Pyrite: Fool's Gold

**PYRITE**

The mineral pyrite, or iron pyrite, also known as fool’s gold, is an iron sulfide with the chemical formula FeS₂. Pyrite is the most abundant sulfide mineral. Pyrite’s metallic luster and pale brass-yellow hue give it a superficial resemblance to gold, hence the well-known nickname of fool’s gold. [Wikipedia] Pyrite is so named from the Greek word for fire (pyr) because it can create sparks for starting a fire when struck against metal or stone
Pyrite Metaphysical Properties

Pyrite has long been valued as a strong protection stone that shields the wearer from negative energy as well as environmental pollutants. Thus, this stone helps promote physical well-being as well. Stimulating the second and third chakras, pyrite enhances strength of mind and willpower. Pyrite inspires the universal energies to activate the nourishing energies of the body. It encourages the ideal of health, intellect, and emotional well-being. It allows one to recognise the purity of the universe. It can be used in the treatment of bones and in the healing of cell formation. It treats lung disorders and bronchitis and has been used to reduce swelling and fevers. Pyrite aids in the treatment of infective disease, whilst also providing protection from the disease for the caregivers.

Pyrite should not get wet. Because of the high iron content in pyrite, water that comes in contact with pyrite can cause it to rust or discolor, and can lower the energetic vibration of it. It is best to keep pyrite dry and find other ways to energetically cleanse it.

A sign that a pyrite crystal has been exposed to water and is slightly damaged is to look at the colors that appear on it. Your pyrite should be a metallic silvery/gold, and have a shimmery effect when exposed to light. If you notice black or brown patches, this is likely rusty coatings from iron oxides. If you notice pale yellowish patches, this is likely the element sulfur.

The above picture is a photo I took of one of my pyrite crystals that has some sulfur growth on the surface. Notice the pale yellow color.
Mild discoloration will likely not affect the energetics or beauty of your pyrite; however, if your crystal is very damaged by water, it will look black and brown, and lose its beautiful shiny luster.

This usually signifies damage has occurred and that your crystal most likely took an energetic hit in its vibration. If this is the case, you should replace it with a new pyrite crystal to use for energetic purposes.

**Charging Pyrite**

1)Smoke- smuding with sage, incense or a smudge spray would work in place of smoke.

2)Salt- the best way to use salt to cleanse pyrite is to bury it in a bowl of sea salt for 4 hours-8 hours or overnight. Discard the salt after you do this.
3)Earth- Placing pyrite directly in or on the earth not only cleansing it, but it resets it back to its original state, before it was mined from the ground. This resets all of the programing it has been exposed, so that when you work with pyrite you two can start from a fresh, clean slate.

Take your pyrite outside and place it anywhere on the ground – whether that is a cement patio or dirt in your garden. Keep it there for 30 minutes-4 hours. Make sure the ground is not wet, or that the sun is not too hot.

1. Visualization-
    The safest way to cleanse all your crystals, including pyrite, is to use your own energy through imagination and visualization. If you are just getting started with intuitive development, this could seem intimidating at first, until you become more in tune with and trust your sense of self.

9 Likes

This is great! Thank you. I had read somewhere that putting pyrite in a bowl of water near your entryway keeps out negativity. I’m glad I read this before I ruined my new crystals!

3 Likes

Oh yeah, that wouldn’t be good. Glad I helped!

3 Likes

Thank you for this! I often wondered what Fool’s Gold actually was called. I used to have a piece, but I have no idea what happened to it now. It was years ago. I was thinking that I should get some Pyrite too. Now I’m going to go look through what my daughter has, there’s a good chance she saw the shiny and moved it to her room.

2 Likes

You did a great job. I’m looking forward to getting my new crystals so I can charge my pyrite for protection.

3 Likes

Thank you, Christina! This is very informative! :yellow_heart:

Adding this: Pyrite is so named from the Greek word for fire (pyr) because it can create sparks for starting a fire when struck against metal or stone.

Pyrite is really beautiful! And being a Fire stone it’s perfect for celebrating the upcoming sabbat (Mabon), a solar celebration!

4 Likes

@Francisco just one more reason that I should go get one!

4 Likes

That would have been great to have been added, I’m going to edit it. But, you’re very welcome :slight_smile: and a big you’re welcome to @Amethyst!!!:purple_heart:

3 Likes

Aye :heart::blush: you’re welcome

3 Likes

I was wondering which stone you would choose next- this is awesome information on pyrite, @christina4! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I had a few small pieces in my rock collection as a child- reading about this lovely stone brings back some fond memories :two_hearts: I didn’t know it was so important to keep it away from water- that is very helpful info! Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom, this was a great learning experience! :gem::sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

I’m happy to bring up find memories for you! :blush::purple_heart: And you’re quite welcome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@christina4 I love when you do the information about different stones. Most of the ones I have, I have a little card for, but you give information that isn’t on those cards and I just soak it in and I bookmark the posts in case I need to refer back to them. You do a great job with them!

3 Likes

Aw that means a lot to me hun! Thank you :relieved::heavy_heart_exclamation: I love making them for everyone too!

3 Likes

You are very welcome, it is well deserved

2 Likes