Painting antiques VS refinishing

I’ve watched a lot of TV lately about people buying old furniture, stripping it then (eek!) Painting it…PAINTING it.

This is my personal opinion only.
I inherited a heavy old oval conversation table. It was made of a high grade oak, dated back about 150 years. In the long and abused life of the antique, it had been oiled, painted several times and last but worst?
Someone had put not one, but 2 layers of contact paper on it.

It took me a long time to scrape and refinish the piece but it finally looked like the table below. It has already served generations of my family & hopefully it will serve many more.
I did the same with an old mission rocker(1859), it came out beautifully.

Antique/ Vintage Oval Grecian Feet Tiger Oak Library Table Mersman

7 Likes

That’s a gorgeous table! I love that you put a lot of work into refinishing it rather than painting it. It would make a beautiful altar :laughing:

4 Likes

I’m with you! There was/is a trend of painting furntiture and then partially removing it to give furntiure a distressed look, but painting good wood distresses me more. Showing off the natural beauty of the wood appeals to me and I prefer staining to painting wherever possible.

3 Likes

Wow. Beautiful table! I can’t believe someone contact papered it! That’s a shame, I’m glad you rescued it!

4 Likes

@Garnet oh my I love your table. It looks very similar to mine, it was my grandmothers. Here is mine lol, don’t mind the clutter :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’ve been pricing these types of tables and they’re asking up to $2000 for them. My Grandma’s table is resting safely in my She Shed.

3 Likes

Wow lol. Your looks beautiful

4 Likes

That’s a gorgeous table, @Garnet- I can tell you put your heart and soul into giving it a new life! It really looks beautiful :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’ve seen a few painted masterpieces before, but in general I have to agree- there’s something really charming about the natural, rustic look of wooden furniture :evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

You did an amazing job at that! It looks very nicely done :white_check_mark:

4 Likes