Not sure how to ask

I’m not sure how to ask this question but i wanting to expand my practice and start helping people around my area but is there a certain degree or anything I need before I can start helping others. So I can show people you know I’m legit I’m not here to harm you I just want to help. Like I said I’m not sure how to ask lol thank you to anyone who can help


How very kind of you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: When you say you want to help people in your area, are you meaning like with cleansings, spells, etc.? Because if so, there isn’t any sort of degree or anything you need to get, nor do I think degree matters. What I would look into is your local laws regarding services such as these. Some states, cities, and counties have different laws in place for spiritual services. That would be the first place to start :blush:

I wish you all the luck in your journey! That’s a mighty noble thing to do :heart:


Thank you! I just want to make sure I don’t get into no trouble but still help others I have a long story to post about a woman that practiced around here that helped me when I was younger my dad told me about and I felt like I should do the same and help!


No worries! I totally understand. I have to be careful here in Florida with tarot readings and stuff because of the law. We are required to be registered with the state, undergo extreme background and moral character checks, pay a bond of $2500, and be licensed (none of which I have because that’s outrageous and I can’t afford it)

Here's the ordinances for my county, in case you're interested.

Sec. 46-188. - Fortunetellers, clairvoyants, etc.

(a) Every fortuneteller, clairvoyant, palmist, astrologer, phrenologist, character reader, spirit medium, absent treatment healer, or mental healer and every person engaged in any occupation of a similar nature shall pay a business tax of $225.00.

(b) This section does not apply to religions who heal the sick by prayer. (Ord. No. 95-4, § 30.01, 5-22-1995)

Sec. 46-189. - Fortunetellers, clairvoyants, etc., County permit required; penalty.

(a) No business tax receipt to engage in the occupation of fortunetelling or any other pursuit for which a business tax receipt is required by Section 46-188, shall be issued to any person unless such person holds a permit therefor given by the County Administrator. No permit shall be issued until after the following conditions are fulfilled:

– (1) The applicant shall have been a resident of Florida.
– (2) The applicant shall establish good, moral character by not less than five residents of XXX County.
– (3) The applicant shall furnish a bond in the amount of $2,500.00 in a form approved by the County, by a surety licensed to do business in Florida, which shall guarantee the performance of all commitments, contracts, or promises made to customers by the holder of the permit applied for herein. The bond shall be in full force and effect for so long as a valid XXX County business tax receipt for occupations contemplated by this section is held.
– (4) The applicant shall furnish residence and employment histories, including evidence of other business tax receipts, if applicable, for at least three years prior to the date of the application.
– (5) The applicant shall furnish personal identification by at least a Florida driver’s license or Florida identification card.
– (6) The applicant shall furnish appropriate evidence of zoning verification.
– (7) As part of the investigation contemplated herein, the applicant shall be fingerprinted by the Sheriff.
– (8) The application, with a recent photograph of the applicant, along with the applicant’s bond, shall become a permanent part of the permit to be presented to the Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners who shall make investigation and examination of the applicant and report the results thereof to the County Administrator after completion of the investigation.
– (9) The County Administrator shall consider the application and the report of the Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners and order the permit either issued or denied. The order of the County Administrator shall be made in triplicate, with the original being given to the applicant, one copy retained by the Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners, and one by the Tax Collector.

(b) All County law enforcement officers shall aid and assist the Clerk of the Board of County Commissioners in conducting the examination of any applicant for the permit required for this section.

(c) Every receiptholder comprehended by this section, shall at all times while engaging in the occupation for which taxed, display at his place of business, both his business tax receipt and the permit herein required. Failure or refusal to do so shall be prima facie evidence of engaging in such occupation without a business tax receipt.

(d) Anyone engaging in any occupation comprehended by Section 46-188 without a business tax receipt and the permit required by this section or who shall obtain any such permit or business tax receipt by fraud or deceit shall be subject to prosecution and punishment as described in Section 46-165.

(e) All applications for permits required by this section shall be under oath.

(f) This section does not apply to religions who heal the sick by prayer. (Ord. No. 95-4, § 31.01, 5-22-1995)

It’s just really important to know what you’re getting yourself into ahead of time. While we all have the best intentions, the law isn’t always on our side, unfortunately. I don’t say this to dissuade you, of course! I hope you don’t take it this way. And I also hope that wherever you are, the laws are more beneficial :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:


Probably the same law here in Alabama you you know how the South feels about us! But thank you so much!!


You’re so welcome! I can try and look up your local laws if you need help - you can PM me if you want :blush: I wish you all the best in this eneavor!


You are so kind and thoughtful to offer to your skills in the name of helping others, Brandy! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Agreed 100%!

Depending on what kind of services someone hopes to share, I think it’s really smart to dig in and do some research about any local legislation :mag_right: :scroll:

The tarot reading permits are relevant to divination services, and if you hope to offer any kind of food/consumables (teas, potions, herbal remedies, etc) I’d recommend looking into local food selling laws. Here in MA, we have a Cottage Food Law that dictates what and how someone can legally sell out of their home kitchen.

Regulations like these vary from place to place, and range from very open or unregulated to quite restrictive. Once you have an idea about what types of services you’d like to offer (divination, herbal medicine, crystals, witchy goods, etc) it’s a great idea to run a search and get some ideas about what that might entail!

You have a very kind heart, Brandy, and I have no doubt that your skills and talents would be very much appreciated by those in need!

It takes a bit of creativity and knowing yourself/your practice, but I’m sure you’ll find some wonderful ways to use your talents :blush:

Good luck and many blessings! :sparkles:


This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.