Is selenite really selenite?

I agree with @roxanne, as a Selene worshiper, I always associate her colours with clouded stones not clear anyway.

It’s annoying and misleading but if you feel a connection with your crystal that’s the most important thing to me :heart:

6 Likes

I really didn’t know about that :scream: I’m purchasing items to my altar and I should be watchful for this detail!

3 Likes

True! I like to hear others point of views. That’s why I made this post. I know it’s all from the group gypsum. Wondering others opinions. Thanks bc that’s a great point!!

4 Likes

I almost purchased a fancy one that has a unicorn horn shape! I have to research a bit more on Google for real selenite :wink:

4 Likes

If you shave a piece of your milky selenite, it is like the glass one featured, don’t let them comfuse you.

4 Likes

That’s a very good point! Never thought of that! Guess I need to think outside the box a bit more! After reading all the replies from this, I realized all that matters is the connection and how it works for you!

1 Like

I watched this video a while back on YouTube Comparison: Selenite VS Satin Spar and she does a wonderful job explaining the two. Are they the same thing? She claims in the video by saying “…yes and no. Both are selenite which is a form of gypsum… Just in different forms…”. They both make up the same chemical composition CaSO4 · 2H2O (Hydrous calcium sulfate).

https://www.crystalguidance.com/selenite-vs-satin-spar/

Both Selenite & Satin Spar will have pretty much the exact same metaphysical properties. So I would not get upset about which form you have. Both forms are authentic and one is not considered a “fake version” over the other.

Hope this helps explain a bit better! :smiley:

@christina4 @Francisco @BryWisteria @jill @SageDove @roxanne @chelsey1 @Abs53 @AlastorApothecary

11 Likes

Thanks, that makes me feel better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that video @Missa! That’s just what we needed! :smiley:

My takeaways:

Selenite can be any crystalized form of gypsum. Satin Spar is specifically the fibrous type of gypsum. “Selenite”, however, is commonly used for the transparent variety of gypsum.

Satin Spar itself is a “description”. There are other types such as Satin Spar Calcite or Satin Spar Orgonite, as mentioned in the video.

Another interesting thing is that if you get it wet, Selenite is not going to dissolve. It can sit in water and it’s not going to be ruined (according to the video).

6 Likes

Very helpful- thank you so much for sharing, @Missa! :gem::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

I have also found that if you take the selenite we all get, and slice a very thin piece off, it is clearer…so they are so much the same, it really doesn’t matter.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the explanation! Sorry for any confusion. I just wanted to know how others viewed this subject. I appreciate it!

4 Likes

I bought 2 “selenite” or satin spur rods to energize my crystals. I need to understand the energies. So much to learn! I will try my best.

2 Likes

It’s good to start with a guided meditation or a book on crystals to “trigger” the sensations while working with the crystal.

I noticed that Michael Grieger in his book Healing Crystals: The A - Z Guide discriminates between the different types of Gypsum (Selenite). From the book:

Selenite (Gypsum Crystal)

Equanimity, gentleness.
Spirit: Helps with stimulus satiation, eases stress, brings emotional stability.
Mind: Promotes unprejudiced perception.
Body: Calms the nerves, improves movement and helps with motor and coordination disorders

Selenite (Fibrous Gypsum, Satin Spar)

Shielding, control, strong hold on life.
Spirit: Calms irritation and hyperactivity; protects against loss of control; helps with withdrawal.
Mind: For conscious perception and dissolution of personal patterns.
Body: Firms up the tissue and relieves pain.

5 Likes

Francisco, I am always thankful for your knowledge! Thank you so much.

4 Likes

I have Satan Spar too, then obviously. But I thought it was Selenite.
Thanks for this info.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I asked my friend/crystal supplier for her input on this. (I just ordered a selenite bowl shortly before reading this so I was curious) she said at the base, they are considered the same in the mineral/crystal community. The clarity depends on the location it was mined, just like many minerals. There are also very clear varieties of calcite that people also sell as selenite (I just bought 2 nice sized chunks that are on their way now. I knew it was calcite when buying.)

Unfortunately, there is a percentage of the crystal community kind of adapts, changes and sells things however they feel will profit them the most. I have both varieties of “selenite” in my collection. When my bowl gets here later this week, I’ll post a few photos with my various pieces of selenite, the bowl, the calcite I’m waiting on and a piece of lemurian quartz that ALSO mimics selenite.

5 Likes

I Just received a clear version of a selenite slab. It’s pretty nice. I have a huge collection. I’m not sure I can put that many pics on here :sweat_smile: I’d love to show them to you all!!

5 Likes

Nice! Thanks for the confirmation!

2 Likes

Good idea to check with your crystal supplied friend, @haley! Thanks for sharing what you found :+1:

I would love to see some of your crystal collection, @christina4! :heart_eyes::gem:

3 Likes