I'm an eclectic witch, not a wiccan

Been using this site for nearly a year, since last October when I became a witch.
And when I ask questions about certain things. People mistake me for a Wiccan witch.

I don’t follow the rede. And If I need something done, I think about it, and either do it or don’t.
I have my own morals and I understand people don’t know what path I follow.
But I follow my own path.
I do what I feel is right for me and everyone involved. And look at the outcomes through divination.

And if no one is majorly affected by the things I do, I do them.
If they are affected, like even a hint of sadness, I don’t do it.
Depending on what they’ve done to me/for me.

People don’t know my connections with the people I involve with my spells.
So I understand that too.
But Just for clarification, I’m not Wiccan. Or pagan.
Just a plain eclectic witch with my own rules I follow.

And since I never explained what I am or what I follow.
I thought I’d mention it now to avoid future complications.

Thank you for all your help, and I hope this helps in future notice when I ask a question about a certain spell. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hey there Jada :heart:

I just wanted to pop in and say that no one should be making judgements or assuming that anyone is Wiccan or follows the Rede. I myself am an eclectic witch and Celtic pagan with no desire to follow the Wiccan Rede as that’s not my faith.

We should not have to preface nor explain ourselves, so I’m sorry that you felt that was necessary :hugs: If you have any issues in the future, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the mod/admin team (staff)

8 Likes

Your craft is your own and you are amazing just the way you are :heartpulse: I’m also an eclectic :heartpulse: Blessed Be :heartpulse:

5 Likes

I sincerely hope no one has bothered you publicly or privately on this site about your beliefs. I second everything Megan and Lisa have already said. If you need to reach out to one of the staff please do.

This is a perfect time to throw in some friendly reminders for all of us because it takes all of us to keep this a fun, safe, and welcoming place to grow and learn.

Spells8’s excellent Spellcasting 101 course includes a lesson, “What is Wicca? A Religion of Witches?” It contains this helpful tip.

So, what is the difference between Wiccan and Witch? It’s important to note that, by today standards, not all Witchcraft is Wicca and not all Witches are Wiccans . Wicca is a specific religion or set of beliefs, while a Witch is a practitioner of any type of Magic or Witchcraft. A Wiccan Witch is a practitioner that adheres to the Wiccan beliefs.

In the Spells8 About Us, we see the following quote.

Having said this, you are free to decide what kind of Magic you want to practice. We encourage following the Wiccan Rede, but we don’t judge those who don’t.

Many on here will default to the Wiccan Rede because Wicca is a starting point for them into all things witchy. But no one here should be judging those that don’t practice the Rede. People will use it when responding to questions from others, especially about certain forms of magic, but their use of the Rede does not mean the questioner must use the Rede also.

(Edit in: I understand your dilemma. You are not Wiccan. People respond to your questions with Wiccan ideas. That can seem overwhelming. Hopefully no on is pushing their beliefs on you. That said, if we requested Wiccans not respond to certain questions, we would be excluding them from those conversations. There is a balance to be found and I explain below how I find that balance on here.)

As a mod, this is when I fall back on the FAQ, specifically the following three points.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people . Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

If You See a Problem, Flag It

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it . If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

Always Be Civil

• Respect each other. Don’t harass or grief anyone, impersonate people, or expose their private information.
9 Likes

Thank you :hugs:

6 Likes

I really appreciate you guys for welcoming me and my beliefs :heart:

6 Likes

Blessed be :heart:

6 Likes

I certainly agree with @MeganB nobody should be judging you or anyone here! Please bring it to a mods attention. :pray: Please! I’m eclectic too! And there’s nothing wrong with that! :two_hearts:

5 Likes