Ointment of beeswax and essential oils to reduce bodly pain

Looking for recipe using beeswax to relieve bodly pains. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you and blessings!

7 Likes

Warm greetings, @benjamin!

The only beeswax products I currently use are chapstick and moisturizer cream. I’ve found beeswax to be a natural protectant and can help to lock in moisture :+1: As for magickal properties, I found an article from Grove and Grotto talks about using beeswax:

One of the main magickal advantages of beeswax is its suggestibility. In other words, it can take on whatever meaning the magician impresses into it. It will also absorb the influences of anointing oils, herbs, and other materials used in conjunction with the wax. Beeswax, properly prepared, may be used as a substitute for other materials that are impractical to obtain or work with. Ceremonial magicians use beeswax to create planetary talismans in the absence of certain alchemical metals—namely, Gold, Lead, and Mercury.

[From Grove and Grotto’s Magickal Materials: Beeswax]

While I haven’t used beeswax for bodily pains before, it looks like it can definitely be used for both medicinal and magickal benefits if you put together an anti-pain cream :+1:

Also, it’s great that when purchased from a beekeeper, using beeswax helps to support sustainable beekeeping practices and helps local bee populations :honeybee::two_hearts: Hooray for bees!

You might want to combine a beeswax cream or lotion with a meditation. @Silverbear recently shared a wonderful Pain Meditation that you may find helpful.

Good luck and blessed bee :honeybee:!

6 Likes

Hi Benjamin!

This is a homemade muscle rub with beeswax that may be what you’re looking for:

Ingredients:

• ½ cup coconut oil
  • ¼ cup grated beeswax
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne powder
  • 2 teaspoons ginger or turmeric powder (Note: While turmeric is an outstanding muscle and joint soother, be aware that it will cause some temporary skin discoloration)
  • 15 drops peppermint essential oil
  • 15 drops lavender essential oil
  • glass jar

Directions:

1. Pour all oils (except essential oils) into a jar. Place a saucepan with 2 inches of water over medium-low heat.
  2. Place jar in saucepan and allow contents to melt. Stir to combine. Add the cayenne and ginger/turmeric.
  3. Once combined, allow to cool slightly and then add in essential oils. Mix well.
  4. Pour mixture into metal tins or storage containers and allow to set.

Precautions and more information here: Homemade Muscle Rub DIY Recipe | Dr.Axe

I hope that helps! Let me know how it went

There’s a really great recipe for Homemade Beeswax Lotion by Wellness Mama that can also help.

6 Likes

SORE MUSCLE RUBS

There are many essential oils that help relieve sore, achy muscles. Here’s a list of some favorites :

• minty (peppermint, spearmint, wintergreen)
  • herbs (rosemary, thyme, basil, marjoram, lemongrass)
  • spices (black pepper, cinnamon, cassia, ginger)
  • floral (lavender, chamomile, clary sage)
  • woodsy/evergreen (cypress, sandalwood, cedarwood, pine, eucalyptus, juniper berry)
  • and, of course, frankincense essential oil– what isn’t it great for?!!

What’s in this DIY sore muscle rub?

coconut oil and olive oil – Act as carrier oils to dilute the essential oils. Diluting essential oils when used topically is beneficial because it both (1) makes it safer (less risk of skin reactions and overuse sensitivity) and (2) increases the effectiveness of the essential oils by slowing evaporation and improving absorption.

beeswax – Beeswax performs two functions in this salve: (1) it soothes, protects, and nourishes skin and (2) raises the melting temperature – coconut oil melts at 76 degrees F, so without the beeswax on a warm day, this salve would completely liquefy. Beeswax has a much higher melting temperature (144 degrees F), so adding a little beeswax helps to keep the rub at least somewhat solid in warm weather.

wintergreen essential oil – provides cooling and warming sensations, a natural analgesic (pain reliever), anti-inflammatory properties, acts as a natural numbing agent, and helps reduce muscle tension

peppermint essential oil – helps relax and ease muscle tension, aches, and pain. Plus, peppermint is cooling and anti-inflammatory.

lemongrass essential oil – Soothes achy muscles and tendons and adds a great scent

lavender essential oil – helps improve blood circulation, calms and reduces stress and tension, anti-inflammatory, soothes sore tired muscles, and provides temporary pain relief

helichrysum essential oil – powerful pain reliever, anti-inflammatory, and helps improve circulation

How to make homemade sore muscle rub?

step 1: Add 2 tablespoons of beeswax to a heat-safe glass bowl or measuring cup (this will be used to melt the beeswax using double boiler method)

step 2: to melt beeswax, put the heat-safe glass bowl/measuring cup into a pot of simmering water. Melt beeswax over medium heat. Stir occasionally. It will take about 15 minutes to melt beeswax. Make sure beeswax is completely melted, otherwise the beeswax might partially re-solidify, making the sore muscle rub grainy.

step 3: Add 1/4 cup coconut oil to the melted beeswax

step 4: Add 1/4 cup olive oil
stir to combine and melt the coconut oil (this won’t take long)

step 5: once completely melted, remove the beeswax and oil mixture from the heat. Allow it to cool for a few minutes.

After the oil/wax mixture has cooled for a few minutes, add the following essential oils and stir well

15 drops wintergreen essential oil
30 drops peppermint essential oil
30 drops lemongrass essential oil
20 drops lavender essential oil
20 drops helichrysum essential oil

note: this is a lot of drops of essential oil (115 to be exact), but because it is being diluted in 1/2 cup of oil, it is only a 5% dilution. For occasional use by healthy adult.

step 6: pour the mixture into containers (glass, metal, plastic #1 PET & plastic #2 HDPE jars are all safe for diluted essential oil blends like this)

step 7: clean up

Beeswax to hard to clean with just soap & water. So before it hardens, use paper towels to wipe out the glass bowl/measuring cup and any utensils you used to stir the mixture. Then once you’ve wiped off as much as you can, wash as usual with soap and water.

step 8: Allow the sore muscle rub to cool and solidify completely before putting the lid on (this might take a few hours to harden all the way through) You can put it in the refrigerator to speed this step up.

step 9 (optional): If you use a tin container, then you can decorate the lid with a little scrapbook paper and Modge Podge.

• cut out scrapbook paper to fit the lid
  • use a foam brush to apply a little Modge Podge to the top of the lid (this acts as the glue)
  • put paper on lid, and starting from the center, use your finger to press down and smooth out any bubbles
  • then cover the top of the paper with a little more Modge Podge to seal the paper
  • let it dry

USES:

• temporary relief of achy or overworked muscles
  • tense neck and shoulders
  • simple backaches
  • occasional muscle fatigue
  • after workout, housework, gardening, or a long day

notes

• Don’t use on skin with open wounds or cuts. It would hurt.
  • Test on small area of skin before using. If there’s any irritation, dilute with more carrier oils.
  • Wash hands well after using.

From SARAH : One Essential Community

5 Likes

@benjamin, I’m sorry you even had to ask this question but I’m thankful you did at least ask. I’m bookmarking this page because of all the wonderful responses and good resources shared.

5 Likes

@benjamin I’m so sorry for your pain. I know what that is like as I have chronic pain issues also. I love that you felt comfortable with us tonadk such a great question. I’m sending you healing energy & will keep you in my thoughts & prayers. I know what this can be like & how taxing it is on one’s physical & mental health. I’m also bookmarking the article for the wonderful recipes & help you have received.

Sending healing energy :star2:

4 Likes