Sima -- traditional Finnish mead

That’s a helpful tip- thanks, Celestia! :pray:

I strain but usually skip the fine-filtering step when I make other brews (like bone broth soup or fire cider). Just because I’m lazy :sweat_smile: The extra step really does make the liquid much clearer and more pure! I’ll keep it in mind when I get around to brewing the mead, thanks again! :heart:

I’m afraid I’m having a hard time finding an appropriate wine yeast- none of the grocery stores seems to have it. I’ll keep looking (and may have to order online) :grinning:

6 Likes

Mm, airy and fresh sounds wonderful. :black_heart:

5 Likes

I’ve made hooch never tried making this. Sounds good.

5 Likes

What’s hooch and how do you make it? :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Lol it’s like jailhouse alcoholic juice. Except I don’t put the bread like they would for the yeast. Fruit,sugar, Kool aid, I suppose you could add yeast but the fruit fermented in sugar should produce alcohol. Tons of different fruit. Put it all ina big bag and keep an eye on it and burp it so the bag doesn’t explode. I’d explain more but I have to go back inside to work.

Not a healthy juice lol :laughing:

5 Likes

So… Does it taste good or terrible? That’s the important question. :laughing:

5 Likes

It’s tastes amazing when the sugar ratio is on point.

5 Likes

Sounds a lot like what’s called “kilju” (translates to something like “scream” :joy:) around here… yeast, sugar and water, just the basics. Making it used to be illegal for decades, but people got around it by adding in a few raisins and saying that they were making wine :laughing:

That’s pretty much the base for this too. Just lemon and sugar (or honey if you prefer) for taste. I realized the same about the sugar ratio, at first it was very syrupy but when I added a bit more yeast and let it ferment a little more, it was perfect :drooling_face: :ok_hand:

5 Likes