Magnesium for muscle cramps

Basil: Never made Borscht. Does it actually taste like beets?
Retiring in Florida, I’ve learned a few simple and uncomfortable facts.
It’s always sunny, sticky and humid, even when it isn’t raining, and is remarkably HOT. Because of the heat, sometimes you can get what Americans call a ‘Charlie Horse’.
Have you ever tried magnesium oil for your ‘crumps/cramps’?
It can help you sleep and also helps reduce cramps in muscles.
Although it’s called an oil, it is a mix of magnesium and other trace minerals in water, but it does feel like an oil. Just spray it on.
Another thing I learned in Fla is that dehydration can cause migraines.
I kept getting awful headaches when I moved here. I treated like a migraine until one day I was going somewhere with my bro-in-law. He asked me to wait on my migraine med (it made me mentally dull.) And handed me a bottle of water. After finishing the water, I swear, it stopped the migraine,[the bane of my existence at the time,]. And I didn’t have to walk like the living dead for 24hrs.

4 Likes

@Garnet
I use magnesium tablets and oil, for diabetes and my skin.
Been told that magnesium is better absorbed when rubbed on skin.
It’s one of those things that seems to work in the background.

A tip to know if you’re dehydrating: get your fingernail pressing a line along your arm skin or hand. If the white mark left takes awhile to disappear, you’re well on your way to dehydrating.
Drink glasses of water even when you don’t feel thirsty, sipping is better.
Use at night any oil, I found linseed , restores my skin.
When I feel burning I apply it.
At hour age we need to look after our skin.
Get your husband to rub you all over, I good massage makes wonders…and well…who knows.
We shouldn’t have to pay for private massage when we have the real deal at home.
My partner is about minutes rubbing and that’s it. He could open a massage parlour and make a mint!
In my wild days had been rubbed by men and women that knew how to use their hands. Felt like a rugg afterwards :face_with_hand_over_mouth:.
There’s an excellent British sitcom: gimme,gimme,gimme.
Linda Lahious( the fantastic “Cathy Burke”), a backward ginger shares a flat with her gayman flatmate.
She won’t miss an opportunity to get a free shagg.
At somepoint in the conversation, he says to her, I’m gay…,.!
And she replies: there’s not such thing as being gay, it’s just lazyness​:joy::rofl::face_with_hand_over_mouth:
My partner(Virgo) says if you wanna touch me, wash your hands first.
The things I have to put up with!!!:rofl::joy:

3 Likes

@Garnet
Borscht tastes like sweet and sour.
They usually buy beetroot juice (quick version), hit it up and add sourdough bread croutons( you can make small dumplings).
They usually add sour cream or yogurt, making a swirl on the surface and looks pretty.
It breaks the beetroot sweetness.
White on red and some floating dumplings.
It looks great and pretty nutritional.
My version:
Make broth, bake beetroot wrapped in foil with a bit of fat smeared on them( you can bake lots of root vegetables and add the beetroot later to the broth). Use bay leaves, rosemary, black pepper…after all is Christmas, right?
Get the beetroot in a blender or juice it, add liquid to make a light soup.
Serve it with croutons and cream.
You can boil the beetroot or steam it. Y prefer Steamed for taste.
If you think is too sweet, add more broth or water. Bon apettit!
Don’t forget the vodka, bottoms up!

3 Likes

I live in south Florida and over the last 6 or 7 years I’ve had horrible cramping in my extremities. It usually comes in waves, where I may experience it for a week or two then not at all for a month. It usually happens around the calf/ankle/foot area and it will not release while twisting my muscles. Ugh!! I hate it. I take a magnesium pill daily. Also gatorade/Powerade drinks before bedtime really cut down the cramping for me too. I don’t know if what I experience is just muscle cramps more than some kind of miners deficiency (my body is pretty much always angry at me and my bloodwork is always off :slightly_frowning_face: ) I do think it helps a lot! I hope you get some relief :heart:

5 Likes

@robin77
My opinion?
Something good and something not so good.
Magnesium is good, you can increase dose without side effects, talk to your doctor.
Sugary drinks, up to you, like throwing money down the drain and health too?.
White sugar steals from you, gives nothing.
Got choices: molasses honey, dried dates, fruit…!
Got type 1 diabetes, that says it all.
Reduce gradually you sugar intake.
Check your sodium levels.
Cramps usually means lack of minerals or something else.
Love yourself and your body will love you back.:sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

I also know (from experience) that low Magnesium levels can lead to a serious migraine. They ran my levels at the ER once & immediately I was given Magnesium through an IV. I felt much better before they were even done administering it to me! Now I keep some in my medicine lock box, just in case. If I should get a migraine I take 1 of them before I take my migraine medication to see if I should just take it easy, hydrate, & increase my magnesium intake for a few days.

4 Likes

Definite mineral deficiency! I can’t tell if it’s the potassium, magnesium or sodium I need. Or all 3! I am on medication that depletes me of potassium so I assumed it was that at first. Amped up potassium rich foods with the exception of bananas (allergic). I need to find the right balance. Some things work while others don’t seem to help. Or maybe I’m not giving them a long enough chance to see the benefit?

With gatorade/powerade I HAVE to do sugar free. Still not great, but the regular versions are too much for me. Some other not-so-great foods that I’ll grab out of desperation, like cheap ramen packets, oddly help too. I do those less often because it takes longer to make and when I’m in pain. It’s weird and the docs haven’t figured it out yet. But within all the meds I’m taking, I’m sure the deficiency is some kind of side effect. But I need more of sodium, potassium and magnesium - 1 of the 3! Or all 3!! Thank you for the tips! I’ll keep trying some better solutions! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@robin77
I was gonna mentiom sugar free…
I hear you and I know is frustrating, doctors think they know it all, but not always the case. Each individual is different. With diabetes they prescribed glucose tablets to control hypos.
Aside from side effects, creates a vicious circle. I told the doctors I was eating dried dates instead.
They hit the walls. No, too much sugar, blah,blah,blah.
Dried dates have minerals and natural sugars, is a win-win. I only need 3.
With glucose I’ve Lost count how many tablets took and have to inject after to remove the sugar.
They use these sugar substitutes because they are very cheap and have long life.
Get a dairy and gradually make some changes. In the long run you will feel an improvement.
Take supplements and minerals. When the body is in distress, most of the food is wasted. Supplements and minerals are a backup. I’ve been 7 years diabetic. The last year have been a revelation.
Keep fighting, Don’t give up and you’ll get better. Have faith in yourself.:sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Thank you! I will definitely take heed to your advice. I will keep you posted and I wish you continued health as well. Thank you thank you!

2 Likes

@robin77
It’s nothing, we our here to help each other :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Oh, it sounds good, but Rich would rather kiss a snake than eat beets. Some kids can be so picky.
Magnesium?
Dear Mr.B you are very knowledgeable about your body and that’s the biggest step in managing Diabetes.

3 Likes

@Garnet
Wasn’t Socrates who said: “All I know is, I know nothing”.
As a Taurus I can be excessive and been labeled as a bit of a perfectionist.

You know, in China, calling a woman a snake, means she’s beautiful?

Like Taj Mahal, I’m a temple of love🤣
56 years to build it, so far!

I just read what caches my eye, feeds my imagination and nurtures my soul.

Beetroot:

Magnesium: 6% of the RDI. Potassium: 9% of the RDI. Phosphorous: 4% of the RDI. Manganese: 16% of the RDI.

Thank you

3 Likes