Mala Magik Incorporating Yogic Tradition

You may have heard about using malas before.

They are basically an intentional meditation necklace or directly translated from Sanskrit, meditation garland (which I’ll describe more about later).

But I got started thinking (and that’s when all the wisdom of your intuition floods in right?) about the innate power, you generate while working with them let alone wearing them on you.

You are basically carrying the energy of your intentional practice with you throughout the day and continuing to harmonize with it. If you practice every day you even recharge these intentions and amplify them.

images
Image Credit: Yoga Journal

Little History of The Mala

As much as the roots of Japa meditation come from the practices of Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, and yoga we can tailor this practice to amplify our intentions and bring something forth into manifestation.

First, what is Japa meditation and what is a mala?

Typically a mala is created out of 108 beads. This is no random number and is quite intentional for many reasons.

First of all, it unites the Sun and the Moon to the Earth. This is because the average distance of the Sun to the Earth is **108 times ** its diameter. The same goes for the diameter of the Moon to the Earth as well.

Within the Sanskrit language, there are 54 letters each having a feminine and masculine form. Therefore totaling to 108 as well.

You can also break down the symbolism behind each of the numbers 108 such as 1 being the higher power, 0 being the sacred void, and 8 representing infinity.

The garland is traditionally made out of organic materials such as seeds, crystals, wood, but most traditionally Rudraksha and Bodhi seeds. You can see mala beads now made with specific crystals that can help support a certain intention you want to bring into your life or attune yourself to.

The traditional practice of Japamala meditation is to recite a mantra with each bead in your hand. Some malas are made out of 109 beads which includes a bead at the bottom called the “guru” bead. Here you would set the intention for you practice and not count it in your mantra repetitions.

If you are a visual learner, here you can find a video, to explain more about working with mala meditation in the traditional sense.

Otherwise… the mantras you would repeat depend on what energy you want to focus on or attune yourself to embody by placing your deep focus on it. Learn about the Siri Gaitri Mantra here.

Modern Witch Mala Practice

:sunny:This is the part where I started realizing how much more I can customize Japa meditation to support my individual path and manifestation work. Think about it, when you cast a spell it is such an intimate practice.

I couldn’t picture anything more intimate than carrying around the vessel used to bring forth my intentions in my energy field all day. The beautiful practice of spell casting and intention setting is how it empowers you to use your intuition and make the customizations you resonate with to command something into your physical reality.

The practice is to use your mala as a surrogate or vessel to anchor in the energy you are looking to manifest or call in. Whether this is opening your heart or calling in a dream job, the mala can become attuned to the energy of this. Therefore by holding it in your energy field you continue to harmonize and connect to it all day.

Image Credit: Meandannabelle

1. Charge Your Mala Overnight

You can incorporate placing your mala on your altar at night intentionally for it to soak in a specific energy that you will carry the next day.

If you want some ideas you can use:

You can do this by setting the intention to fill the mala with the energy of the spell so you can attune to it throughout the day. Consider incorporating certain crystals, sprinkling different herbs on your mala, using your voice to cast a spell it will exude around you, and lighting specific candles while your mala charges up.

2. Modern Witch Japa Meditation

For this practice start at the guru bead or bottom of the mala. You will open sacred space and set the intention for everything to align for your best possible outcome and then you can practice two different ways.

First way involves visualization. Hold all of the mala beads between your two hands. Sit in a comfortable position and visualize a situation you would like to manifest, a version of you you’d like to embody, or a feeling you want to feel.

Incorporate as many senses as you can in the visualization. How does it smells where you are? Any physical sensations? Don’t rush soak into it. Focus on letting the emotions build up inside you and as they fill your body, your mala becomes filled as well.

If you find yourself visualizing a scene and you become distracted repeat the visualization until you can see and feel it all the way through. Take your time here.

Whenever you are ready to close the practice circle your fingers around the mala from the guru bead all the way back to the guru bead on the other side and hold it in your fingers filling yourself and the mala with gratitude for this manifestation being your reality.

I suggest performing this once and then trusting the process to manifest for your highest good in divine timing. When you obsessively repeat practices typically this is done from a place of fear that it won’t manifest rather than embodying the knowing that it will.

Second practice is work with affirmations that you want to embody like a mantra. After setting your intention on the guru bead hold each bead in your finger and speak an affirmation into it either mentally or aloud.

You can pick the affirmations intuitively and call forth the you that you wish to embody or stick to one in particular. Another option is to repeat a short spell in each bead which as you can imagine will supercharge the mala.

Once you return to the guru bead close your practice with gratitude and picture the energy of your words flowing and circulating throughout the mala. Then once you wear it you will continue to attune to this energy. This can be a daily practice too if you choose to do so,

Affirmation ideas:

• Abundance comes to me easily
  • I am a powerful creatrix/creator who is living their most satisfying reality
  • I am love
  • I am blessed enough to create work that is deeply meaningful to me and financially blesses me
  • I attract all the manifestations of love

I hope you enjoy this practice!

I am curious, have you worked with malas before?

Is there any part of this that you already see yourself customizing to fit your own intuition or spells?

:first_quarter_moon_with_face: I Wish You Blessed Creating :last_quarter_moon_with_face:

11 Likes

Thank you for all the wonderful information :slight_smile: I have not worked with malas yet. It is a possibility. I think I haven’t worked with them bc I had no idea what to do with them.

4 Likes

I use to work with mala beads when I took yoga classes here at a local studio (pre-covid)
We would chant Om Gam Ganapataye Namah It was a chant for Ganesha

This is Sanskrit which loosely translates to “salutations to the remover of obstacles.”

I find myself chanting this a lot even when I am doing mundane things and I feel a panic attack coming on. It has been a very helpful took in keeping me grounded.

5 Likes

Thanks @jordyn for this useful visualization technique and the valuable insight!

I loved this! I get the feeling that I should cast a spell again (re-cast it) or reinforce it with some sort of post-ritual. But most of the time it’s just anxiety that is making me obsess about it. Great suggestion!!

5 Likes

This is wonderful- so much helpful information about malas! :prayer_beads::two_hearts:

I saw malas a lot during my time in Asia- there always seemed to be so many different types, with beautiful colors, carvings, and elegant tassels. I found them interesting, but I still haven’t used one in practice. Although ever since @sarah9 shared her guide on how to make mala beads, they’ve been in my thoughts!

I love this :pray: One of my challenges with meditating (and all the time, honestly :laughing:) is with focus. I think using mala beads to help ground and anchor you to your intent is a fantstic practice. I really think having something physical to hold while meditating would help to keep any anxious thoughts tethered and less distracting :+1:

Thank you so much for sharing, @jordyn! I really enjoyed learning more about Mala Magick :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

I really like this and would like to look further into it. Thank you for sharing! I’m going to start researching it this evening. Im hoping it can help witb my anxiety which manifests not only as panic but other conditions physically and with my mental health.

3 Likes

I truly agree about the aspect of physical touch you mentioned here:

In my experience, most of us who are awakened and who work with energy consciously tend to be very in the celestial channels and having a connection back to earth with the physical world while meditating can really ground me into and well remind me what it feels like to be in a physical body.

1 Like

May I recommend considering incorporating crystals that help feel calming, supportive, and grounding to you in a mala. You can of course make your own or purchase one, but since you have an intention with what you want to work with you could get a mala that is naturally (as in before you even start working with it) helping to soothe you.

The crystals that help me with anxiety:

1. Black Tourmaline
  2. Rose Quartz
  3. Amethyst
  4. Labradorite
  5. Jade

Of course, different crystals can work with everyone differently so use your own intuition on what would work with you best :heart:

3 Likes

@jordyn thank you! The only ones that I don’t have is jade, but I can make an anxiety bag to keep with me using the other ones. My anxiety is really out of control at times. I had made a depression bag before and that was wonderful. I will try this one today.

Thank you so much :heavy_heart_exclamation: :heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I had a dear friend share this with me today and it really stuck with me so I thought I’d share:

“Anxiety is such a special little friend. It’s so interesting how everything can be actually great and my mind finds something to worry about. I see you, anxiety. Thank you for trying to keep me safe- but I am good. I am safe. Everything is good.”

This gave me a little help and support today in the times I noticed my mind worrying and trying to solve problems… by mentally creating some. Love the self love your tapping into with an anxiety bag.

2 Likes

@jordyn do you mind if I write that down to keep with me until I memorize it? I started saying I’m okay to myself but that seems much more personal to say to myself or out loud. Thank you!

1 Like

This is beautiful, @jordyn! Thank you to you (and your friend) for sharing these uplifting words :two_hearts:. This is a great way to frame anxiety positively and also to invite some gratitude (and all the good energy appreciation brings) in your day. I love it! :sparkling_heart::pray:

2 Likes

I am interested in working with mala beads, would you be able to recommend where I should look for some? Or if I am able to make my own @jordyn?

There was a guide on how to make mala beads posted here:

Although I’m not sure about a good, reputable shop to buy them from online- anyone have a recommended shop to buy good mala beads? :prayer_beads:

1 Like

The Tibetan Nuns Project sells them! :prayer_beads: It’s a nonprofit organization established under the auspices of the Tibetan Women’s Association and the Department of Religion and Culture of H. H. the Dalai Lama and is dedicated to educating and supporting nuns in India from all Tibetan Buddhist lineages.

Their shop sells them, I bought the rosewood ones.

2 Likes

I’ve heard of the Tibetan Nuns Project!!! They’re a great group- I follow them and also the Kung Fu Nuns in Nepal (although I don’t think they have an online shop like TNP- so stick with them for the mala beads! :prayer_beads: ). Both groups do amazing work to help support women and their local communities. There is a lot of talk about leaving behind the web of negativity in the content we support- both of these groups are great positive influences! I think I’ll be browsing the TNP online shop as well- they have many beautiful things and the holiday gift giving season is coming up astounding fast! :gift::laughing:

2 Likes

OH this is wonderful, I’m looking forward to making them, but my hands and fine motor skills lately are not friends. I was thinking that making them could be an art project for my daughter and I during her remote learning.

I will definitely check out the shop though, because I have had to put my crafting on hold lately. Which is a shame because this is when I start making things for the holiday craft and street fairs.

2 Likes

It’s a wonderful idea for an art project!! I would say do it!

Lyssa made mala beads for the New Moon!: New moon mala beads

2 Likes

It’s definitely on my list of things to do with her for an art project. She likes to do things that we can do together. We did scrapbooks 2 summers ago! She’s a crafty little thing.

1 Like