Recommendations for Classifications!

A very dear friend bequeathed me with an abundance of stones and crystals as a parting gift! There are many that are obvious or easily identified and have had the pleasure of dispersing, gifting, or using myself! However, there are a fairly abundant quantity of which I just cannot seem to figure out!

Is anyone here a stone/crystal expert, so to speak? Or does anyone recommend a really great app or site, or other form of (as close to free as possible!) classification tool that might be helpful!? :grimacing:

Any help would be stupendous!!

Oh! Side note…how do you add specific tags to your posts!? Like, I know this should have gone under the “Crystals” tag, but for the life of me, I could not figure out how I’m to do that!! lol :black_heart:

~Love and Light~

7 Likes

Hi! We do have quite a few crystal enthusiasts! I have found the app Rock Identifier

I have used this one & had wonderful results. Best if the background from lighter stones are on a black or dark background & dark stones on a white or lighter background (ie: piece of white paper), at tje very least a solid color background. I have been able to cross reference them with other images or books also.

The app will catalog the ones you have if you want it to also. You can delete them from the list or keep them depending on how many pictures of the same stone or repeating a stone.

8 Likes

Edit: I see that @Susurrus was posting about the same app at the same time as me!

Hello! I use Rock Identifier on Android. The free version is pretty good but the full version is only $29.99/year (can also pay monthly or weekly but it comes out more expensive those ways).

Screenshot_20221224_175339_One UI Home

You take pictures of the crystal/rock and it will match it with 2-4 options.

You can then accept it and add it to your collection.

6 Likes

@Susurrus & @Amaris_Bane,

Thank you both ladies! Unfortunately, I have had no luck with that app, as it is the one I have been using, with these particular 25!!

I’m going to upload some pictures of them real quick and see if anyone wants to try their hand!! Because I am not good enough yet at telling them apart and that app offers three different options of what it could be! I want to make sure I’m using the right stones for the right things!!

7 Likes

Feel free to take a stab at a few of them if you’re so inclined!! Because I cannot figure them out! lol

Aside from them all being beautiful and potentially helpful in rituals, etc. The friend who left them to me and I both feel as though if a stone speaks to someone and they pick it up, it’s meant to be theirs! So I would like to be able to tell people what it is they are walking away with!!

6 Likes

I wouldn’t be able to tell from pictures, but as I said, I usually use the app & then sort of cross reference them with other stones of mine or usually a book.

I do have a small pouch of black stones. Just black. I have no idea what they are :laughing: They could be Obsidian, Black Tourmaline, tumbled Shunghite. So when that happens (I haven’t been able to do this yet for these ones), but I take them to a reputable crystal shop that is close to me. Especially if it is a mix of tumbles & rough stones.

@christina4 may be able to assist with actual images or @marissa - they are much better at this type of identification than I am… they also both took the same courses I for becoming an Advanced Crystal practitioner.

Once you do know what you have or if you have others that you own & know what they are… you could place them in a pouch with a label of some sort. I have them with either information cards in the pouches or a slip of paper that tells me which stone that they are… I will say that the information cards came from shops that offer them when you get the stones.

One website that I have purchased some great stons from is: New Moon Beginnings & I know that Cape Cod Crystals has information cards for their crystals. Normally, or in most instances Tamed Wild will also send information cards for most of their crystals. I have quite the collection of information cards from duplicates :laughing:

I’m sorry that I couldn’t be of more help for you. Hopefully someone will be able to answer at least a few of the ones that you have posted. :revolving_hearts:

6 Likes

No need to apologize at all! You gave me a plethora of wonderful information! You are always a vault of info!! I really appreciate it. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

So just for reference, this is what I mean by it’s too hard to tell!!! The lighting in the second picture is terrible, the background color too! But the markings…I mean, who can tell?

5 Likes

Hi there @TheDarkestDesire… There is an app on google play called google lens… You take a photo and it searches the name… I found out about this app just yesterday when I was trying to identify plants… Where to place them, how much to water etc etc… Its awesome…

6 Likes

Oh my goodness! I forgot all about Google Lens!! lol. I will give it a shot.

Thanks for the reply. :smiley:

6 Likes

Oh my! I had forgotten about Google Lens also! That is another good one. I use that for plants & such in my area & when I’m out & about too!

4 Likes

Rock identifier is amazing! I used to have a subscription to it, but it has expired. It is fabulous either way though!

6 Likes

Hello @TheDarkestDesire I’m not an expert but I collect alot of stones and crystals.
#7 looks like a raw opal
#14 Looks like strawberry quartz
#21 looks like red jasper
#23 could be honey jasper
#10 wonder stone jasper
#19 banded agate
It is very hard to tell by pictures because they never seem to do the stone justice.
Nice collection. Lots of beauties :+1:
:butterfly:

6 Likes

Oh, boy how I know! That’s why I tried taking pictures from so many angles!! lol Still, it’s just not the same as the naked eye!

Thank you so much! This isn’t even the half of them!! These are just several of the one’s I’m struggling to identify! I’m in abundance atm for sure, and very appreciative of it! :heart_eyes:

Thank you for your eye, I will look at the ones you suggested and see if they are a match.

5 Likes

Greetings @TheDarkestDesire,

It sounds like you’ve got some great advice and tips from others on how to identify your crystals- good luck and I hope you’re able to learn more about your new treasures! :blush::gem:

If I can jump in real quick to answer this, Tags can be added to a new topic by anyone who has reached Trust Level 2 in the forum. When someone reaches that level, they will be able to see a new little box that looks like the following:

You can select any of the current tags in use to add to your new topic. Tags can only be added to the main/first post within a discussion. New tags can currently only be created by the Mod Team, however, users of all levels (and even those who are visiting the public parts of the forum anonymously) can use the Tag System to search for certain topics.

Hopefully that helped to answer your question about the tags! :grinning:

Wishing you all the best- enjoy your beautiful new treasures! :gem::sparkles:

5 Likes

Yes ma’am, you thouroughly answered my question, as always! You are the best! Thank you very muh. :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Awwww it’s my pleasure, @TheDarkestDesire- I’m happy if I could help! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Blessed be :heart:

4 Likes

Hello! This is a lovely collection. I’m not a pro by any means but here is what I think some are:
(1) Maybe a calcite
(9) Might be sulphur (if so, wash your hands after handling)
(11) Yellow Jasper
(12) Opal?
(13) Lace Agate
(14) Strawberry Quartz
(6) & (15) Labradorite
(16) & (19) Might both be Botswana Agate
(20) White Nephrite Jade
(22) Golden quartz
(23) Petrified wood

4 Likes

@Amaris_Bane,

Thank you for the reply!! I got the same on many of the ones you spoke of! Unfortunately there where other options given for them that are very, very similar!! I made my best guess on them, but I just hate thinking I’m potentially using the wrong things for the wrong things!! lol. Or like I said, telling someone else the wrong thing if they happend to be drawn to one. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I completely understand! What I do sometimes is do a Google search for images of what I think it is and compare the results to my crystal/stone.

4 Likes