Italian Goddesses?

Good Morning all, I have been searching to see if there are any Italian goddesses out there, and seem to be coming up short. My heritage from Calabria and Sicily is quite important to me and as I was meditating this morning, it came to me to worship an Italian goddess. I already worship Gaia, Hekate, and Brig, but apparently I need to seek my heritage more.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

9 Likes

I can point you to a book that I’ve heard is really good. Italian Witchcraft by Raven Grimassi.

Hope that helps you out!

5 Likes

@Amethyst I actually have that in my Amazon cart. Time to pull the trigger on it I guess. Thank you!

5 Likes

I have never read it but there is a book called “Aradia: Gospel of the Witches” by Charles Godfrey Leland, 1899. It is about witches from the Tuscany region of Italy who worship the goddess Aradia. She is the daughter of Diana, sent to earth to teach witchcraft to the oppressed. It was apparently very influential in the early days of Wicca for people like Gerald Gardner and Doreen Valiente and contains the “Charge of the Goddess” in its early form. Leland is said to have received the information from an Italian witch over the course of many years.

6 Likes

You’re welcome! Sorry I wasn’t more help. I know more about Greek deities than Italian.

4 Likes

There are Roman deities, they are commonly associated with Greek counterparts.

List of Roman Deities

I hope that helps or maybe points you in a good direction. :blush:

6 Likes

Did you see this article about the sycretization of Persephone and Aphrodite into the mountain Goddess worshipped in Calabria? So interesting! Madonna of the Mountain in Polsi, Calabria — Italian Folk Magic

5 Likes

Sorry I don’t have any answers for you but I’m actually curious now. My family is from Sicily too. My grandfather was born there. I have some of his stuff that he brought over in his old suitcase.

7 Likes