My Sewing Skills are Unexistent

Hello and welcome to all and in all honesty, I don’t know how to sew clothes or fabrics…never really had a chance to attempt it in the past, most of my workload back then involved other chores such as cooking, dishes and laundry but never sewing clothes was that given to me, to think I’m also of the Asian ethnicity (Sorry it seems I am not showing why Asians are also known to be tailors too)

To fix that I’ll set aside some time in the next 2 - 4 weeks where I’ll attempt to sew in its basic form first, as time pass by, I’ll probably learn Embroidery too, thankfully one of my maternal grandmothers likely knows how to do it. To anyone interested in learning how to sew, there are YouTube videos or websites where one can base their pattern from if an elderly or older relative is not an option to learn and have guidance from

As for me I’ll do this out of fun and practicality wise in the future, children after all can be mischievous and love to play games with their huge amount of energy it will likely be that clothes can be torn in their childlike games

Blessed Be,
Margaret

9 Likes

That’s great news! I’m glad you’re taking up sewing!!! :thread: My grandmother taught me how to sew and I learned in school. My elementary school was based on the arts. It shut down now unfortunately :pensive: anyway, once you get the hang of it, it gets easier.

6 Likes

I remember taking home economics in school & one of the things we had classes on was sewing. I made a purple dress with pink embroidery on the hems. I loved that dress. I wonder what happened to it? :thinking:

5 Likes

I took home economics too! I actually flunked sewing!!! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::rofl:
I can sew, the stitching may not look pretty, but it will hold. :joy:
It’s great that you’re keeping at it @anne2 :grin:

5 Likes

Yay! It makes me excited to hear that you’re going to start working on learning to sew! :star_struck: I absolutely love sewing, and have made several of my own shirts! I was actually planning on wearing one of them out to my birthday dinner tonight – I’ll try to remember to take a pic of it! It’s made out of a dinosaur fabric I found at the fabric store once :heart_eyes_cat: haha

6 Likes

Great job @anne2!

Happy Birthday @wade! :partying_face: :confetti_ball: :tada: :birthday:

5 Likes

Thank you <3 My birthday isn’t until Wednesday next week, but my dad and I were just too excited to wait to go to my favorite restaurant :sweat_smile: lol

5 Likes

All of the good luck to you! I flunked sewing in home economics. Couldn’t even sew a straight line. I hope you have a much easier time of it than I did.

4 Likes

I think it’s also because of the school curriculum too @christina4 , @Siofra and @Rowan , the only subjects both my junior and senior high offered were academic related only, 5 core subjects that thankfully had a no homework policy meaning we do all of the work inside school grounds only. It was a different approach compared to the traditional schooling in the country. Baby Thesis was the only exception to that rule, it was so similar to the dreaded Defense of College students that anyone who studied the subject may as well have taken a 3 - 4 years college course from junior high school

4 Likes

That is so exciting, @anne2! :star_struck:

Sewing is a wonderful skill and a great way to repair old clothes while also opening the door to making your own fashion or costumes :blush::thread: I haven’t had a sewing machine for years (not really something you can travel with! :sweat_smile: ) but my little travel sewing kit has saved me many times on the road.

Good luck and have fun! I’m cheering for you! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Thank you too @Amethyst , @Siofra , @TheTravelWitch , @wade , @christina4 and the other person whom I forgot what his / her name is (sorry about that),

I’ve heard how expensive embroidered clothes are, it’s due to the effort, dedication and time for it. However as for me the two things I only want to learn to embroid is a name with a design I don’t want to ever forget, no matter how much time has passed by and The Wings of Freedom (I am not referring to one of AoT’s final chapters, I’m talking about the logo seen in the Scouting Regiment or Survey Corps soldiers cape or is that considered as a jacket too?)

One thing’s for sure, sewing really does repairs or mends torn clothes and may provide a useful distraction from life’s worries, likely used by the elders in their time to their children, tribes in the provinces still do it, the city though? Not much, probably because most have the money to buy new ones when the old set is no longer acceptable

5 Likes

This is one of the reasons I recently got a bit more serious about sewing – it is a VERY good distraction from the things I need to distract myself from (for me, at least), and in the end, I have something useful! I also find it comforting to know how to sew becuase part of me wants to be as self-sufficient as possible, so knowing how to make clothes makes me feel empowered :slight_smile:

5 Likes