October 2022 🎃 Collective Reading Check-In

Hey there everyone. I know this post is a bit late but I finally got around to doing this reading and writing up my post. October come in like a lion for me with Hurricane Ian. I had so much prep to do beforehand and then Ian bypassed us. So, here I am! But better late than never, right?

October brings us closer to Samhain (or Bealtaine depending on where you live) and the Otherworld and our world slowly come closer and closer together. I am hopeful that this reading will give us some insight into October and how the rest of the year will go.

Today we are looking back at our collective reading → Peering into 2022 :flower_playing_cards: Collective Tarot Reading to see if anything new has come up for October! If you are new here, this is a periodic tarot reading I do to shine light on the collective reading I do at the beginning of the year.

Was September Relevant?

Let’s look back at the card I pulled for September to see if it made sense with everything that happened.

September 2022: The Ten of Swords :sword_tarot:

Another card that I really don’t like! The Ten of Swords depicts a person lying in a field of flowers with ten swords in their back. There isn’t really a positive spin to put on this card. One or two swords wouldn’t be so bad, but ten swords all at once indicate an event of such magnitude that it swiftly knocks people off their feet. This card brings with it defeat, failure, and a sense of deep loss. The event may come from our own choices as the swords are often part of us. This may be a time when, quite literally, things come back to bite us in the ass.

If you want to refresh your memory on the September check-in, click here :tada:

In my Putting it Together section of last month, I mentioned that it was going to be a good month to teach your heart and mind to work in sync. Did I listen to that personally? Of course not! This is a hard lesson for me to learn and I definitely saw it last month. The Ten of Swords is one of my least favorite cards to pull in a reading because it shows an ugly truth that a lot of us are not always willing to face – sometimes we are the reason for our pain. Sometimes our inner-world, the way our mind puts the puzzle pieces together, causes us stress, worry, and turmoil. I feel that very much for September on a personal level, so I am not sure how the rest of you handled September.

:fallen_leaf: This month, we are looking at the month of October!

As a reminder, the collective reading for the month of October has us looking at The Hanged Man.

October 2022: The Hanged Man :fallen_leaf:

By far one of my favorite cards, The Hanged Man always reminds me of the story of Odin hanging himself from Yggdrasil and sacrificing parts of himself to gain knowledge. The Hanged Man in this image depicts a person hanging from their feet in what look like vines. They have flowers around their head and an apple in their hand, both of which signify growth and knowledge. This month will see us having to sacrifice parts of ourselves from a greater good. However, we won’t see how it affects us and the good it will do until we’re forced into the situation. Once our perspective changes, we can see things more clearly.

With this card in mind, I pulled three more cards to give us some more guidance on where September is headed.

The above image shows three cards from the Hanson-Roberts Tarot Deck laid out on a gray background. From left to right they are The Tower, The Ace of Cups Reversed, and The King of Rods.

:european_castle: The Tower – Ohh okay, so this is a scary card but it is one of my favorites no matter what deck I am reading. When coupled with The Hanged Man, The Tower juts out from the landscape around us and we can see our path more clearly. The Hanged Man can see the issue with their tower. They can see the crumbling foundation. With the clarity of The Hanged Man, I do not think The Tower will crumble down around us without warning. This month, whatever lessons we need to learn are ones that we will see coming. They will not take us by surprise, and for that, I am thankful.

:cup_tarot: The Ace of Cups Reversed – Usually a positive card, the Ace of Cups Reversed appeals to our coldness. It perfectly describes those times when we are feeling cold, empty, and devoid of emotion. It reminds me of The Vampire Diaries when they are turning off their humanity. Things just go…blank. We may find ourselves in a period of emotional apathy. This can be toward a specific person, an idea, or people in general. This honestly does not surprise me because we as a collective are dealing with a lot of tragic and traumatizing events. Sometimes it becomes overwhelming, but we should try not to get lost in this feeling.

:wand_tarot: The King of Rods – Knowing when to hold on to an idea and when to let go are important aspects for a King to have. That is what is shown here in the King of Rods. He looks forward, much like The Hanged Man, and tries to see the big picture. He is a leader in his own right and does not get lost in the small details that, in the grand scheme of things, may not matter all that much. He is a reminder for us to not get lost in the shuffle. When approaching a goal, deadline, or situation, sometimes it is better to look at the bigger picture and lead from a place of creativity rather than emotion or logic.

Just as a reminder…

:star: The Card of the Year: The Nine of Pentacles

• success, abundance, and reaping the benefits of our hard work

:star: Goals of 2022: The Knight of Swords Reversed

• impatience, rudeness, and an overall aggressive manner in endeavors
  • fighting for what we believe in

:star: Obstacles of 2022: The Nine of Swords

• collective trauma, guilt, and shame
  • hiding away and regretting our decisions

Putting it together…

The Tower does not scare me. At all. The Tower coupled with all of these cards, including The Hanged Man, gives me so much freakin’ hope for the month of October that I can’t even contain it. The Hanged Man gives us perspective. He gives us a much-needed shift in the way we view the world and our circumstances. He can see the crumbling Tower coming from miles away! That’s great news! Coupled with the lack of emotion from the Ace of Cups Reversed, which I think is actually a good thing, we can approach the month of October with a level head and not lead with an overly emotional state of existence. Without our emotions clouding our judgment, we can see the big picture for what it is and take notes from the King of Rods with how to approach our situations.

What do you think? Do you have any insight to share from the collective reading? And how do you think October is going to go?

If you want to do your own reading for the new month, you can find the current infographic below. I also have a blog post that goes into more detail about each card in the layout. You can find that post by clicking here.

12 Likes

I have to admit I got a little scared when I saw The Tower (I always do :sweat_smile:) but you really brought it all together in a beautiful and encouraging way- I’m feeling positive about what October has in store for us! :blush:

Thank you so much for this awesome breakdown and reading of the cards, Megan- I always love reading these collective check-ins! :heart:

6 Likes

You’re not alone! :rofl: That card scares a lot of people. I think the reading could have gone in an entirely different direction if we didn’t have the main card as The Hanged Man. :tarot_card: I’ve got high hopes for the month of October, even though my October isn’t starting out that great :sweat_smile:

You’re very welcome! :heart:

6 Likes

When I first started reading, the Tower terrified me! Now as I’ve grown more comfortable with my readings and connected with my decks, I welcome the Tower!! I see it as a chance to start a new. Yes, it might hurt, but you can’t have space for the new without removing the old first.

5 Likes

That’s exactly it! I think of The Tower as a welcome event – it’s just as you said. You can’t have space for new things while the old stuff is still gunking up the place. It’s also an opportunity to rebuild when you find that your logic, emotions, or beliefs are flawed or not concrete enough for your liking. It’s a perfect card :rofl: even if it can be terrifying!

5 Likes

This statement resonates so well with me! Thanks to Hades and Hel, I am in the process of lots (LOTS) of shadow work. I’m removing old beliefs and ideas that do not serve me. As scared as I was at the beginning of it, I find it refreshing now. I’ve learned much about who I am and why I do things.

4 Likes

Yes, me too! My views and beliefs are always changing so I feel like I’m constantly approaching Tower moments :laughing: but I guess that’s a good thing until I can pin down exactly who I am and what I believe.

5 Likes