Newbie here for guidance!

Hi everyone!

My name is Miranda, and I’m 22, living in the U.K. I’ve just started on my journey and I just wanna say hi to the community :blush:

I’m really keen to start practicing, but I’m not sure where to start? If anybody has any very beginner friendly tips, I’d really appreciate some guidance!

Blessed be :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hi Miranda :slight_smile:

My advice would be to read a lot and see what resonates with you - and to take notes! I personally really liked Scott Cunningham’s book “Wicca - A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner”, because it gives a great overview of both theory and practice. I believe you can find the PDF online!

Blessed Be :star2:

4 Likes

Hi Miranda! Welcome to the Forum!! :wave:

My advice would be to take some time to practice meditating first. Learning to silence your mind and focus your energy is extremely important to the work you’ll do. I personally suggest you practice on visualization as well because it can be a very powerful thing.

I suggest you follow this audio guided meditation course :person_in_lotus_position:

Ultimately, your intention is what matters. :raised_hands: If you don’t have everything you need for a spell, you can always look for or write a different spell, but if you have to, you can always substitute.

It is completely possible to practice witchcraft without any tools, but your tools and ingredients carry deep symbolism and meaning so they will be your “training wheels” as a beginner. As you progress in your path, symbolism will come down to its personal meaning to you.

There are many types of witches and witchcraft, don’t feel like you need to label yourself right away.

Practice candle safety! :candle:

Go through this list of lessons and you’ll find most beginner things are covered there!

As @christine4 mentioned, books will be your best friends :books:! I personally also recommend “Drawing Down the Moon” by Margot Adler :+1:

Feel fre to use the forum to ask any questions or share any topics you are learning. Many blessings!! :pray:

6 Likes

Merry Meet and Welcome! You have come to the right place to learn! I would start with the courses here, and then get some books if possible, and just ask questions. We are here for you! Blessed Be!

5 Likes

Thank you all so much for the welcome and the suggestions! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Greetings and salutations!
I haven’t been here long myself. But everyone has been kind and welcoming. There are such wonderful resources and knowledgeable tidbits. I read the forums and emails. Perused lessons and completed.
My best advice, is to be like a sponge. Read, listen, discover, and soak it all up like a sponge. This is a beautiful and wonderful path, at least for myself.
Enjoy!
Blessed be!

5 Likes

I’m having a hard time meditating because I’m pretty high strung and have a hard time relaxing. Any ideas?

4 Likes

It’s totally normal to get anxious, even extremely anxious while meditating.

As the mind relaxes its defenses through meditation, stuff that has been in the unconscious mind enters the conscious mind. If you can sit and just let it happen, then you will eventually become anxiety free. The problem is that it takes time and the things that enter the conscious mind can be really scary, so it’s hard to sit through it.

Exploring your own anxiety can lead you to heart palpitations, intense crying, and more. This is actually a blessing in disguise. It means you became aware of a barrier. This panic is present within you even when you’re not meditating.

Keep meditating and contemplating this obstacle. Watch your anxiety occur. If you can sit through an anxiety attack and observe it arising and eventually going away, you won’t have another.

Other tips:

• Start with 5 minutes or 10 minutes at most.
  • Keep working with guided meditations. Some useful apps: Calm app, Headspace, Insight Timer.
  • If the anxiety becomes overwhelming, you should switch to concentrating on body sensations (or another object) to calm down.
  • Watch your breath, and when you get distracted, non-judgmentally move your awareness back to your breath.
  • Remove distractions. If your dogs are jumping all over you, you might want to leave them in another room while you are sitting.

That was my reply in a similar topic. I also wrote a post on holding concentration during meditation.

Here’s another topic which can be useful when struggling with meditation:

4 Likes

I remember when I was first meditating, I had such a hard time with it. I used the Headspace app & it had guided meditations for anxiety. It helped a lot & then once I got used to it I could sit & do the guided meditations without interruption & make it through the whole thing.

These are some great tips & things that I do when I am going to meditate. I have to make sure that my dogs aren’t in the room or that they are out of the room before I do any meditating.

Great information & very helpful!

3 Likes

https://spells8.com/ This sight would be my 1st suggestion. The best place to start is at the beginning. The members here are warm and caring people. You will be encouraged, not criticized. What a wonderful road you will travel. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Hi Miranda welcome to the community! Definitely start with the exercises at Spells8, they are very informative.
Blessed be.

3 Likes

As a person with anxiety issues, I think deep concentrated breathing can help. Practice that and relaxation. Soft music or nature sounds… Don’t let it throw you, it will come, it takes time. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi :raising_hand_woman: Miranda,
My name is Jeannie, I am a Libra :libra:! I love the moon
I like to know when the full moon, waxing, and crescent moon Occurs so I am tuned in with the energies of the moon.
Write know we are having a weekly challenge and it’s in activities :full_moon_with_face: Weekly Witchy CHALLENGE - Strength of the Full Moon
I love animal totems and you can figure out what animal you resonate with. I love the cat and connecting to Bast for Strength when I need it. Egyptians loved cats they were fascinated with them and worshiped them. Personally I am a animal lover. I love exotic animals. I fear our animals are endangered. I wish there was something I could do to help them. I know some people help feral cats. I never got involved but cats are so over populated and that’s why they have programs where you can help a stray animal get fixed. Pretty neat the city does that! I am glad to meet you and my arms our open if you need anything! Welcome!!!
Blessed be
Jeannie

3 Likes

I’m working on it since I’m at home in the healing process. Thanks to everyone I’m healing well just taking a little longer due to radiation wasn’t good to my skin. All is good, positive vibes!
Jypsy

2 Likes

Well spoken Miss Valerie

2 Likes