I finished the blanket!

IT. IS. FINALLY. FINISHED!

I have a dear friend with 4 kids. Her mom made each of her kids a blanket, but her mom died before the last baby was born. She was sad the baby didn’t have a blanket, so I offered to make one. I have been working on said blanket for almost a year. I have had to take it apart and redo it more times than I can count and had gotten to the point that I despised it. I gave myself a deadline… which was actually 10 days ago (flexibility, am I right?) but today… today I finished the blanket! It is 32,556 stitches of imperfection, but it was made with so much love!

It has 195 “grandma wishes” in it…. One wish for each row… wishes I am pretty sure her grandma would have made for her life. I am so excited to gift it to her next week (or the week after, depending on the outcome of the little league state tour is!)

I give you THE BLANKET!

15 Likes

Wow, that looks absolutely beautiful, and made with so much love. That child is so lucky.

Thats worth more than some cheaply machine made Louis Vutton scarf and an item for life.

10 Likes

Thank you! It’s the same stitch as her siblings have, so now they all match!

11 Likes

@AileyGray that is gorgeous, that is one of my favorite types of blankets to make. It’s gorgeous & reminds me of the golden & white loving, healing, light :star_struck: & the sunshine :sun:

I agree with @Temujin_Calidius that it’s a lovely blanket for a lucky mom & baby. So thoughtful of you to make one for her :heartpulse:

10 Likes

Thank you! Baby’s nickname is Lemon, so it had to be yellow!

11 Likes

Oh absolutely! :lemon: :heart_eyes: That definitely goes with sunshine too!

10 Likes

Congrats, @AileyGrey!!! :partying_face: That is amazing- and it looks so beautiful too! :heart:

I know you’ve had this set as your goal and been working on it for a while- the end result is definitely worth the work, this is such an amazing and heartfelt gift. Like Temujin said, that is one lucky and loved baby :blush:

Congrats again to you on the successful completion of your project! :raised_hands:

11 Likes

WOW. You did an awesome job! I bet the family will love it!

11 Likes

I love this so, so much! As a fellow crocheter, I know all the work, time, and effort that goes into making a project this big. :sparkles: Congratulations on finishing it! I also love the thoughts behind it. The grandma wishes is a good idea, too! You’re such a kind soul and it shows through the things you do. I’m sure this blanket will be immensely loved for many, many years to come :heart:

10 Likes

Thanks friends! There are mistakes for sure, but at this point, I’m just so very happy to have it done!!!

10 Likes

@AileyGrey
Kirsten, you are such a kind and generous woman. Remember the 3 fold rule. You’ve just earned an A+++ x3.
Something you probably didn’t think of but, this is a generational gift, given to Lemon to their baby, etc.
Blessing and goodness for you
Garnet

10 Likes

Beautiful blanket @AileyGrey! 195 “grandma wishes” gave me goosebumps!

10 Likes

@AileyGrey wow thats amazing! I always wanted to learn how to crochet, but never did.

8 Likes

So beautiful!! I miss the blanket that my great grandmother made for us (my mom has it but I’ll get it eventually).

8 Likes

I wish now that I had written them down…

7 Likes

You should learn! My mom taught me about 4 years ago. She’s been begging me to learn forever and finally, one day, I was ready! Now I love it. It orders my brain and forces me to slow down. I can’t make it as complex or simple as I like!

8 Likes

I might need too. It might help strengthen my hands. I’ll ask my neurologist at my upcoming appt if this is a task that could be an asset or hindrance.

6 Likes

I am by no means trying to intrude, but I have issues with my joints & hands. I’ve had surgeries on both, after some time though I was able to get back to crocheting & knitting I had to go slow upon returning to it because my hands don’t move the way that they used to… my motor skills, a lot of fine motor skills will still give me trouble though.

You don’t have to do it fast, you do it as fast or slow as you want & it’s easy enough that you will do what’s comfortable for you once you get used to the flow of the stitches from yarn to needle to project. I think it would be valuable in helping your hands be able to move more freely & comfortably.

7 Likes

@Susurrus oh u arent intruding, NEVER. i love your input. And I’m pretty sure my doc will say yes. I just always like to run things past her first. Its just like when the whole CBD craze started. My email was flooded with stuff about it. So i asked her. And she said that while yes it does give relief to some neuropathic patients, but for me and the severity of mine i would just be wasting my money. And theres been many many other things too. Thats just the first that came to mind.

7 Likes

@Mistress_Of_Herbs, believe me, I get it. I have a chronic illness that affects my joints, tendons, mobility & then chronic migraines; so I know that sometimes depending on the activity or holistic assistance, asking your providers is always a good idea. You need to make sure that you are taken care of first :heart:

7 Likes