Ā¾ cup pure maple syrup
1 Ā½ cups powdered sugar
1 - 2 tablespoon milk
ā…“ cup granulated sugar
Ā½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
ā…” cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted

Directions:

Step 1

In a large bowl combine 2 cups of the flour, the cocoa powder, and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and whisk together the next five ingredients (through salt) just until warm (120Ā°F to 130Ā°F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add the egg. Beat with a mixer on low 30 seconds, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on high 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

Step 2

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn to grease surface of the dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).

Step 3

While the dough is rising, in a medium saucepan bring heavy cream to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, 12 to 14 minutes or until reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 Tbsp. butter. Cool 10 minutes. Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup maple syrup. For the icing, remove 3 Tbsp. of the syrup mixture to a small bowl; stir in powdered sugar and enough milk to make a thick drizzling consistency; cover and set aside.

Step 4

Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into quarters. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Generously grease a 10-inch fluted tube pan.

Step 5

Roll each piece of dough into a rope about 20 inches long. Cut ropes into 1-inch pieces. Roll each piece in sugar-cinnamon mixture. Spoon half of the remaining cooled syrup mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle with almonds. Arrange half the dough pieces in pan on top of almonds. Sprinkle with half of the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture. Drizzle the remaining syrup mixture over dough pieces in the pan. Arrange remaining dough pieces in the pan. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (30 to 45 minutes).

Step 6

Preheat oven to 350Ā°F. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers between 190Ā°F to 200Ā°F. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Loosen sides and center with a thin metal spatula or table knife. Invert onto a serving platter. Spoon any syrup and nuts that remain in the pan over bread. Cool about 30 minutes. Drizzle with the maple icing before serving.

To Make Ahead:

After assembling pull-apart bread in a pan, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 8 to 24 hours. Before baking, remove the pan from the refrigerator and let stand, covered, 1 1/2 hours. Discard plastic wrap and bake at 350Ā° for 45 minutes.

Nutritional Facts:

Per Serving:
352 calories; fat 12g; cholesterol 40mg; saturated fat 6g; carbohydrates 56g; mono fat 4g; poly fat 1g; insoluble fiber 2g; sugars 29g; protein 6g; vitamin a 393.8IU; vitamin c 0.1mg; thiamin 0.3mg; riboflavin 0.6mg; niacin equivalents 2.3mg; folate 73.1mcg; vitamin b12 0.2mcg; sodium 197mg; potassium 194mg; calcium 80mg; iron 1.9mg.

Recipe courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens.

7 Likes

@Amethyst :heart_eyes:this one sounds amazing. Thanks for posting this

5 Likes

Youā€™re welcome, my dear! Glad you like it!

4 Likes

I can smell it now and I havenā€™t even started to make it! Yummmmm!!

5 Likes

Hee! I think it would smell delicious! With all that chocolate and maplem. MMmm!

Glad you liked it!

5 Likes

YUM!!! Sadly I could not eat it. But thank you for the share. :rofl: :wink:

4 Likes

Ohhhh you had me at maple! :yum: Iā€™d say thatā€™s a favorite fall flavor, but you can honestly find me chugging the maple syrup year-round :joy:

Another delicious recipe, @Amethyst- thanks for sharing! :heart:

3 Likes

I donā€™t wanna make it, I just wanna eat itā€¦all! :drooling_face:

5 Likes

Yeah, with my diabetes I couldnā€™t eat it either, but darn would that smell good baking! LOL!

Maple is a good fall flavor, but I think itā€™s freshly made in the spring when the sap starts running again. Not sure about that. Either way, itā€™s yummy. Glad you liked the recipe!

I just want to sit there and sniff it ā€¦ okay, and eat it all too, but mostly the smell must be amazing!

5 Likes

This could easily become diabetic friendly!
Almond flour
Make a alternate maple syrup or honey if you can tolerate it. But Iā€™d mix maple flavor with stevia and a bit of water then boil down to syrup thickness.

There is also a sugar free powdered sugar you can get.

I used to cook this way when I was vegetarian and trying to knock the calories down.
Definitely not the same but it works well. It was still sweet and yummy!

3 Likes

My problem is Iā€™m allergic to Splenda and stevia both. Something about the sugar alcohols? Eh, I canā€™t stand anything but real sugar. So either Iā€™m good or Iā€™m very, very bad. LOL.

3 Likes

Youā€™re right- I remember them tapping trees in New England in the spring! I wonder if thereā€™s a fall run too, or if itā€™s just in the spring? Either way- Iā€™m glad they sell it year-round! :grin::two_hearts: :pancakes:

Thanks again, Amethyst! :heart:

2 Likes