Last question of the day. Promise

Can you name the great apes?
What is the largest monkey

6 Likes

I canā€™t decide between silverback gorillas or humans.

6 Likes

LOL I had to google it. Itā€™s a good question!

• Great Ape 1: Gorilla
  • Great Ape 2: Chimpanzee
  • Great Ape 3: Orangutan
  • Great Ape 4: Bonobo
  • Great Ape 5 : Human

6 Likes

I canā€™t name all of the Apes but the biggest monkey is a Mandrill :grin: Apes and Monkeys are different animals :heart:

6 Likes

Iā€™m sorry that I didnā€™t differnenciate between greater or lesser apes, but while researching the subject of Apes, I was really rather astounded by what I learned.

And how much more complacated the subject turned out to be.

Did you know that there are 5 different types of apes (6 if we include humans ? Who are everywhere.)

Apes are animals native to Africa and Southeast Asia. They are tailless animals, which differentiates them from monkeys. They primarily eat plant foods, which mainly include fruits. Except for humans, all other apes are endangered species, decreasing in the wild population, with each year passed.

1 The Gorilla

There are two species of gorilla: eastern and western. The mountain gorilla is a sub-species of the eastern gorilla AKA: the lowland gorillaā€¦

Mountain gorillas are endangered - there are an estimated 1,063 in the wild according to the latest census results (which come out every 5-10 years).

2, the Orangutan
Orangutans are members of the great apesā€™ group, as well. They live in Indonesia and Malaysia, however, they were originally found in the rainforest of Borneo and Sumatra. There are three types of orangutans: the Sumatran orangutan, the Bornean orangutan, and the Tapanuli orangutan (recently discovered in 2017).

All three species of orangutans are endangered, the Tapanuli orangutan being the most affected. Itā€™s estimated that there are less than 800 Tapanuli orangutans left in the wild.

3. Bonobo

Bonobos and chimpanzees are often seen as one species, commonly called chimps, mainly because of their similar appearance. However, the Bonobo apes are not a subspecies of the chimpanzees.

They are distinct species of their own, first recognized in 1928 by Ernst Schwartz.

They are on the list of endangered species of animals. Their population in the wild ranges from 30,000 to 50,000 individuals.

4. Chimpanzee

Chimpanzees are found in tropical Africa, where they inhabit forests and savannahs.

There are 4 subspecies of chimpanzees: the Central chimpanzee, the Western chimpanzee, the Nigeria-Cameroon chimpanzee, and the Eastern chimpanzee.

Chimpanzees have a characteristic appearance, body covered in coarse black hair with a bare face. Their toes, fingers, and soles are also body parts that arenā€™t cover in coarse black hair.

Chimpanzees are on the list of endangered animals. In the wild, there are approximately 200,000 individuals chimpanzees.

The last ape was a real surprise to me.

5. Gibbons

Gibbons are lesser apes and differ from the great apes several in characteristics.

Compared to great apes (gorilla, bonobo, orangutan, and chimpanzee), they are smaller, they donā€™t make nests, and they have lower sexual dimorphism. In addition, gibbons form long-term pair bonds, unlike the great apes.

These small apes are native to Bangladesh, India, China, and Indonesia, where they inhabit subtropical and tropical rainforests.

They are known as the fastest non-flying mammals, reaching speeds as high as 55 km/h. Gibbons can also make jumps from one to another tree, within a distance up to 8 m (26 ft).

Most of the subspecies of gibbons are on the list of endangered animals, the reason being losing their natural habitats.

The largest monkey?

Mandrill baboon is the largest monkey in the world. It is not only the biggest but also the tallest monkey as well with a shoulder height of over 50 cm. According to its weight measurement, it is also the heaviest monkey in the world with an average weight of over 50 kg.

6 Likes

oh no dont be sorry :heartpulse: I was just excited that I knew that fact :grinning: my friend told me about the difference between them a few months ago now (she loves animal documentaries) and I remembered it :heartpulse: Orangutans are my favourite out of the apes :heartpulse: Thank you :heartpulse:

5 Likes

Everyone has been fun and gracious answering my questions, Thanks

4 Likes

Iā€™m sorry that I missed this one! Youā€™re welcome, it was a fun activity to answer the questions you had. Talk to you soon!

3 Likes