Smudging and COVID-19

Since smudging and other herbs kill airborne things, why would smudging not kill the virus in the air, or make it inert?? Your thoughts??

1 Like

In my opinion, when it comes to severe health issues like this COVID-19 virus, it’s always best to listen to the medical experts. Herbs and natural treatments can be used as a supplement, or to treat the symptoms, but we can’t ignore the medical science.

I did some googling and found this:

No home remedies can protect against COVID-19, including vitamin C, essential oils, silver colloid, sesame oil, garlic, fish tank cleaner, burning sage, and sipping water every 15 minutes.

The best approach is to adopt a good handwashing regimen and to avoid places where there may be unwell people.

There’s plenty more information here:

1 Like

We just have to stay vigilant and stay home and when we go out distance ourselves like we are told. It really blows my mind to see people ignoring everything going to the beach, mingling at parks…maybe this is nature’s way of getting rid of people who don’t listen… I have heard some of the people on tv who have gotten better and survived and now are thinking about how special life is…introspection it seems.

I agree with you there Roxanne. We do need to stay vigilante and follow the guildelines in place. I think the research that you’re referring to says that burning sage for an hour at a time might kill up to 94% of bacteria in the air. I did some more digging here and found this study.

We have observed that 1h treatment of medicinal smoke emanated by burning wood and a mixture of odoriferous and medicinal herbs (havan sámagri=material used in oblation to fire all over India), on aerial bacterial population caused over 94% reduction of bacterial counts by 60 min and the ability of the smoke to purify or disinfect the air and to make the environment cleaner was maintained up to 24h in the closed room. NCBI - Medicinal smoke reduces airborne bacteria.

Now, the key thing here is that this was tested on bacteria and not viruses. We must remember that bacteria are killed easier than viruses, which is why antibiotics are given as treatment for bacterial infections and not viral ones. The full text of this study is available for free at Academia.edu - linked here: https://www.academia.edu/2368667/Medicinal_smoke_reduces_airborne_bacteria

I have considered it, but I also need to remember that through my biology lessons, bacteria and viruses are biologically different and what kills or renders one inert will not always work on the other.

2 Likes

I agree, I still burn frankincense every day or copal, along with incense and I do smudge every couple of days. We burn with heat and that smokes every now and then…I just stay away from people and that is easy we live 12 miles out of town,. Hubby ran into town today and at ACE hardware, they have taped sections on the floor a minimum of 8’ and ask all to adhere to it when they come in. He also stopped at the Dollar Tree for cat food,and all were doing the 6’ distancing. He did see one with a mask on and I have been told they are only good to wear if the wearer has a cough. We will all get through this.

1 Like