Poll: Do you consider "Gypsy" a slur?

I’m not sure I agree with this particular sentence. Even if a word is said without insult, it doesn’t take away the gravity or connotation of the word. For example, the “N” word is still very much a slur when used by non-Black people, even used without insult. Though some Black communities and individuals are reclaiming the word for themselves, it would be unwise of someone like me, a white American woman, to use the word even if I didn’t mean it as an insult because it’s still a racial slur.

However, I can agree with you on this.

9 Likes

In communications theory there is a a sender and a receiver, and messages are encoded on the sending end and decoded on the receiving end. Someone receiving a message may experience it as a insult, but that does not mean that the person sending the message intended it as an insult. If, for example, I use a swastika as part of a Jainist ritual, a Jewish person might feel shock and offense at the sight of the swastika, but that was a product of their feelings about the swastika, not the Jainist’s intent. I don’t use the word “gypsy” to refer to the Roma.

I think the N-word is a slur regardless of who uses it, because there really isn’t any positive association with it even in African American and Hispanic communities where it is used.

But these are just my views, and others are free to have their own.

7 Likes

while the term was used before the 1960’s it really became a negative slang term sometime around the mid to late 60s until the early '90s. The term gypsy was used to describe families of immigrant con artists that used folk magic and other means to cheat, rob, and steal from innocent and gullible people. It was also used in conjunction with streetwalkers who were known to associate with these families. Most were not even Romani, Some were greek, Italian, Romani, Russian, and a few others. The term was used as a blanket term for these people and many times the crimes themselves. This led to a fierce stigma to be laid upon many people just because they were immigrants or held non-American religious beliefs. This stigma is where many Italians, Romani, and greek were settled with the superstition that they would cast the evil eye upon any who upset them.

7 Likes

This conversation was eye opening, I had no idea the word was a slur for many people. Thank you for the information

6 Likes

I am so happy we have such a variety of witchy individuals to share their opinion here… I originally voted ‘no’ as to me it is not offensive, but in all honest i can see where a lot of people come from and it is indeed offensive especially if it is intended to hurt someone. Growing up around people who where considered ‘gypsys’ due to the fact they loves crystals and incense now makes me personally laugh at how others can view someone and categorise them as ‘different’ as they practice harmless practices… We all do things in our private lives which to others would be considered as weird or gross and anyone who denies it is in denial. We are humans and i believe as long as we truly abide the ‘Harm to none’ notion them be and do whatever you please and stuff everyone else’s opinions and thought. Take me for example, i wear the brightest clothing and don’t give a damn what others assume… If you like me them you are worth being liked if you make fun of me or hate me then you are not worth a second of my time.
BE YOU AND NO ONE ELSE, DO YOU FOR YOU AND NOT FOR OTHERS AS YOU ARE WORTH IT! Trust me i learned the hard way :blush:

10 Likes

I voted no - because to me, the word is not offensive – HOWEVER – once I learned that the word is offensive to others, I make it a point to NOT say or use that word…just like I would never use the “F-slur” towards the LGBTQ community and I would never use the “N-slur”…or any other racial slur for that matter.

However, if I know someone that considers themselves a Gypsy and they say – ya I am proud to be called that – then that changes everything.

I find these conversations intriguing - because (not here, but in general) everyone cries about not wanting to be labeled…but as a society it’s ALL we do. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

8 Likes

I use the professional name Laughing Gypsy for my psychic business and find that the only ones who are offended by the term are those who are not gypsies. Bottom line, If you are looking to be offended, you will be. I say we take back the magick of the word and the mystic of the people. I, myself use the term to imply the lifestyle I live which is nomadic and in honor of my past lives. I also make a living reading palms and the tarot for people. In the same way, I don’t believe that Stevie Nicks was using it in an offensive manner and in fact is used in reverence and honor to the gypsy soul. I have professionally read for several Romani people and have asked them what they thought about it. They LOVE the name gypsy and take NO OFFENSE to the term. It is the silly non-Roma people who are looking to be offended that have a problem with it. I say get over it and respect the gypsies by not taking offense with your cancel culture mentality.

7 Likes

I’m happy to hear that some people have enjoyed the name of your business :blush: It’s definitely a good reminder that cultures aren’t a monolith and will even disagree amongst themselves. Thank you for sharing your views.

5 Likes

“Reverence and honor.” I like that. I think it fits with my own view. I think usage matters. Is “witch” a slur? If it is being screamed with hostile intent by an angry mob with torches, uh, probably. But here, it is used as a term of inclusion, acceptance and recognition of “one of us.” I think that for all but a very words, it’s all in how you use it.

5 Likes

In my opinion the word gypsi is not offensive its like how we call hebrews jews its just a discription of a type of person in fact romainans more often the romani are refered to as gypsis so no its not offensive description not like the n word used for black skined people in all honesty these therms can be offensive but its all in the way its used. Say i identity as a gypsi thats not offensive but if i were to just decide someone on the street is a gypsi without even knowing them see the difference is completely how the term is used.

7 Likes