Pantry Power! 🌿

:leaves:Herbal medications can mistakenly be perceived as safe because they are natural products. Discuss with your doctor the possible harmful effects of herbal medications and whether they interact with other medications you are using or with any diseases you may have.

:eyes:Example - St John’s wort interferes with the effect of many medications, including birth control pills, antidepressants, and anti-HIV medications.

:baby:t2:Avoid use of herbal medications in children and if you are pregnant, attempting to become pregnant, or breastfeeding.

:man_health_worker:t2::woman_health_worker:t2:This video is for educational purposes and should not replace the medical advice or care of your PCP. :blush:

9 Likes

Yes to this so, so much!

I always mention St. John’s Wort because it’s one that a lot of people are familiar with. I always say just because something is natural doesn’t mean it’s good/better for you. For example, Apricot kernels are natural and people eat them for a snack. BUT they also contain a chemical called Amygdalin which the body metabolizes into cyanide. So like…eating apricot kernels as a snack can kill you :sweat_smile:

Thank you for this!

7 Likes

I’ll jump on the food/herb call-out train too :joy: I’ve got a bone to pick with activated charcoal and grapefruit- both of which seem completely harmless, as they often appear in natural remedies/healthcare products/etc and often without warnings too. But both activated charcoal and grapefruit can interfere with medicines- causing very important (and potentially life-saving) medications to no longer work :scream:

Nature is powerful stuff- it can heal us, but it can just as easily kill us. Unfamiliar plants and herbs should always be approached with care, respect, and caution :pray:

On a more upbeat note, this is another really wonderful green witch video, @Silverbear! :green_heart: Thank you so much for sharing it! :blush:

5 Likes

ALSO…mugwort can cause uterine contracts…so this should not be taken if pregnant!

5 Likes

When I bought the herbs last weekend me and the lady were talking about the medicinal power of the different herbs. I think I need to do more research before I ingest any. I am on blood pressure medication, anti depressants, and hormone replacement. The wrong herb could put my health in a tail spin!

4 Likes

Yes, please make sure you know…there are A LOT of contraindications when mixing RX and herbal medicines. I’d say “Ask your doctor” and technically you should…HOWEVER, most “modern” doctors don’t know anything about herbal medicines. They just aren’t trained in that area.

5 Likes

As always I love and appreciate your videos!! I have been more into learning about all the different herbs and plants so this was perfect timing.

5 Likes