Slavic Witchcraft: Spells and a Meditations to the Goddess & God

I don’t think there’s any reason to feel bad about it! It helps to give context, especially for those who are unfamiliar with Dizady. And just as you said, the book itself lists various names for the holiday at the start of each segment- no harm done! :blush:

:joy:

Shame I can’t start using that in English- that’s hilarious :laughing: :+1:

:hugs: :heart:

6 Likes

Right?! :rofl: I don’t think anyone would appreciate that at all.

6 Likes

Sorry, @BryWisteria and @MeganB. I got corrected. It means “hurts” not “itchy.” :sweat_smile: :joy:

5 Likes

That’s still worth a chuckle! (and still can’t be used in most daily conversations lol :joy:)

5 Likes

I’m with @BryWisteria - may not be correct, but both options are still really funny! :joy:

5 Likes

Continuing the discussion from :memo: Spells8 Book Club XXX - Readers' Reviews!:

One thing I forgot to mention in relation to this is that in ancient times, the gymnasium was also used for intellectual pursuits – where philosophers would often congregate and debate. This bled over into more modern times, where we’ve sometimes called the high school itself a gimnazija or similar (gymnasium).

The word γυμνάσιον (gumnásion), from Greek γυμνός (gumnós) ‘naked’ or ‘nude’, was first used in Ancient Greece, in the sense of a place for both physical and intellectual education of young men. The latter meaning of a place of intellectual education persisted in many European languages (including Albanian, Bulgarian, Czech, Dutch, Estonian, Greek, German, Hungarian, Macedonian, Polish, Russian, Scandinavian, Serbo-Croatian, Slovak and Slovenian), whereas in other languages, like English (gymnasium, gym) and Spanish (gimnasio), the former meaning of a place for physical education was retained. - Gymnasium (school) - Wikipedia

So to clarify, the word “gymnastics” in this context is a more holistic full body and mind approach to spirituality, I believe.

4 Likes

Looking at the origins, this makes sense! :grinning: Although I don’t think I’ll ever be able to forget about the connotation of gymnasium = naked now that it’s in my head :joy: Though perhaps it’s better than the memory of the awful leotard from gymnastics class :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Thank you for sharing your language wisdom, Katerina- these are so interesting to learn about! :pray: :heart: :books:

5 Likes

Oh no, we’ve replaced one silly image with another. :joy:

Which reminds me, my partner recently sent me this:

6 Likes

Settling debates by standing up and flexing… what a boss move :joy:

Also “Plato was a Chad” is hilarious and a most welcome new connotation- I love it :laughing: :+1:

5 Likes

Considering how busy things are going to get for me soon, I’m going to start preparing early for the upcoming Samhain between April 30th and May 1st. :smile:

There are a few more things from this book that I’d like to translate, so consider this a note to myself about getting that done. Hopefully. :laughing:

7 Likes

Never too early to start Sabbat prep! :blush:

Wishing you a happy and blessed Samhain, Katerina! :raised_hands: :heart:

6 Likes

Thanks @starborn for inspiring me to delve into my roots of Hungarian Witchcraft. I’m a Hungarian born in Sweden (so that makes me Hungarian with Swedish citizenship?). :smile: Hungarians may not consider themselves as neither slavs or germanic but it’s close enough for me.

Anyway, this really made me think about that I don’t know much about history of Hungarian witchcraft, folklore and mythology. Now I want to read more about it!

6 Likes

Oh, fun! :black_heart: I’m happy to have helped inspire you.

I hadn’t considered diving into witchcraft from my area yet, either. :thinking: There will likely be crossover with other Slavic nations, but there’s probably some weird and wacky Macedonian stuff I can dig into. :smile:

6 Likes