Let’s talk about Human Design. Before getting into the chart itself, I feel it’s necessary to first cover exactly how the Human Design System functions.
The Human Design system brings together the ancient systems of Astrology, the I Ching, the Chakras, and the Tree of Life with Quantum Mechanics, Astronomy, Genetics, and Biochemistry.
Here’s where we get into a little bit of science. Bear with me because this is very important to know. So, before The Big Bang, everything with mass existed in one single particle, and that particle was smaller than an atom. Something ignited this speck, and the resulting explosion caused the universe to begin to expand. As it expanded, everything that existed separated into two groups, creating a duality between quarks and leptons, or a Yin family and a Yang family.
- · Quarks are the smallest known building blocks of matter and are usually found in combinations.
- · There are six base quarks labeled: up, down, strange, charm, beauty, and truth.
- · The two named up and down gather together and form the proton and the neutron of an atom.
- · Protons carry a positive electric charge, while neutrons are electrically neutral elementary particles.
The Yang family is considered to be pure energy/light. This family is called leptons.
- · There are six leptons as well: three different types of electrons and three different types of neutrinos.
- · Electrons are negatively charged particles.
- · When an electron, a proton and a neutron come together, they form an atom.
Scientists say if we add everything together that we know mass, everything in the universe, including ourselves, it represents less than 1/10 of the whole universe. The space in between everything else is made-up of things like dark matter and dark energy.
This is where we have to talk about neutrinos.
- · The largest of the neutrinos, which are barely detectable, have an infinitesimal amount of mass: about one millionth the weight of 1 proton.
- · Having mass allows neutrinos to carry information, but they’re still small enough to pass through any atomic barrier.
- · The neutrinos are referred to as the breath of the stars, the exhaled energy of stellar fusion.
- · There are more neutrinos than anything else in the universe. 3 trillion neutrinos and the information they carry pass through every square inch of the planet and our bodies every second.
- · The sun produces about 70% of all the neutrinos the travel through our solar system. The other 30% are emitted by other stars in our Milky Way Galaxy, and a small percent come from the planet Jupiter.
- · Neutrinos can be regarded as the same thing as chi or prana. They penetrate us with bits of information constantly as we live in a vast continuous information field.
Human design sees The Big Bang as just a conception of our universe, not its actual birth. So, this infers that our entire universe is just a single living entity, like a fetus not yet born, but still expanding and moving toward birth.
Per Human Design, in the beginning, there was a Yin egg and a Yang seed, and they came together during The Big Bang, and they shattered into an infinite number of crystalline aspects throughout the universe. And each aspect has its own consciousness of its original Yin or Yang orientation. Everything, and I mean everything on this planet, even the inanimate stuff is endowed with crystals of consciousness.
In humans, the Personality Crystal of Consciousness is an aspect of the original Yang seed. It sits right above your head, just above your scalp, in the head center where the crown chakra is. This crystal manifests what you identify with as yourself. It’s called the Passenger. In the human Ajna Center, or third eye, the Design Crystal of Consciousness manifests the biogenetics of your body. It is referred to as the Vehicle.
There is a magnetic monopole in the human body. Monopoles are particles that carry a single magnetic attraction, either a north or a South Pole. The Human Magnetic Monopole is located in the sternum area known as the G Center in Human Design, where the solar plexus chakra is.
- · The first thing this monopole does is hold everything together in an illusion of separateness. It holds the Personality Crystal and the Design Crystal together.
- · The other thing the monopole does is connect us to our movement in time through space and guides us along our path of our geometry in life. We know this is our destiny.
The relationship between these two crystals is compared to a backseat passenger: your Personality Crystal is riding in the Vehicle of your Design Crystal which is driven by your Magnetic Monopole.
The Personality Crystal or who you think you are, is not the Vehicle or the Driver. It has no idea where to go or how to get there. It’s simply the Passenger. And it’s a passenger that is intended to be quiet and relaxed, and watch the scenery go by instead of fighting with the Driver for control of the Vehicle. The goal of the Human Design System is to make the Passenger comfortable in the back seat of the Vehicle so they can enjoy the ride provided by the Driver.
Human design states that when we moved into the Uranian era in 1781, human beings evolved from a 7-centered mind-oriented being into a highly involved 9-centered form. This is why human design has nine energy centers instead of seven.
Human design also uses two birth dates instead of 1 for calculations. While it does use your actual date of birth and time, it also includes a date approximately 3 months before your birth. The date before your birth determines your Design, and the date of your birth determines your Personality or earthly conditioning.
The concept of human design is based on the neutrinos involved. This is really important because it applies to astrology as well.
· According to human design, whatever neutrinos were passing through the earth from the various stars, planets, sun, and moon at the time of your birth influence who you are and what your life will be.
The Human design chart itself is called the Rave Mandala, and it’s a synthesis of the four ancient esoteric systems with modern science.
- · The outer wheel is called the I Ching wheel, it is comprised of the hexagrams of the I Ching and the wheel corresponds with the 64 gates of the body graph and the 64 lines of the I Ching, as well as the 64 codons of human DNA.
- · The next wheel inwards is the astrological wheel and this aligns the planetary positions with the hexagrams of the I Ching.
- · In between the I Ching wheel and the astrological wheel is a wheel of numbers referred to as Gates.
- o There are 36 channels from the Kabballah that run between these gates on the actual BodyGraph or chart.
- o Within these wheels is an upside-down tree of life.
- o On that tree of life are placed the nine energy centers and the 64 gates that correlate to the I Ching and the codons of human DNA.
First, let’s talk about the astrology ring of the Rave Mandala. It is the basic 360-degree circle with the 12 signs of the Western Zodiac we’re all familiar with. The human design system uses this to calculate and record the two precise moments in time and space within the system. As I previously mentioned the first is your exact time of birth and the second is 88 degrees of solar arc or 3 months prior to your birth and it represents your design data.
So, when all these neutrinos pass through the planet, there’s a communication interacting between their mass and the objects they pass through. Like if a neutrino stream goes through Venus, it communicates with Venus and an exchange takes place, and then after it’s filtered through Venus, it goes through humans and then there’s another exchange with the humans it passes through.
Human design uses the analogy of a fender-bender where each car leaves the scene of the accident with a bit of paint on it from the other car. This is how each planet contributes its essence in how we’re imprinted by the neutrino stream. And while we all exist in the same neutrino program, the way we each individually manifest that program is determined by our birth and our design date.
As I mentioned previously, the outer ring of the mandala is the I Ching ring.
- · It is composed of 64 hexagrams with six lines per hexagram
- · This correlates with the 64 codons of DNA, and the six groups of amino acids per codon.
- · There are 64 hexagrams, which makes a total of 384-line markers around the outer ring, and each line contains a little bit of information specific to its position in the hexagram.
- · Human genetic code consists of four chemical bases arranged in groups of threes, which is similar in organization to the trigrams of the hexagrams of the I Ching.
- · Each chemical grouping relates to an amino acid and that forms a codon.
- · There are 64 codons in our genetic code that match the 64 hexagrams in the I Ching.
- o They are translated onto the body graph as gates, which are used to thematically understand or interpret our genetic imprint and provide detail about our characteristics individually.
So, the relationship between the hexagram gates and the degrees is a little complicated.
- · The inner ring of the mandala, which is astrology, is used for calculation.
- · The outer ring, which is the I Ching, is used for interpretation.
- o Here’s where the demarcations come in. They are measured by or aligned with the 360-degrees of the inner ring.
- o Each hexagram covers a space-time of 5 degrees, 37 minutes, and 30 seconds of Arc.
I know that sounds really complicated because it is really complicated, but what it means is there is a place in space, that when a planet passes through, its information is exchanged via the neutrino system in that space.
At birth, we’re imprinted with the qualities of the specific hexagram for each specific planet in the chart. Very much like astrology, the information carried by the neutrino stream at that moment imprints us in this way for the rest of our life. This is how our body graph becomes our blueprint.
As I said before, there are nine Energy Centers instead of the traditional 7 Chakras, and each one has its own aspects. This was a complex internal reorganization, not just simply an addition of two extra energy centers. Each of the nine centers is an energy hub, and it has its own distinct biological correlations. They are as follows:
The Head Center (Crown Chakra)
- · Pineal gland
- · Inspiration
- · The pressure to translate existence.
The Ajna Center (3rd Eye Chakra)
- · Anterior and Posterior Pituitary
- · Mind
- · Cogitating
- · Mental Awareness over time
The Throat Center (Throat Chakra)
- · Thyroid and Parathyroid
- · Metabolism
- · Manifestation
- · Expression
G Center (Traditional Solar Plexus Chakra)
- · Liver
- · Blood
- · Self
- · Sense of direction and love
Sacral Center (Sacral Chakra)
- · Ovaries/Testes
- · Fertility
- · Sexual energy
- · The power to sustain activity
Root Center (Root Chakra)
- · Adrenal Glands
- · Kundalini
- · Pressure to move
- · The balance between fear and trust
Heart Center (lower right from the G Center)
- · A new energy center
- · Thymus
- · Stomach
- · Gall
- · Will and commitment
Spleen Center (directly left of the Sacral)
- · A new energy center
- · Lymphatic system
- · Immunity
- · Intuition
- · The process of physical awareness in the now
Solar Plexus Center
- · A new placement of the Solar Plexus Chakra
- · Kidney
- · Bladder
- · Pancreas
- · Emotions
- · The process of awareness in the energy wave
The Tree of life from the Kabbalah is used to create pathways that energetically connect the centers through the gates. Human design calls these pathways channels, and they create a living circuitry that unifies the body graph and directs the flow of energy.
These gates can be either Defined or Undefined, which we will get into in depth later, but for now you just need to know that it takes definition in both Gates at the ends of a channel to complete that channel.
- · A single individual can have both Gates Defined within themselves, or they can have only one Gate Defined and meet someone else with the other Gate Defined, who complete the channel.
- · A person with an Undefined Gate will always be attracted to a person who has the gate at the opposite end of that Channel defined. This is really one of the ways we’re supposed to meet and interact with other people in our lives. So, using the term “you complete me” means you really do feel complete electrically when with the other person.
If you have both gates defined, then the channel they are on is defined. Any of your fully Defined Channels become dominant features in your life, and Human Design refers to that as the life force. It is very important to have the exact time of birth. If you cannot find your exact time of birth, you can work with an astrologer who can take you through a process to determine your birth time as exactly as possible.
When reading your chart, you’ll notice that the lines are either black or red, or a combination of both.
- · Your Personality information is in the Black lines and represents what you have conscious access to, which means you know these things about yourself, and you can work with it.
- · Your Design information is in the Red lines and represents your unconscious self.
The information in Red is really important. This information shows you the nature of your unconscious and what’s going on below your level of consciousness. It also represents genetic inheritance and bloodline, like a theme from your mom and dad and grandparents. You cannot consciously access the information in red. You might get to know yourself and your unconscious self a little better with age or experience or reflection, but you can never control it.
If the channel is both black and red, it means that there are multiple planetary activations in that channel, in both your Personality and your Design. So those activations work consciously and unconsciously in your life experience. The most important take away from this is that the Personality is who you think you are, and the Design is how you are genetically programmed to move through time in space.
It’s also important to remember that the Personality thinks it’s in charge of life, while in fact it’s the Design and the Magnetic Monopole that are the ones in charge. Most of our conflicts and resistance in life stem from our personality trying to manage our life rather than assuming its proper role, which is to be the back seat passenger and just enjoy the ride.
In Human Design, there is heavy reference to the Authentic-Self and the Not-Self.
- · The Authentic Self is your true, pure, and natural behavioral nature designed to emerge without resistance. This can be expressed as our purpose, our reason for being here.
- · The Not-Self is conditioned programming that masks our Authentic Self.
- o This Not-Self can mutate into variations that create resistance.
- o As you become aware of the Not-Self through Strategy and Authority, you become aware of your Authentic-Self concealed behind the Not-Self.
The goal of Human Design is to reach awakening via a deconditioning process. This is a process of releasing what you are not. It is slow because it is a deep process. When using your Authority, you change how you make decisions to navigate life. When you do this, you change the way your cells function within your body. Since life moves in seven-year cycles, it takes approximately seven years for all of the cells in the body to be renewed. And just like in physical healing, as soon as we begin to make internal changes, we being to make external changes, and we decondition or ‘heal’ our design system to function without resistance.
I know this sounds like a long time, but as someone who just finished a seven-year cycle that started in a wheelchair and is ending with me doing yoga daily and swimming a few times a week…well, it’s definitely worth the effort.
The heavenly bodies used in the body graph are the same as used in astrology, but they carry a little difference in definition. They are as follows:
Sun – Personality Expression / Life Force
Earth – Grounding / Balance
Moon – Driving Force
North Node – Future Direction / Environment
South Node – Past Direction / Environment
Mercury – Communication / Thinking
Venus – Values / Sociology
Mars – Immaturity / Energy Dynamics
Jupiter – Law / Protection
Saturn – Discipline / The Judge / Restraint
Uranus – Unusualness / Chaos and Order / Science
Neptune – Illusion / Art / Spirituality
Pluto – Truth / Transformation / Psychology
There are much deeper explanations of each heavenly body, and we will discuss those in more detail later in this post discussion.
The Personality has no idea about the Design’s existence, so it’s really important to know how to access your form’s intelligence through Strategy and Authority of your rave mandala Human Design chart. The point here is that if you can learn to let your Personality (passenger) surrender itself to your Strategy and Authority, then your Personality and Design can live in harmony while still individually performing their roles. This is when you find your path. This is where the foundation for all love in your life emerges because it is also where your love of self resides. Without self-love, there is no love for others. But with self-love, you know who’s right for you every time.
I know this was a lot of science. But it’s necessary to understand it in order to grasp the entirety of the Human Design System. Next time, I will discuss the nine centers and how they function within the system.
If this doesn’t make any sense, please, please, please, bring it up in the comment section so I can address any confusion that I may have caused.
If anyone has further information that I have missed also please, please, please Bring it up in the comment section so I can learn more than I know now.
(All Images are from The Definitive Book of Human Design – Lynda Bunnell and Ra Uru Hu)