
Believe it or not, Florida Water got its start as an American answer to Europe’s popular Eau du Cologne in 1808. Florida Water offered a fresh citrus-spice scent, lighter than standard perfume. Initially used as a cologne, it was used as a freshener for linen and other things. While it is inexpensive to purchase there are many recipes available in books and online for making your own.

Gwyn’s Florida Water Recipe: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/3pagansandacat/2019/09/florida-water-history-magickal-uses/
How to Make Florida Water - Moody Moons
Garnet.

8 Likes

The potion is being charged by the full moon at this very moment!

8 Likes

I learn something new in here everyday. I had never heard of this, excited to see how this goes for you.

6 Likes

@Garnet I literally just tried out the Moody Moons recipe yesterday for the full moon and charged the bottle. It smells great, but it definitely picks up the color of the spices and ends up more tea colored than the Florida water traditionally seen in metaphysical shops. That said I made a full 750 mL in about 2 hours, and had everything on hand except the cheap vodka.

I did up the cinnamon a bit, and next time I will probably cut the rosemary a little, but that is a scent preference. I also recommend using orange peel. I had lemon, lime, and orange peel on hand and used orange and lime. As it was simmering the orange was soothing and balance the lime out some as it was a bit sharp.

@Ostara let us know how the longer method works out.

8 Likes

@Litha I will let you know how it turns out. 29 days is a long time to wait. I may cook up a fast batch in the meantime. I still have all the ingredients, except the orange, but I do have orange oil that I can use.

7 Likes

The Florida water is done after 29 days. It smells really good. I will strain it tonight and see the final result.

8 Likes

Woohoo congrats, @Ostara- I can see that beautiful golden color in the picture, it looks amazing! I can imagine it smells heavenly too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Good luck with the final straining, may your Florida water serve you well! :clap::sparkles:

7 Likes

Thank you!

7 Likes

Wow. That looks great @Ostara!

7 Likes

Very interesting. I absolutely have a love of potions, and this is an area of my craft that I want to expand. Potions are great! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I love it you did awesome

7 Likes

The final result!

6 Likes