Kylie here from the Philippines! Replies are highly appreciated!

Hello y’all! I’m so happy to be here. I’ve been fascinated with the idea of magick and anything supernatural ever since I was a kid. I watched CAOS a few years back and my fascination and curiosity grew stronger so I started researching about witchcraft. Can’t believe witches are real and that they are not as bad as the elders here would have us believe. (long nosed old hag riding a broom stick who eats children) Hahahaha As I am a newbie I started studying herbalism and all about Gods first. But I’m looking forward to learning the more in depth branches of witchcraft. If you got any tips and tricks for this noob, do message me! I’d also appreciate any links, articles, books, or whatever that you would recommend I read or take a look at so I can learn more about Paganism and witchcraft. TIA!

15 Likes

Welcome!! I’m Christina I’m from New York. There’s a self initiation course that will help you with all you need to know!!!

See you around!!! :hugs:
Blessed be :pray:

10 Likes

Hello Kylie, merry meet! Welcome to the world of Paganism! I personally feel that witchcraft and Wicca are not the same thing, although the practice of witchcraft is an important part of most Wiccan systems. There is sooo much to learn! The learning never ends! So the best thing in my opinion is to take your time, follow your heart and enjoy the learning process. There are many types of witches. Congratulations on joining Spells8!

10 Likes

Hello again Christina! :smiley: I’ve been seeing this but I haven’t started. Thought I should know more about Wicca first before I get initiated but will surely start soon enough. Hiiiighly appreciated! Thanks! <3

7 Likes

Hello there! Thank you! I’ve found that my journey to Paganism would be more enlightening here at Spells8. I know right! First day of researching it was so information overload that I don’t think my head could still absorb it. Hahaha But everyday I get to learn something new and I get even more interested. And I do enjoy it! Thank you! <3 :smiley:

8 Likes

Magic has been around since the beginning of time.

1. Magic is real (metal into gold? Ain’t happening, just wistful thinking).
  2. Medicine and magic were once considered the same thing.
  3. magic was demonized by religious zealots in an attempt to wipe it out. Why? It was considered pagan and therefor bad.
  4. The early Pope’s were brilliant. They took pagan holidays and made them their own to help smooth the transition to Christianity.
  5. Forced conversion. The early church began a campaign to convert everyone to their beliefs by torture or death.
  6. Not all of the Christians were the perpetrators of these crimes. the
    Templar knights were persecuted by the French king Phillip for he had accrued huge debt by borrowing from the Knights (It was said that they had become great bankers)He recalled them to France to confiscated the riches brought back from the holy land. But much of the riches, whether faux or real never turned up in the amounts imagined.

History of the Knights Templar-From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ever wonder why Friday the 13th is a bad day superstition?
At dawn on Friday, October 13, 1307, scores of French Templars were simultaneously arrested by agents of King Philip, later to be tortured and or killed. Talk about a bad day.

9 Likes

@Garnet Cool Beans! I love a good trivia! Thanks! <3

6 Likes

Hi @KylieEy! I’m Amethyst from West Virginia here in the States. Nice to have you here! This is a great place to start learning. One thing you’ll find is that not all witches are Wiccans but most Wiccans are witches. There are Norse witches, Irish witches, even Christian witches so there’s a lot for you to learn.

A good book to start out with is an old one but a good one, Scott Cunningham’s Wicca, A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. As I said, it’s an old one so it’s got some outdated ideas and stuff but it’ll get you started.

You may find Wicca easiest to learn about first because most books out there are written from a Wiccan perspective, at least that I’ve found. It’s a good basis for you to start out from at the very least and when you find yourself comfortable you can branch out.

Did you see the Merry Meet Monday- Forum News post? It has what activities are going on and is a great way to get your feet wet by reading what’s going on and the different ways we meet the weekly challenges.

I hope you enjoy your time here at Spells8. I look forward to getting to know you!

9 Likes

Merry meet @KylieEy and welcome to the Infinite Roots Coven :infinite_roots:

Thanks for the wonderful introduction- I know that finding out that witches are real (and not at all like pop culture paints them out to be!) is quite a delightful surprise! :woman_mage: :sparkles:

It sounds like you have a passion for learning and are exploring many exciting aspects of witchcraft- good for you! Feel free to jump in to the various discussions in the forum and you will be sure to meet practitioners from many different traditions :books:

Many of us here choose to be Eclectic Witches (myself included!)- meaning that we draw on many various schools of thought and different traditions. There is so much wonderful knowledge out there, and you do not have to commit yourself to just one branch if you so chose :blush:

It’s a pleasure to meet you and I look forward to chatting with you more soon- Blessed be! :sparkles:

8 Likes

I Kylie,
Merry Meet
My name is Jeannie and I have working with witchcraft for a little while and I am a baby witch myself! I am always learning still.
I am from Sacramento and I have two grown boys!

Yes pop culture has been putting a lot of stereotypes about witches and its to bad for them that they are missing out!

My favorite thing about Wicca is the Sabbats and we have a Sabbat Aug1
List of Pagan Holidays 2021 & Printable Wiccan Calendar
My favorite thing about Wicca is the Sabbats
How to Celebrate Lughnasadh Alone (the 1st Harvest Sabbat!) :bread:
Lúnasa - A Brief History of the First Harvest
I love setting up my alter Kylie because I am able to get closer to (diety) the god and goddess!
You can learn about wicca tools
Altars! Love to see yours!
anyway my favorite thing is setting up my alter and going to my diety and doing spells!
Love and Light
I hope this helps
Blessed Be! :heart: :candle:
Jeannie

9 Likes

Well said, Amethyst.

6 Likes

Thank you!

6 Likes

Welcome @KylieEy! I’m Jessica from Texas. I’m a novice witch but have been intrigued for most my life. My mother converted from Roman Catholic to Wiccan when I was a young teenager and this started my own questioning. But, being the teenager I was, I refused to go the pagan path. I finally recognized my path and now identify as an eclectic witch, pulling from Wicca, Hellenistic paganism (think ancient Greek beliefs), and Celtic paganism mostly.

Everyone has already mentioned great sources. I second the recommendation of Cunningham’s Guide for the Solitary Practitioner. Since you mentioned herbalism, I highly recommend his Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (Llewellyn’s Sourcebook Series) (Cunningham’s Encyclopedia Series, 1)

One thing I want to say is be cautious about what you see/hear on the internet about witchcraft. Take everything you read or see and do further research, don’t assume it is true. Then make what you will of it.

9 Likes

Hello @KylieEy , I’m Pedro from Puerto Rico :puerto_rico:.
Welcome to The Infinite Root Coven!
Blessings!

9 Likes

Hi Amethyst! :hugs: Thank you so much for replying! I appreciate it. <3 This “One thing you’ll find is that not all witches are Wiccans but most Wiccans are witches.” is a good fact. When I first read about witchcraft and Wicca, I thought they were all witches. Hahahaha

I will surely check out that book. I’ve also been checking out the coven activities and weekly challenges. I’ve also been enjoying Spells8 and how the people here have been very welcoming and all! In fact I really can’t wait to discover and learn more that’s why the recommendation, information, and trivias I get are quite helpful. I look forward to getting to know you more too! Thanks again! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

5 Likes

It is indeed a delightful discovery! And I am very much passionate about all of the things I’ve been unveiling so far. The discussions here at the forum are quite helpful with my studying. And I’ve grown rather fond of the people’s enthusiasm here. Not one thing I’ve posted has been ignored. I get a lot of good insights too! <3 It’s a pleasure to meet you too and I’m also looking forward! Thanks! :hugs: :smiley:

5 Likes

Hi Jeannie! That’s awesome! So far I’m still learning about all the festivities and holidays in the Wiccan Calendar! But I love full moons! :full_moon_with_face: I have not yet set up my Altar but I surely will soon! I’m still gathering my tools and doing more research. But I think it’s gonna be my favorite too! Thank you for replying! :heart:

Blessed be! :hugs: :smiley:

5 Likes

Hello Jessica! That’s nice! At least you have a family member that’s also a Wiccan. That must be more enlightening. Lucky you unlike me whose family is all Christians. Thank you for the recommendations. I will surely look into it! :smiley: I find myself more drawn into Herbalism these days.

I’m really being cautious because I don’t wanna tap into magicks unbeknownst to me. I find that quite scary or maybe cast spells with great consequences. Hahahah (nervous laughs) When I find something on the internet I try to look into other sources to confirm all the information I’ve just read. But I will always keep that in mind! Thank you again! :hugs: :smiley: :heart:

6 Likes

Hello Pedro! Thank you so much! :hugs: :smiley:

Blessed be! :heart:

6 Likes

Absolutely! I’m glad to hear that you are cautious! I understand the pain with being surrounded by Christians only though as I live in the South USA. Mod everyone I know is Southern Baptist, which is really conservative. I’ve only come out of the broom closet to a select group of friends and family. My extend family is Irish Catholic.

7 Likes